996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Excellence Shootout article is a HUGE POS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
Im going to have to pickup a copy today

Old 12-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
Re: Re: hard to beat, though

Originally posted by pdutta2000
What's the point of an article on tuned cars...if they don't tell you what was tuned? For all I know someone could have strapped a jet engine to the back of the car. And who has time to call every tuner to ask what they did to a particular car? That's the whole point of the article...to give the reader a glimpse of how different modding techniques affect the same baseline car...thus allowing the reader to make a decision of which style of mod they want to persue. By not including the mod list, all Excellence managed to do was let me know that car A went faster than car B. Wow...thanks for the in-depth reporting!!
I haven't seen the artice but I have to agree with you.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
I think all things considered, it is a good article. I would imagine it is pretty tough to provide content that fully satisfies all 600,000 or so subscribers. I think most of the participants would agree that it was a well organized event, and professionally covered by Excellence. Stephen, your graphics are the best! Darren, please excuse my ignorance, but I am confused by your negativity toward the event. I spoke with the organizers and they were very clear that 6speed made no attempt to pay for any sponsership whatsoever. I would love to have entered my car for free but it cost me $3,600.00. Why the sour grapes?

Old 12-18-2004, 05:29 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to allMrBlonde is a name known to all
Re: hard to beat, though

Originally posted by jayster
It was/is a great article. There were a number of suggestions as to what to include in the article, and I'm sure Pete Stout took them all into consideration. Judging by what was included in the article, it must have been tough to decide what must be left out.
However, all involved did a hell of a job, and Pete may have left himself enough material, for a part 2.
To address the "****" like comment made in reference to the secrecy behind the event, I think it innapropriate to have made this comment
I feel the reason behind keeping quiet was just, and done to protect the investment of those who made them. It is well within their rights, and outweigh the perceived rights of your on demand world.
If you really want to know what was done to the cars, call and ask the tuners, I for one would love to tell you what I did to our car, FVD #16.
Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Jayster
Just wondering Jayster, are you associated with _Excellence_ in any way?

Old 12-18-2004, 06:30 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up yes

I advertise in the mag. I also prepared the FVD-USA #16 for ***** Brombacher.
So what is your point? I would have liked the article to have contained more, but I didnt write it. Also I will not criticize Pete or anyone else involved, I think they did an excellent job. FYI 6speeds logo is prominent on the high roller webpage. BTW how many of you that are really interested in the mods, have bothered to call anyone of the tuners to find out what the mods were?
Jayster

Old 12-18-2004, 06:58 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Re: yes

Originally posted by jayster
BTW how many of you that are really interested in the mods, have bothered to call anyone of the tuners to find out what the mods were?
Jayster
Why should we call the tuners? The f-ing magazine collected all that information from the participants! Would it be so hard to print a table with what was modified? The fact that you don't understand this is disturbing. You as a tuner should want that information in the article...so you can explain why you tuned the car one way versus another. The point of the article wasn't just to find the fastest, most powerful car...it was also to evaluate HOW AND WHY different tuners make changes to the same baseline 996 turbo. If I was a tuner...I'd be freaking pissed.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Jay just b/c the 6speed logo is on the highroller page doesn't explain why Excellence refuses to give credit where credit is due. Without the awesome members here who participated, and that all came together from 6speed, they would not even have anything to write about in terms of a shootout!

Highrollers at least had the class to call us and say we want to put up your logo since the particpants came from your forum...

Jay who do you work for that you need to kiss up to Pete Stout anyway ?

Old 12-18-2004, 07:48 AM
SilverPorsche is infamous around these parts
Amen Darren!

The only really interesting article I ever read in Excellence is the one our own ADMIN Mike Wilens wote about Camp 4 in Findland...that article had me from first to last word dying to go to this Porsche School and rumor has it that Pete Stout is not even an experienced Race Driver so I am not surpirsed he left out all of the mods for us to learn about. He probably doesn't even know what they all mean anyway.

Thank goodness for 6speedonline and it's members for all the info and knowledge I have gained!

Old 12-18-2004, 08:01 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Although I am not financially connected with Excellence or Tim and Irene (promoters), I do have my opinions.

The idea and assembly of participants definitely came from the 6speed family IMHO.

This was actually Excellence's second attempt at this Shootout idea. They were the ones who pulled the plug on the first one about one year ago which sharky picked up and continued with another magazine. This is not to insinuate Excellence did not have a good reason for pulling, i.e. insurance, advertisers or whatever the reason was. I never received an explanation from them. I do not blame them.

Second, regarding Excellence, I believe if you view their past issues, they don't really get involved in details as to what was modified. Why I am not sure.

In review of this second event, it was definitly an improvement. Not everything we would like to see but better. I think most of us agree with this.

Lastly, if you don't like things that were done, write a letter to Excellence about the article in addition to contacting Tim through his website. I know Excellence prints letters pro and con about recent past articles in their following issue.

Regarding 6speed, hopefully if enough people write, all the parties involved will make amends next time around as I am sure there will be a next time.

Last edited by cjv; 12-18-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:28 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by mowblowgo
I think all things considered, it is a good article. I would imagine it is pretty tough to provide content that fully satisfies all 600,000 or so subscribers. I think most of the participants would agree that it was a well organized event, and professionally covered by Excellence. Stephen, your graphics are the best! Darren, please excuse my ignorance, but I am confused by your negativity toward the event. I spoke with the organizers and they were very clear that 6speed made no attempt to pay for any sponsership whatsoever. I would love to have entered my car for free but it cost me $3,600.00. Why the sour grapes?

I am not negative with the event at all....i think it was fantastic and was working with highrollers to help in any way....the sour grapes was with excellence for not doing what I felt a good job writing the article in depth for everyone to understand what went in to all the cars and no credit to the members of 6speed..thats all

Old 12-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Darren and silver

I work for myself, Jay Putnam Engineering, Pompano Beach, Fl.
I also work for ***** Brombacher/FVD-USA. I hardly know Pete, and I dont suck up.
I agree with cjv's response in this thread, also.
I am not sure what the point is you are trying to make Darren, as it seems to change with each post. My point is, I like the article. I personally would have had more to gain by more exstensive coverage of the event. But I am not whining about what they missed, but happy with what they got.
Read, and enjoy, or don't.
Peace,prosperity and the happiest of holidays.
Jayster
p.s. thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 AM
DJ
Jay - my point has not changed once ? The only point was lack of credit to 6speed ? Anyway who cares at this point anyway I guess - Happy Holidays to you as well and we are having a little get together in South Florida Dec 26 if you check the event section so please come by and say hi.

Last edited by DJ; 12-18-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:18 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
I'm surprised Excellence even did a cover story on these cars . They seem more mainstream and geared toward an older " Seinfeld" Porsche crowd. This cover story belonged more in one of the " tuner " mags - you know, the ones with the Asian Vegas " hostesses " on the cover .

Old 12-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Talking thanks

Darren, thank you for the invitation. I will be in New England until after the first of the year. I would really like to take part in one of the SoFla get togethers then, I will watch the events forum for details.
Again, have a safe and happy, to all.

"joy to the world...."

Old 12-18-2004, 12:17 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
European Car did provide a table with the modifications of each car when they did their shootout article. I have found Excellance typically doesn't even give 0 to 60 mph or 1/4 times in any of their articles.

Just my humble opinion

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Excellence Shootout article is a HUGE POS