996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do you like your standard supple leather seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
Do you like your standard supple leather seats?

I found a few Turbos that I am considering buying. I would prefer the car to have the sport seats with shoulder bolsters, but there are some good deals on cars with the standard supple leather seats. I would like to hear some opinions on the supple leather seats. Are they more comfortable for daily driving? Do they have any lateral support?
Thanks

Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
When I was looking for my car I didn't look at cars with the regular seats

This was based purely on looks though, I haven't sat in the regular seats so cannot comment on the difference in feel

If everything else is right and you can get it at a good price why not go for it?
If you don't like the seats you could install GT3s at a later date?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I've sat in all three variations of the seats: Standard, Standard with Supple Leather option and the Sport seats. I haven't owned any of them so I can't tell you about prolonged use but here's what I've noticed from my limited time in them. The supple leather was much more comfortable than without and felt like much higher quality than the standard seats with regular leather. The sport seats hold you in pretty well, but honestly not MUCH more than the standard seats, but they sure do look nice, especially with painted seatbacks! The old sport seats 993 and before actually were better for holding you in place, but less comfortable for daily use, I think that's why Porsche changed the Sport seats a little for the 996, so they'd be better for daily drivers. The Supple leather was like a $3,000 option and certainly made the interior feel a lot more luxurious and comfortable. Honestly, if I was looking for a car, I'd prefer the sports, but I definitely wouldn't use that a criteria as to whether or not I buy the car unless you found two cars exactly the same and the only difference were the seats. Other things such as mileage etc would be much higher on my priority list as to whether or not that particular car is suitable. That being said, the sport seats are pretty nice if they're already in the car!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:21 AM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
Sat and drove in both:

I am on the thinner side so my impressions are biased:

1. I like the look of my sport seats
2. The standard seats did not provide the support of the sport seats
3. I didn't realize the impact the shoulder support would have when driving
4. Using as a DD, I really don't notice any downsides.

The best analogy I could make would be the seats between the STI and the EVO with STI= Standard and EVO=Sport Seats.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Have been happy with comfort of supple stock seats. Agree that lateral support could be better. Stock sport seat looks great but if you want serious lateral support you need dedicated track seats. Gt3 or the like. Since my car is tip, I can brace my left leg against the door and keep 2 hands on the wheel that help keep me from sliding around. If I were to replace my seats I would look for some with good lateral support but also with a recling back. Not as great as track only but comfort is still important for me as it is used 99% as a driver.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 AM
x50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to beholdx50plt is a splendid one to behold
seats

I have the supple leather seats and love them, if I were smaller, or the GT3 seats were wider at the top I would buy them, based on looks and lateral support. Plus the wife wants her heated seat.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Depends on how you are going to use the car. For a DD, the supple seats are fine. If you are going to track it, then you'll need to have something better. My car originally had supple leather seats, but when I tracked the car they offered no support. I bought some 997GT3 sport seats and use them with a CGLock on the seat belt. Between the two, I am held in the seat well. The 997GT3 sport seats with the Alcantara insert have much better support than the 996 sport seats.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
oatmealadam is infamous around these parts
From my experience using my car as a DD, the supple leather seats are quite comfortable for every day use. I found the sport seats had good support, but always felt "rounded" through the shoulders, which is not good for posture. In the end, it depends how much you plan to drive the car.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have sport seats ,love em. now that i have leg problems the boster is a slight disadvantge on entry but great advantage when driving, am 179 lbs and they fit fine

Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
Thanks for the responses guys. All been very helpful

Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docjmj
Sat and drove in both:

I am on the thinner side so my impressions are biased:

1. I like the look of my sport seats
2. The standard seats did not provide the support of the sport seats
3. I didn't realize the impact the shoulder support would have when driving
4. Using as a DD, I really don't notice any downsides.
I passed on buying several cars because they did not have sports seats. In additon to above, looks wise, sports seats are night and day diference and give the interior of the car look of a high end sports car.

Just my $0.02

Good luck, TK

Old 01-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Killer911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these partsKiller911 is infamous around these parts
you can't beat the look of Sport Seats with a Porsche Crest! i wouldn't get anything else!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ETW 360
I found a few Turbos that I am considering buying. I would prefer the car to have the sport seats with shoulder bolsters, but there are some good deals on cars with the standard supple leather seats. I would like to hear some opinions on the supple leather seats. Are they more comfortable for daily driving? Do they have any lateral support?
Thanks
i love mine, i'm happy with the support and for extended drives ive never felt uncomfortable

maybe its just me but seats but would be somewhere near the bottom of my list after price, mileage, color, condition, options, location and various other things

i'd take you for an extended drive in mine but its in storage until the snow goes away

Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Buzz did I see your car on the Foxwoods rally in October?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i was there, i was with the YR guys, had an awesome time

were you in the vet ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you like your standard supple leather seats?