996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

car dying and sputtering - problem seems fuel related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Yes with Alpha 3071's, 72lb injectors, 5 bar intake and exhaust.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Nice! I wished I had done the 3071s instead of the 28s.

I have left Tony a message to discuss my issues as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flash68
Nice! I wished I had done the 3071s instead of the 28s.

I have left Tony a message to discuss my issues as well.

I almost did the 28's but wanted a little more room to grow
Tony knows about it as well, Chris from USP is working on it now and working on a custom tune with Tony, had to do the break-in period on the CM stage 3 clutch in so I really haven't been able to have fun with it yet

Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Open up the intake and you will see some gains.... Ics as well...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
That's my next group of mods, what's after that?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I think you have a clutch so Im getting bigger turbos....

click to view

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear of your issue Dave!!
Hope it gets fixed quickly and economically!!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Sorry to hear of your issue Dave!!
Hope it gets fixed quickly and economically!!
Thanks Mike.

We put a fuel pressure gauge on the system by the fuel filter tonite and it showed a low reading before startup and after. So thinking fuel system. We cycled the fuel pump on and off and it sounded very weak and dying according to my mechanics. Pulled it out and didnt find any cuts/cracks in the hoses, but we are gonna replace the fuel pump assembly I guess. Thinking fuel pump based on this.

Trying to decide whether go stock replacement (with the updated 02 part) or get an 044 and fab it in. Hell, the 044 is like a 3rd of the price!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Thanks Mike.

We put a fuel pressure gauge on the system by the fuel filter tonite and it showed a low reading before startup and after. So thinking fuel system. We cycled the fuel pump on and off and it sounded very weak and dying according to my mechanics. Pulled it out and didnt find any cuts/cracks in the hoses, but we are gonna replace the fuel pump assembly I guess. Thinking fuel pump based on this.

Trying to decide whether go stock replacement (with the updated 02 part) or get an 044 and fab it in. Hell, the 044 is like a 3rd of the price!
If everything points to a pressure issue, its likely the pump.

At the power level your car is at I would swap it out with a new OE unit. AMS recently tested the 044 pump vs the stock pump and proved what I have suspected for a very long time.... They are very similar in flow.

Use an OE part thats designed to be their when ever possible!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
If everything points to a pressure issue, its likely the pump.

At the power level your car is at I would swap it out with a new OE unit. AMS recently tested the 044 pump vs the stock pump and proved what I have suspected for a very long time.... They are very similar in flow.

Use an OE part thats designed to be their when ever possible!
Makes sense to me. Now if I can just find a reasonably priced pump!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
sounds to me like a MAF... disconnect it and see if same issue bucking persists... They do go bad when your pushing the limit on the HP.... and it seems like you are....

Is your Aquamist all good?
Okay we replaced the fuel pump with the updated piece (no rubber) but the hesitation and occasional stalling still occurred after test drives. Booo.

And now I have the famous P0102 code, which the last time I had that about a year ago was a bad MAF.... we should have tried the MAF first instead of the fuel pump probably, but we we did lower pressure before and now it is holding whereas it did not before. So maybe both were bad or one triggered the other? Hell I dunno.... I don't usually believe in coincidence.

Looks like you might very well be right Markski on the MAF..... gonna try a new one tmrw and see what happens.

Good times. Not really.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Disconnect the electrical connection on the MAF and drive the car. If it drives better, it's the MAF. With the MAF disconnected, the car should run very well.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
I'm not right have of the time to say the least but this or does not sond like a pump issue. Simply disconnect the maf by inscrewing the harness see what happens at idle. You should get cels. If nothing happens go drive it. If it does the same thing then you probably have a bad maf.
How often do you here of stock pumps going bad vs. Bad mafs on boosted cars?
Hope you get it solved
mark

click to view

Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Disconnect the electrical connection on the MAF and drive the car. If it drives better, it's the MAF. With the MAF disconnected, the car should run very well.
We had unplugged it and reset before but I wasn't sure if he had plugged it back in before we went back out for another drive. He had not so I just did it and it seemed to be maybe slightly better but still have surging/hunting idle and some hesitation issues. No CELs, just the ABS/PSM sensor. I had cleared the P0102 code earlier.

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I'm not right have of the time to say the least but this or does not sond like a pump issue. Simply disconnect the maf by inscrewing the harness see what happens at idle. You should get cels. If nothing happens go drive it. If it does the same thing then you probably have a bad maf.
How often do you here of stock pumps going bad vs. Bad mafs on boosted cars?
Hope you get it solved
mark
Thanks Mark. You're right more often that I am! LOL. I am leary about the pump too and upset we did not test new MAF before the pump. We had talked about it but didn't do it. Once the fuel pressure thing read apparently low, that's the direction my techs took. I am not sure now since the new CEL came up.

I hear ya on the bad MAFs..... I have been fine for over a year at increasing power since removing that V-flow intake and going back to stock.

If not MAF (we will try tmrw) then what? Fuel filter is a cheap one to do. I guess we cross that bridge if/when we get there.....

Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
From my experience, if the MAF is bad the car will run terrible with it connected. If you then disconnect it, you will have a couple of lights and codes, but the car will run near perfectly. If it still does not run well with the MAF disconnected, I think you have another problem. That said, I am not an expert at this, but I have had a couple of MAF's go...and this principal worked for me.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car dying and sputtering - problem seems fuel related?