996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, well I ain't doing this again...

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I had the good fortune of going through Dougherty Automotive Services (DAS) in Philly and they have deep, deep routes and connections. Given those, the parts were obtained in about 4 days for my car when I needed the parts. My mechanic was a crew chief on a World Challenge team (GT) at the time, etc. Cup cars in parts all over the place. See the second gear pop-out thread that used to be a sticky...there are a few things any 996TT'er should consider having done to prevent 2nd gear pop out while in there. If funds allow and you track the car..., do a tranny cooler. I was talked out of steel synchros...as I drive it on the street....someday I might regret that decision, but right now I do not having heard a car with steel synchros...would have made the car almost impossible to sell....IMHO.

Sorry to hear of your saga. Stinks!

Jeff
Steel synchros made my transmission no more difficult to drive.
I source parts from Porsche and Gaurd Transmission and finally Todd Knighton @ Protomotive (who did the work). It was difficult for me to come up with every single part but worth it in the end.
Mike you will come out ahead once you are done.
GL

Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Hang in there Mike, it'll be over soon.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
50 WEEKS was the longest I ever waited for a shop to get work done. And it was still screwed up in the end! So hang in there, you will get through this and hopefully everything will be done RIGHT and be done for awhile. It's cold here, it's gross outside, and yeah it's going to snow yet again. So it's not like you could be driving it - I'm sure not driving mine! I know what it feels like to be told you're almost there - and then aren't. you have other projects, now might be a good time to try to make a little progress on them while still working on this. Fingers crossed the wait is worth it, it does suck to go through this kind of hell though but sadly it's not unusual. Name them and shame them, especially if it's part suppliers yanking your chain.......

Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
How hard / costly would it be to have the mainshaft made by a machine shop? I have no idea about that, but might be an option...

Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Mike,

I'll be home next weekend and will use a different shipper and ship what I have, use what you can, return what you cant. Will this help you???

(For the forum, I'm the guy in Denver who's stuff was lost and eventually found by the UPS Store.

//Anders

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yea, well I ain't doing this again... I'll sell and move on... I'm pretty disgusted with the whole process... This is beyond unacceptable...

I'm shaking this car down, installing the PYLE of parts I have yet to put on the car, and sorting it out... Then I may well put it on the market and move on... If this is what happens when you have a "failure", I guess I'm just not "porsche" material...

Mike

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Nice guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what this forum is about. Rep for you sir.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Chris, They've got the trans back together finally, so I don't need those parts, but thanks man, seriously. The big issue now is if Clutchmasters was able to ship the parts back to lufteknic.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Mike, I have been in your shoes, to say that it is unnerving and frustrating is an understatement. I have been told 4-6 weeks for what turned into a 4 month job. You try to be patient, respectful and understanding, then after some time they don't return calls or emails, so you show in person which is annoying for everyone.

(rant) When you start asking about the project and figuring out the delays then you get really pissed off because of the gross incompetence and mismanagement. I have had to leave shops or I would explode and more than likely risk the completion of the project and/or safety of my car. Yeah, it gets this bad.

Another 6speeder that lives near me (you know who it is) and I had the same experiences, so I know it wasn't just me being too much of a type A. What we came up with is this, both of our professions deal with life and death (direct or indirectly) in a an environment that demands a high level of excellence and professionalism, in short, we expect results from ourselves, so in turn we expect it from others.

Some would argue that these are just cars, its nice to be able to afford them so relax, to which I would strongly disagree. I am paying for this service, not that the cost should matter, but it isn't cheap. If I am paying for it then there should be a reasonable expectation of professionalism.

In addition, you might have follow up experiences such as an entire exhaust side having equally loose bolts, turbo studs falling out, boost leaks, etc, and now you have to get the car back in to have them resolve the issues. I could almost write a book about this.

Sure, we could all flame away on the forums, but where does that leave us? A dealer who may or may not support our upgrades? A 50/50 chance of quality work at a fair price? Doing the work ourselves and in doing so accepting the risk? We are lucky to have a somewhat strong group locally, a good friend with a Porsche background for technical reference but not many choices when it comes to things beyond our personal skillset, I personally can do a few things, rebuilding a tranny is not one of them. (/rant)

Mike, I feel for you brother, I do. I had the same thoughts as you during my last issue, when it becomes miserable, then it's not worth it anymore. I'm not going to blow smoke up your *** and say that when you get your car back it will all be good because it wont, but it also wont matter what car you're in either. We both have fantastic cars with lots of time, money, blood, sweat and tears invested (I wont go into my stated/agreed value argument I have am having with my ins. co to protect my investment) but in all honesty, I would stay with the 996tt, it truly is the best supercar deal out there, NOTHING gives a better value for the dollar, and when you eventually do get your car back in your garage it will make all the difference.

Let me know if you need anything.

Btw, I am in SoVa stuck at my hotel with 6-12" of snow, how's it up in your woods? I'll be in NoVa next week, are you going to be in town?

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Chris, They've got the trans back together finally, so I don't need those parts, but thanks man, seriously. The big issue now is if Clutchmasters was able to ship the parts back to lufteknic.

For you other guys, here's why I'm so pissed... I still have a number of parts to install and an alignment to do. I still have to fabricate and instal the passenger seat mounting for the track seat we're using, and the driver's seat base/slider/mounts...I also have some brake work to do on the car, and did I mention I haven't driven the car in five months? Little rusty? Ya think?

And the first track event is March 1/2. If the car was home right now, I could be tackling these other issues... What really has me steamed at this point is the ineptitude of the shop doing the work. They had the components of the clutch kit out since the end of November. They waited until three ago to ship them to clutchmasters...

I'm big on promoting people when they do good. I even look past issues when they don't (like trying three times until they get the RIGHT clutch kit, and not complaining when I miss a pre-paid event that I can't get reembursed for while they "experiment"). But when the car comes home this time, I'm affraid I'll be shopping for another shop to support the minimal work I oursource. Especially with what I've learned about "parts availability" over the last two weeks... This trans COULD have been done in less than 4 weeks.

Mike

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
NoVa is also getting pounded. My area wasn't supposed to get much - NOT.

What you've said above is all true. Shops get away with crap work because there's few places to turn and they can be an *** when you ask for support if you've somehow wronged them by telling the truth. the sad thing is EVERY shop has bad stories, there's always someone unhappy somewhere. Sometimes the unhappiness is justified, sometimes not. Sometimes there's mismanagement and sometimes things just happen. the worst is when it's mismanagement like Mike's clutch. This far into it that job should've been long done. When you're in a business professionally where poor planning or a screwup can cost a life then YES you expect others to plan well and manage things correctly. When that doesn't occur, especially when still paying top dollar, you get angry and frustrated - it sux! I don't know how you avoid this, communication is certainly key but many shops will not communicate or will not admit to mistakes until it's plainly obvious. Why does this have to be so hard?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
I have to do my transmission in the spring when I get the car out of storage. Can anyone tell me were the best places are to source parts quickly for the transmission.

I won't know what parts are needed until we open up the tranny, but I would sure like to have some good reliable sources for parts before I begin.

After reading what Mike has been through I'm really not looking forward to doing this.

Mike your almost at the finish line hang in there. I went through something like this last season with my car, problem after problem and missed a bunch of prepaid track days and now I have to do the tranny. Not fun.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a 996tt main shaft and a few gears if needed, there is a shop in Boulder, CO who is supposed be national level, I am sure there are others as well.

Actually *getting* the parts is a MF'r, if its during race season, parts are magically redirected to the teams, it sucks ***** if you ask me.

If your motor is moderately modded, HIGHLY recommend one of the tranny coolers.

Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
I have to do my transmission in the spring when I get the car out of storage. Can anyone tell me were the best places are to source parts quickly for the transmission.

I won't know what parts are needed until we open up the tranny, but I would sure like to have some good reliable sources for parts before I begin.

After reading what Mike has been through I'm really not looking forward to doing this.

Mike your almost at the finish line hang in there. I went through something like this last season with my car, problem after problem and missed a bunch of prepaid track days and now I have to do the tranny. Not fun.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Liquidcooled

Ship your tranny to Brian Copans at BMC&G and get him to do it. I have done it twice now and you will be very happy with the results. There is nobody better in NA to work on your tranny!

Buy a 120 liter Igloo cooler from Walmart or Rona, the tranny fits perfectly in there, send it ground via YRC and it will be done in 3-4 weeks including shipping. Talk to Pam Copans on how I did the paperwork .

Cheers,

Ben

Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Yup, If I have it to do over again, I'll be dropping my trans and shipping it out, most likely to Brian Copans. I won't rely on "local pros" with hollow promises again... I'm done with that ****.

Mike

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
I have a 996tt main shaft and a few gears if needed, there is a shop in Boulder, CO who is supposed be national level, I am sure there are others as well.

Actually *getting* the parts is a MF'r, if its during race season, parts are magically redirected to the teams, it sucks ***** if you ask me.

If your motor is moderately modded, HIGHLY recommend one of the tranny coolers.
If I need any of these part I will get in touch.

Do you have a phone number for the shop in Boulder, CO? you can PM me the info if you like.

I do have more power than stock and track the car so the tranny cooler sounds like a good idea. I also want to beef up the tranny a bit, do you have any recommendations ?

Originally Posted by BigBadBen
Ship your tranny to Brian Copans at BMC&G and get him to do it. I have done it twice now and you will be very happy with the results. There is nobody better in NA to work on your tranny!

Buy a 120 liter Igloo cooler from Walmart or Rona, the tranny fits perfectly in there, send it ground via YRC and it will be done in 3-4 weeks including shipping. Talk to Pam Copans on how I did the paperwork .

Cheers,

Ben
I've heard of Brian Copans and the amazing work he does, but I was hoping not to have to ship the tranny, but I'm starting to think shipping it out is the only way I will get it built right and hopefully fast.

I was told there is a great shop in BC Canada that works on Porsches and runs cup cars in the Grand Am series , I'm not sure how close they are to you but the name of the shop is Bullit Racing, have you heard of them?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...