996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Again, don't pull your car out of service until you have parts in your hands... I've been told by at least four others members over the past year that they had suffered the "4 month" transmission build, so this is NOT just a Mike Kelly's bad luck thing...

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get this!... In UK when we order parts from Germany (inc Motorsport) we have them within 3/4 Days

Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mikelly
We wanted to get the strongest mainshaft available, so we were trying to get a 997GT2 or TT unit. If I had it to do over again, I'd have just bought a complete custom "pre-built" transmission. I can tell you this much, I won't believe anyone ever again when it comes to "large" or "major" parts source issues. I'll also say this much: If parts sourcing for this car continues to become a long term issue, mine will be sold and I'll move on to another, more well sourced platform. I'll never go thru this again...

Very unhappy at this point...
Mike
Who sells pre-built trannys, after reading what you've been through maybe I should consider this option.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
Hey Jeff can you explain why adding steel synchros to the tranny will make the car almost impossilble to sell? I have to go into my tranny and was thinking of using steel synchros since I do alot of track days and never heard this before.

Noise.

Unless the person buying is a track person of course...what I experienced. Not sure if it was perfectly true, but it scared me off steel teeth...perhaps an error. Not sure. If I get that good, a cup car might be in my future. That would require a much larger paycheck of course.

Jeff

Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Oh and one more thing...

I was outright lied to by several "OEM sources" who claimed they had specific parts "in stock, on the shelf and ready to ship" for this little tranny build.

Again, don't pull your car out of service until you have parts in your hands... I've been told by at least four others members over the past year that they had suffered the "4 month" transmission build, so this is NOT just a Mike Kelly's bad luck thing...

Mike
Hrm, that sounds to me like shops that don't actually STOCK parts but instead drop ship from others. Suuuure they have it - then they don't when you want it. Hit me when I wanted an EBC - Titan was the only one that could come through for me. Oh and they don't actually keep their web site up to date on the stock either. After they tell you sorry they no longer have it you check their site and it's still there for sale....

Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
Well this is certainly an interesting thread. I realize that working with an Indy that you trust is always preferable to sending this out to someone who you don't know, but unless there was a large constraint on the cost involved in getting some of these parts, you certainly did not need to wait for 4 weeks. Porsche will over night parts, usually for an additional 20% or so, but you get them in about a week through most dealerships. Even parts from Porsche Motorsport will normally be received in a week.

While I can not say for sure why you have had to experience this delay, other then the above mentioned. I can tell you that for the most part, parts are fairly easy to come by. I know that depending on the modifications you have made, we normally can turn a gearbox around in about 48 hours for most builds. Now we are somewhat unique in the sense that we build so many of these that we stock a great many parts needed for most rebuilds. That said there are occasions that parts will need to be ordered from PAG. When this is needed we normally ask the client what their timeline is for completion, as well as if they wish us to have them brought in over night.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties with this rebuild. Should you happen to need anything in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
So Erik, you may well become my new best friend, because I'm losing faith fast in my indy.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Mike,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a problem getting parts for your repairs.

If there's anything we can help you with, please let me know. I've got all of the standard service parts for that gearbox in stock and on the shelf. While I do not currently stock the newest 997TT mainshaft with 1/2 gearset, I do have about half a dozen alternative ratios available in our 2 piece motorsports mainshaft. While not really something you want to use on a "quiet" street car, definitely a good, albeit expensive, option for a track car.

Kind Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
303-530-1094

Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Mike,

In the future, probably the best guy for tranny repair in the industry is Brian Copan. He is at most of the big Porsche Race events and he does the tranny's for many of the teams. Many times right at the track. He has immediate access to any part you could think of. He did the tranny for my car.

He is located in Ohio. He is fast and reliable. If you want more information PM me.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTgears
Mike,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a problem getting parts for your repairs.

If there's anything we can help you with, please let me know. I've got all of the standard service parts for that gearbox in stock and on the shelf. While I do not currently stock the newest 997TT mainshaft with 1/2 gearset, I do have about half a dozen alternative ratios available in our 2 piece motorsports mainshaft. While not really something you want to use on a "quiet" street car, definitely a good, albeit expensive, option for a track car.

Kind Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
303-530-1094

Matt,

Are you any relation or associated with Paul Guard of Guard Gears who the last time I spoke to a number of years ago was in Hawaii.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Matt,

Are you any relation or associated with Paul Guard of Guard Gears who the last time I spoke to a number of years ago was in Hawaii.
Same company with a new name and location. Paul ran the business out of his home, first in Hawaii, and then for the last ten plus years in California. He recently retired and took me in as a partner in the business. I run the day to day side of the business now from a warehouse in Colorado. Paul is still involved in product development and R&D, but more than anything these days he's a snowboarder in the winter and a surfer in the summer. He's earned it. I've got big shoes to fill, but he's given me a great product line to represent, which makes it a lot easier.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
Mike,

Four MONTHS????? Really?? Wow, I am really sorry to hear that. By all means let me know if I can help you in the future. I think we even had that shaft in stock. Not what you want to hear, but at any rate. I am here to help so if it does not work out well for you please get in touch.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
...And still, no car...

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
I feel your pain. Waiting for parts in the aftermarket scene seems to be the norm rather than the exception, at least based on personal experience. I still recall waiting about a month for a turbo timer/boost gauge I ordered for my RX-7. When the part finally came, the speed shop told me they forgot to order the vehicle specific harness that came with it...
More recently, it was carbon fiber interior trim set for an e46 M3. Shop told me they had it in stock, but only shipped out part of the set. The rest was out of stock. What was I supposed to be with an incomplete CF interior set? That one took 1 1/2 months to deliver.
Still not as bad as unable to drive the car for 4 months though. I wish you luck.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
...And still, no car... I'm at the point now that I'm so frustrated with how long this process has taken that I'm totally ready to just pull the plug and sell it...Pretty f'n disgusted at this point...

They "might" have gotten the clutch kit back today and "might" get it back together tomorrow, just in time for another f'n snow storm... Did I mention my F'n mood is in the tank?

Mike
Hey Mike,

I know how you are feeling. I was gutted last year when I blew my head gasket. My car was down for most of the year, I had exactly the same thoughts.

You and I are quite similar as we take this stuff to heart. I cannot do internal motor work as I dont have the tools, I felt helpless too.

I know it is hard to swallow but some things take time, these are life lessons I guess for better or for worse.

I know this might sound like a cliche but most of us on this forum have a very nice life here in North America, so many other people in this world wonder where their next meal is coming from.

Lets try and put it in perspective. I realize your frustration, I really do!

It will come together when it is supposed to, pushing sometimes makes things worse for ourselves and everybody around you. It will get done in due time.

Cheers,

Ben

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...