996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mid level chassis lift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Mid level chassis lift?

I am considering a mid level chassis lift, does anyone have any experiences with a specific model and removing a 996 (turbo) motor/tranny?

Most I have seen have cross bars that look like they would interfere.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
if the lift is wide enough to support the 4 jack points on inner sides of wheels, should be fine with the use of spacers. these cars have plastic covers underside, the opening is small so get smaller ones that'll fit.

have seen some mid lifts that are parrallel planks

I haven't tried but something like this should work:

Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Most I have looked at are not long enough to hit all 4 jacking points. Just about 2-3" too short. At least the ones that have good underside access.

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 01-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
heeltoe914 has a spectacular aura aboutheeltoe914 has a spectacular aura aboutheeltoe914 has a spectacular aura about
You will be very happy if you go with a Mid lift that has the swingout arms. I have two and it allows me to work on many cars with no problems and it really saves your back. I have one that takes the car up about 52-58 Inches. Its very stable that high. And yes you can remove the motor or trans, on a 911 or a 914. I use a adjustable cart so I can remove things and put them back in.

Last edited by heeltoe914; 01-11-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heeltoe914
You will be very happy if you go with a Mid lift that has the swingout arms. I have to and it allows me to work on many cas with no problems and it really saves your back. I have one that takes the car up about 52-58 Inches. Its very stable that high. And yes your can remove tha motor or trans, on a 911 or a 914. I use a adjustable cark so I can remove things and put them back in.
Which one do you have?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I am also looking at a two post lift. I am limited in space and ceiling height. I was thinking about this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5e5c...eature=related Maxjax

Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
I am also looking at a two post lift. I am limited in space and ceiling height.
That one looks great but I'd suffer consequences after telling my wife "honey great news, I found a way to work under my car easily and safely. You just can't park your car in the garage anymore."

Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm actually thinking about buying a Kwiklift so I can more easily do suspension alignments... My problem with my twinpost is it relieves the suspension and i need it weighted.

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Are you looking for a permament solution to your lifting needs? Are you willing to tear up your concrete in the garage for a permament install?

I'll probably have a few inground scissor lifts for sale this summer. PM your e-mail and I'll shoot you some photos as to what I'm talking about.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
I was also looking at this lift but since the 2 posts are not joined together at the top by another beam like most other 2 post lifts, I don't know if I can trust how strong it is.

Originally Posted by jpflip
I am also looking at a two post lift. I am limited in space and ceiling height. I was thinking about this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5e5c...eature=related Maxjax

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I am weighing the benefits of both. I like the twin post idea but dont trust my and my cars safety to a few bolts in concrete. I was contemplating moving in a couple years, hence the hesitation to tear up the garage, otherwise its a no brainer. I might be interested in your scissors lift, were you able to pull a 996 motor/tranny with it? PM on the way.

Originally Posted by adam699
Are you looking for a permament solution to your lifting needs? Are you willing to tear up your concrete in the garage for a permament install?

I'll probably have a few inground scissor lifts for sale this summer. PM your e-mail and I'll shoot you some photos as to what I'm talking about.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
www.maxjaxusa.com

Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
I was also looking at this lift but since the 2 posts are not joined together at the top by another beam like most other 2 post lifts, I don't know if I can trust how strong it is.
It is in fact scary. See the Installation instruction "Most residential or commercial foundations are strong enough to support a MaxJax™ lift. The minimum requirements are 2500-3000 PSI 4" thick concrete."

But in my case I need to get the floor redone.... And there is also a "anchor stress bolt analysis:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/specifications.html

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Mr swed is infamous around these parts
Im using a Bend pack midlift that i bought when i had the 993.
it works perfect with the 996t. used it to lower engine and trany.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Given enough space and investment in redoing the floor. double scissor is the best imo. the swing arm type are a pita to park a car and open doors. and this one allows alignment, very safe.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
madness what brand is that one and approx price?