996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Let me do some research on the contact info, there were a couple other good names on this thread as well, I only say Boulder as they are somewhat local.

Parts: I am interested in longevity as well as performance, I used RSR gears on 2,3 and 4, steel synchros, a Gard LSD and the 997 GT3 liquid to liquid cooler, but I think the air to liquid cooler would be just as effective for your usage. A lessons learned would be to do the GT2 clutch conversion as well, I had the tranny case prepped for it but after 4 months, I ran out of patience. (btw, I am told the GT2 is air to liquid and the GT3 RSR is liquid/liquid).

The LSD is fantastic, I used to spin the tires at 4500rpm in 4th(at 6000'+ altitude) not anymore :-) The cooler is very effective, its basically a heat exchanger between the radiator/tranny fluid.

I also went with different ratios to make 1st and 2nd more useful, but dont push 1st too far out, it can be a ***** to launch nicely on a high hp clutch.

Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
If I need any of these part I will get in touch.

Do you have a phone number for the shop in Boulder, CO? you can PM me the info if you like.

I do have more power than stock and track the car so the tranny cooler sounds like a good idea. I also want to beef up the tranny a bit, do you have any recommendations ?

I've heard of Brian Copans and the amazing work he does, but I was hoping not to have to ship the tranny, but I'm starting to think shipping it out is the only way I will get it built right and hopefully fast.

I was told there is a great shop in BC Canada that works on Porsches and runs cup cars in the Grand Am series , I'm not sure how close they are to you but the name of the shop is Bullit Racing, have you heard of them?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !

I've heard of Brian Copans and the amazing work he does, but I was hoping not to have to ship the tranny, but I'm starting to think shipping it out is the only way I will get it built right and hopefully fast.

I was told there is a great shop in BC Canada that works on Porsches and runs cup cars in the Grand Am series , I'm not sure how close they are to you but the name of the shop is Bullit Racing, have you heard of them?
No, I have not heard of them. Mind you I do all the work on my car myself other than internal engine and tranny work. I don't trust anybody but myself to work on my car. I do a better job anyway.

Lots of people say they can do this stuff because they have a shop....most of the time they are learning on your car!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Let me do some research on the contact info, there were a couple other good names on this thread as well, I only say Boulder as they are somewhat local.

Parts: I am interested in longevity as well as performance, I used RSR gears on 2,3 and 4, steel synchros, a Gard LSD and the 997 GT3 liquid to liquid cooler, but I think the air to liquid cooler would be just as effective for your usage. A lessons learned would be to do the GT2 clutch conversion as well, I had the tranny case prepped for it but after 4 months, I ran out of patience. (btw, I am told the GT2 is air to liquid and the GT3 RSR is liquid/liquid).

The LSD is fantastic, I used to spin the tires at 4500rpm in 4th(at 6000'+ altitude) not anymore :-) The cooler is very effective, its basically a heat exchanger between the radiator/tranny fluid.

I also went with different ratios to make 1st and 2nd more useful, but dont push 1st too far out, it can be a ***** to launch nicely on a high hp clutch.
Would you know what the stock ratios are, and the ratios you changed to for 1st and 2nd?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I have spreadsheets I can get to you next weekend, you can adjust rpm etc but I dont have my personal machine with me. However, you can do a search for the 996 turbo vs 997GT2 ratios. Keep in mind 3rd is what definitely needs upgrading to the stronger RSR version, at least in my situation.

Would you know what the stock ratios are, and the ratios you changed to for 1st and 2nd?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
I have spreadsheets I can get to you next weekend, you can adjust rpm etc but I dont have my personal machine with me. However, you can do a search for the 996 turbo vs 997GT2 ratios. Keep in mind 3rd is what definitely needs upgrading to the stronger RSR version, at least in my situation.
Thanks, that will help a lot. I'm definitely upgrading 3rd gear, I was told to go with a 997TT 08 3rd gear because it is thicker and stronger, I wonder if the RSR 3rd gear is the same.

Last edited by Liquidcooled; 01-31-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by BigBadBen
No, I have not heard of them. Mind you I do all the work on my car myself other than internal engine and tranny work. I don't trust anybody but myself to work on my car. I do a better job anyway.

Lots of people say they can do this stuff because they have a shop....most of the time they are learning on your car!
The indy shop I use has dropped the ball a few times when working on my car and it cost me time off work and missed track days.

I'm just having a hard time finding good info I can use like a shop manual to help me work on this car myself. I agree the more you can do yourself the better, it's hard to find a shop that will take the same care and time to work on your car like you will.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I sent you a CD with the Shop manuals on it. You didn't get it?

Someone have a suggestion where I could post these so people could just download them? To large to email out.

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I don't get this!... In UK when we order parts from Germany (inc Motorsport) we have them within 3/4 Days

stevo, correct me if I am wrong, but porsche europe dealers are supposed to stock spares for every part of our cars. In the US porsche isn't required to do this for us Fat amaricans. So when Mike and Deepblue were looking for parts last year, there was only 2 new GT2 mainshafts in the country(from ehat I was told by two different sources). And one got diverted to a race team when it was supposed to be in route to Deepblue. Luckily there was another laying around hidden in another racers whse. I have looked for new GT2 mainshafts and they are hard to come by. I was actually looking for one for Mike, since Chris had found one. But the source I had come upon, had moved it.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Hey Mike, No I haven't. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail, this is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Someone have a suggestion where I could post these so people could just download them? To large to email out.

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
I am the shop that works on these types of gearboxes in Boulder, CO. I would be happy to help you with the parts. As I mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure that I have one of the 997TT main shafts in stock currently, but even if I don't I can source on in a week.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
ThePirateBay.org :-) Bittorrent will solve this - once a few of us have it and continue to seed the issue of size is no longer an issue...

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
I am the shop that works on these types of gearboxes in Boulder, CO. I would be happy to help you with the parts. As I mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure that I have one of the 997TT main shafts in stock currently, but even if I don't I can source on in a week.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Eric, are you the one with the turbo mainshaft on ebay? if so I emailed you last year about the GT2 mainshaft, but you did not have one at the time.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
You guys of course have talked to Brian Copans

http://www.gboxweb.com/company.html (purchased GT from Paul Gaurd)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
You guys of course have talked to Brian Copans

http://www.gboxweb.com/company.html (purchased GT from Paul Gaurd)
Hmmm. That's news to me. I had no idea that Gbox had a stake in my company. And of course you haven't talked to Brian Copans about it because he's a good customer of ours and knows very well who owns GT.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC

Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigBadBen

Did you watch the Rolex 24 Hours over the weekend? Bullet Racing was car number 22 flying the Canadian mapleleaf. Scrappy little car from an independent team that managed to finish all 24 hours with 13th in class and 20th overall.

Their mainshaft in their gearbox got bent during qualifying and Bernie stayed up into the night on Friday rebuilding the box so that they could race on Saturday. I wouldn't be putting our name on the car and sponsoring them if I didn't believe in them. This was the second pit stop of the night when they trying to make up their mind whether or not it was dry enough for slicks or to run another round on rain rubber.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you ever have to rebuild a transmission...