996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best deal on an ECU?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I'm gonna go ahead and guess every tuner puts a price on their flash based on the time they have in the R&D for that tune. Back when flashes were $3k-$4k, there was no demand for them, so tuners could charge anything they wanted, as not many were doing it. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and 996tt's are half of what they cost back then and the demand for tunes has gone up. Everyone has to be competitive now. Just because a tuner has a very competitive price on a flash, doesn't mean it isn't a good tune. Truth be told, I'm sure any tuner can lower their price on any of their flashes, any time they want, and still make money.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rental Metard
I see that at one point FVD offered a flash and filter for $1200. Best I've found is Vivid Racing flash at $1550. Are there any better prices out there? Ability to go back to stock is a must. I was spoiled with my last 2 cars getting a second-hand tuned ECU for around $500. I don't seem to find any tuned ECU's for sale for the 996 turbo.
Go with Markski to Protomotive,i did mine with him and is impresive work and Markski back you up all the way.It's worth it.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJM
Thanks, I will check your website out.
please dont base your tuning decision on whose website looks the nicest

if you research this forum you will find that there are probably 4 or 5 tuners who are used very often, are very well trusted and can do amazing things for your car, expect to pay 1200+ for a good flash, price should not be driving factor in your decision (within reason)

personally i went with epl and will be going with them again for my next upgrade

(its not a simple as buying a tuned ecu and selling your old one, it can be done but hardly ever happens)

Last edited by buzzm; 01-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning

case in point- you get a $700 flash from XXX ... you run your car hard and the CEL comes on... what do you do? 1. Go to dealer and get wacked lets say $1500 for nothing... 2. call the company who sold you the cheap flash and get No support.... 3. Eventually throw out the cheap stuff and end up with a reputable tuner...
End result: your probably back at $4500 by the time your done... Ironically it could have been avoided the first time...
I see many cross over Audi, BMW, EVo guys mind boggled by the prices we pay... yet we the P car guys get freaked out when a flash for a Italian superar is like $5K... not all things are equal...
Bingo.

With a flash you are not buying at item, you are buying a relationship.

Sure, you may buy the flash and never have an issue.... but we read time and again of people with "some flash" and issues that take a lot to resolve- perhaps not even flash related.. shops saying "it must be the flash", the flash vendor who is only a salesman saying "shop is wrong"....owner just shelling out $$$

I don't think P prices are that crazy, really, for what you get....

A

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
I went with GIAC based on their experience and have been very satisfied with the drivability

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
Believe me, I'm not looking for some Ebay-special tune and I wouldn't put anything questionable in my car. I'm just trying to be as smart with my money as possible in this economy. I've gotten some good leads so far, thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I'm gonna go ahead and guess every tuner puts a price on their flash based on the time they have in the R&D for that tune. Back when flashes were $3k-$4k, there was no demand for them, so tuners could charge anything they wanted, as not many were doing it. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and 996tt's are half of what they cost back then and the demand for tunes has gone up. Everyone has to be competitive now. Just because a tuner has a very competitive price on a flash, doesn't mean it isn't a good tune. Truth be told, I'm sure any tuner can lower their price on any of their flashes, any time they want, and still make money.
I think there was more demand back then.. I was one of those paying that kind of money.... Mind you most of these tuners made money back then NOT now... Now we have what is a left over market from the crossover M3, audi, Evo customer where getting a 996tt is $30k... thus a flash for 1/2 of what it used to be is expected...
there are good tunes for a fair price... but there are also differences between some as well... some cheap ones one should never touch.... likewise some highly priced ones do not offer anything more then the good cheaper ones...
But within all that also comes support... custom tuning via datalog/email... etc etc... sometimes its beneficial in the long run to pay upfront a few hundred more and get what you never will with just "buying a flash".
Some tuners sell sell sell.... but when one needs help with a code etc there is no help.... others offer support at a premium... usually come thru when there is a problem.... yet sometimes also are too busy to take care of the customer...
there is no right price for the program... just hope you get the level of service and product in the end that you were expecting....
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-21-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I think there was more demand back then.. I was one of those paying that kind of money.... Mind you most of these tuners made money back then NOT now... Now we have what is a left over market from the crossover M3, audi, Evo customer where getting a 996tt is $30k... thus a flash for 1/2 of what it used to be is expected...
there are good tunes for a fair price... but there are also differences between some as well... some cheap ones one should never touch.... likewise some highly priced ones do not offer anything more then the good cheaper ones...
But within all that also comes support... custom tuning via datalog/email... etc etc... sometimes its beneficial in the long run to pay upfront a few hundred more and get what you never will with just "buying a flash".
Some tuners sell sell sell.... but when one needs help with a code etc there is no help.... others offer support at a premium... usually come thru when there is a problem.... yet sometimes also are too busy to take care of the customer...
there is no right price for the program... just hope you get the level of service and product in the end that you were expecting....
mark
+1. I think the "staples" in this market, provide a good product and a good service, with few exceptions. It's nice to have choices now and we are somewhat lucky to be in the market we are in. If you veer off the beaten path, you will likely get what you pay for.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The best advice is don't skimp.

I paid $2,600 for a Revo flash and flash loader with the ability to data log and alter several variables that control boost, timing and fuel quality. I like that control. Dan, Marski and Tony are all reputable and stand by there products.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I'll veer this a little bit - who offers flashes for blow thru MAF? Everyone? Just some? Still wishing I could tune this myself....

Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I'll veer this a little bit - who offers flashes for blow thru MAF? Everyone? Just some? Still wishing I could tune this myself....
just a few that do it... not to say others can't ....
As far as tuning yourself... If it was only that easy then no one would be paying huge$$$ for the flashes...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Are you looking for just a flash or maybe an exhaust as well, already have one?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
please dont base your tuning decision on whose website looks the nicest
I agree 100%. However in DJM's case he's located in Florida, as are we. As someone mentioned earlier, after-purchase support is essential, and something we pride ourselves on. The EVOMSit software we sell is proven time and time again, and we do everythig humanly possible to support our customers and make sure their entire experience with the product is the best one possible.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
+1 proto/markski has it going on!!
tim
Originally Posted by rdss
Go with Markski to Protomotive,i did mine with him and is impresive work and Markski back you up all the way.It's worth it.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
+1 on markski .

BLK , as far as blow through i think there are very few who do that , protomotive is one that i know for a fact.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best deal on an ECU?