996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question about mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Question about mods

Hi Everyone,
Not any replies on tuning forum so I thought I'd try this one too.
So when I bought the TT I thought this is as fast as I am ever going to need to go. After a friend tuned the car for me with an ECU upgrade (He is a very known person in the industry) and I noticed the difference in turbo lag, throttle response and overall performance, let's just say I am hooked like an addict.
I am looking at other upgrades and wanted to get the expert opinion from the more experienced.
First of all my needs:
I am not a speed demon on the road and am mainly a DD with occassional track time. I do not want to change turbos and I live in California (in case smog regulation need to be factored in your decision making)
I have friends in the field and all have mentioned various upgrades, some cheaper than others. I want a "realistic" HP car that isn't going to give me problems as far as maintenance and voided warranty (as much as possible) Or maybe a referal to a mod friendly dealer.
Also a proper sequence to maximize efficiency and productivity of each mod.
I have read other threads but I thought I would list and see the +/- of each listed mod.
Maybe it can serve as a nice reference for others as well.

1) High-Flow Intake
2) 5-Bar Fuel pressure regulator
3) Billet Diverter Valve upgrade
4) Silicone hose kit replacement
5) Intercooler upgrades
6) Carbon Fiber Intake duct
7) Upgraded Throttle body
8) Headers
9) Exhaust
*** Which one drones the least?
*** Which one sounds the best?
*** Will it pass emissions with the headers?
10) Stage-3 Clutch
*** Or Stage-2? What stage clutch do I need? Is the stock sufficient?
11) Suspension
12) Hitachi MAF Upgrade
13) HID lights (This is not really a performance upgrade I know.)
Should I get Xenon headlights or retrofit kit?

I have availability for custom tuning and dyno time.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is like a drug and I'm hooked. I hope there are support groupd with similar people with the same illness
Thanks everyone for any input. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I would start by adding an exhaust with a revised custom tune, upgraded wastegates and a coil over suspension. IMO, these mods would be your biggest bang for the buck and may be all you need for your goals - the other mods you mention are less likely to make a meaningful difference. Also, be aware that you may require a clutch soon. Our X-cellerator 2.5 cross-flow exhaust is the least droning exhaust I have heard and is also fantastic sounding. We have sound/videos and complete specifications with pictures on our web site.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 01-24-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
I'd do
#3 Billet Diverter Valves
#4 Silicone hose kit replacement, not absolutely necessary
#5 Intercoolers would be beneficial but not absolutely necessary
#9 Exhaust - the sound is intoxicating
#10 Clutch Stage 2?
#11 KW's coilovers
Sway bars and links
Brake pads, fluid
Possible wastegate upgrades and a retune as John mentioned.

I'm into track events, so the handling on these cars are key for me. The power rush is addictive, but when's enough. I think you'll have a great car with these mods and your K24's.

Last edited by Page; 01-24-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krpt176

1) High-Flow Intake Waste of money for now
2) 5-Bar Fuel pressure regulator - Not needed until you upsize turbos dramatically
3) Billet Diverter Valve upgrade - zero performance gain, but a good prophylactic choice
4) Silicone hose kit replacement - zero need, zero improvement
5) Intercooler upgrades - spend money on turbo upgrade firsts
6) Carbon Fiber Intake duct - Huh? Why? Waste of money
7) Upgraded Throttle body - after new turbos
8) Headers - no value
9) Exhaust - YES, europipe
*** Which one drones the least?
*** Which one sounds the best?
*** Will it pass emissions with the headers?
10) Stage-3 Clutch Whatever...depends on how you drive. Stock turbos and only flash the stock will do unless you are abusive
*** Or Stage-2? What stage clutch do I need? Is the stock sufficient?
11) Suspension -YES
12) Hitachi MAF Upgrade - Nope
Should I get Xenon headlights or retrofit kit?
ANY of the mods above, except suspension, clutch and lights, are NOT CARB APPROVED. None will "pass" an actual honest CA smog inspection.

Now, the trick is to have limited mods and choose a shop that doesn't know.

What does your 'known' tuner recommend?

IMO, you should flash it and add an exhaust. Then do the suspension. Change diverters if you feel like it, the stockers will likely fail soon enough.

But then you've reached the plateau for the motor- until you increase the turbos none of the other mods are really of value. (Some add nothing at all, some- like more efficient intercoolers- marginally add but really are out of scale for your baseline mods.)

Then consider changing turbos. You can get hybrids that retain low RPM boost but don't run out of steam at higher rpm like the K16s do. No need for intakes, throttle bodies, fprs, hitachi Mafs, until you get past the 'mid range' turbos.

My 2 cents.

A

Last edited by ard; 01-24-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Everyone,
Not any replies on tuning forum so I thought I'd try this one too.
So when I bought the TT I thought this is as fast as I am ever going to need to go. After a friend tuned the car for me with an ECU upgrade (He is a very known person in the industry) and I noticed the difference in turbo lag, throttle response and overall performance, let's just say I am hooked like an addict.
I am looking at other upgrades and wanted to get the expert opinion from the more experienced.
First of all my needs:
I am not a speed demon on the road and am mainly a DD with occassional track time. I do not want to change turbos and I live in California (in case smog regulation need to be factored in your decision making)
I have friends in the field and all have mentioned various upgrades, some cheaper than others. I want a "realistic" HP car that isn't going to give me problems as far as maintenance and voided warranty (as much as possible) Or maybe a referal to a mod friendly dealer.
Also a proper sequence to maximize efficiency and productivity of each mod.
I have read other threads but I thought I would list and see the +/- of each listed mod.
Maybe it can serve as a nice reference for others as well.

1) High-Flow Intake Not needed unless your're going over 550hp (upgraded turbos)
2) 5-Bar Fuel pressure regulator Not needed unless you're going over 550hp (upgraded turbos)
3) Billet Diverter Valve upgrade. Good insurance cuz the factory plastic ones fail all the time
4) Silicone hose kit replacement. Not needed unless your going with oversized turbos but good insurance when you need to replace the stock ones.
5) Intercooler upgrades Not needed unless your going with oversized turbos. If you can't put more air through them they won't do you any good.
6) Carbon Fiber Intake duct. The dual intake looks nice. You might run a bit cooler intake charge but not much HP gain.
7) Upgraded Throttle body Not needed unless your looking for more than 550hp
8) Headers No indication that these increase HP.
9) Exhaust With an ECU flash you need this. Surprised your tuner didn't insist on this prior to the flash.
*** Which one drones the least? Less restrictive = more drone
*** Which one sounds the best? Cross overs seem to have the edge
*** Will it pass emissions with the headers? Headers will have no effect on emissions, but cats will. Stick with 200 cell cats to be safe in Cali.
10) Stage-3 Clutch
*** Or Stage-2? What stage clutch do I need? Is the stock sufficient? Again what is your HP target. You give up street drivability with clutch improvements and you'll need to retune the ECU for the lighter flywheel.
11) Suspension Wait on all the power increases and start here. In stock form the car has more than enough HP to overpower the suspension. PSS 10's at a minimum with rear dog bones, toe steer, sway bar and drop links. Beyond that, sky is the limit, motons, camber plates, solid thrust bushings, bump steer kits etc. Stick with 18" wheels also (lighter and better tire selection). 19" on a 996TT are just for the bling factor.
12) Hitachi MAF Upgrade A good upgrade cus the stock ones fail all the time.
Should I get Xenon headlights or retrofit kit? Actually it is a performance upgrade because you don't want to "out drive" your lights at night especially on a two lane back road with no street lighting, no guard rails and big *** trees on both sides. Get the stock retro fit kit if yours didn't come with Xenon.

I have availability for custom tuning and dyno time.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is like a drug and I'm hooked. I hope there are support groupd with similar people with the same illness
Thanks everyone for any input. It is greatly appreciated.

Think of the entire HP quest as a system that needs to be done with consideration for each component. The same goes for the suspension. Plan each increment of improvement to work with existing and future modifications. You should also get better motor mounts: Wevo's for the engine and the 997TT mount for the tranny. Even in a totally stock car, the motor/tranny mounts have too much play in the. The entire drive train moves around out of sync with the car.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 01-25-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Number is guesstimate.(guess+estimate) But process should be close to what most guys do it here. (my tuner recc me the same.) If you want to jump in the mid level (like I did.), talk to you tuner, he will just send you file accordingly.(save your money as he does not have to charge you for update.)

Sporty/ stock turbo k16 40-50hp+
-Exhaust: ton of choices. Search and read.
-Billet Diverter Valve upgrade: stock likely to leak or fail at higher boost.
-Tune by good tuner. (you need this and later when you add more mods, you need update file/tune.)

100-120hp+
-Upgrade turbo: K16G, K24/K18g
-5 Bar Fuel pressure regulator

120-300hp+ (later half list are for higher hp app.)
-bigger turbo k24/k18g, A28,A30 or more
-injectors
-Intercooler upgrades
-High-Flow Intake
-Upgraded Throttle body
-Headers
-Hitachi MAF Upgrade (if your tuner recc.)

Suspension: any time when you like. Make the car look good and fun to drive.
-pss9,pss10

Clutch: upgrade needed after you add 120hp+

Last edited by aroonkl; 01-25-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
great advice here from all the guys. all the issues you're asking about have been hashed and re-hashed here over the years and the advice above synthesizes some of it. there's a well beaten path that you'll see when you read back. what i would add is that:

1. find an installer/tuner that you trust and is well known for their work and support
2. ask yourself what your goals are and do most if not all your mods at one time. (it'll cost you less at the end).

from what it sounds like you'll be happy for now with an exhaust/retune and pss10's but if i were you (and you're already talking about being addicted to power) i would get a set of billeted turbos and call it a day.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for taking the time to write a very detailed and helpful reply.
Based on the responses it seems that my focus should be on: Exhaust, Diverter Valves, Mounts, Suspension, Wastegate upgrades
And of course a re-tune.
So now that I have a focus on where to go from here, any recommendations on where to start as far as shops who can provide the services?
Any recommendations on the specific products as well? I assume that any shop in Cali would know how to pass the C.A.R.B. test with the 200 cell catalytic converter as mentioned by duanett.
Any thoughts on the better product manufacturer for the following items?
1) Exhaust
2) Diverter Valves
3) Mounts
4) Suspension
5) Wastegate upgrades
6) HID lights

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
I just did a UMW tune on an X50, put on a set of Europipes Gen2 Quiet, UMW's Wastegate acuator kit, and new diverter valves for an amazing leap in performance.

I'll write up a more detailed report in a separate thread here shortly, but the end result is fantastic. I have not only more power, but I have it faster than I could have hoped - it's like Kevin @ UMW just took away the K24 lag and made it disappear, while Stef made it sing like the car should have come from the factory. Actually, the EP and UMW tune work together to rid the K24s of that horrid lag.

Huge Kudos to Kevin @ UMW and Stef at Europipe. Well done guys - my car is reborn. I can't wait to fix the suspension so I can use all the juice in the corners this season.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Do a k24/18g upgrade with a 5 bar FPR, Dvs, filter and a nice exhaust...
Good tune for 91 octane and call it a day.... anything after that its BIG bucks...
Need any help Pm me... we have been doing 18g upgrades with tuning for a long time.
here is my X design exhaust we make per order...
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for taking the time to write a very detailed and helpful reply.
Based on the responses it seems that my focus should be on: Exhaust, Diverter Valves, Mounts, Suspension, Wastegate upgrades
And of course a re-tune.
So now that I have a focus on where to go from here, any recommendations on where to start as far as shops who can provide the services?
Any recommendations on the specific products as well? I assume that any shop in Cali would know how to pass the C.A.R.B. test with the 200 cell catalytic converter as mentioned by duanett.
Any thoughts on the better product manufacturer for the following items?
1) Exhaust
2) Diverter Valves
3) Mounts
4) Suspension
5) Wastegate upgrades
6) HID lights

Thanks again everyone.

They only mystery questions you're asking are exhaust (mostly a personal preference) and suspension (a black art inherited from warlock to warlock). GMG (board sponsor) in Orange County is one of the suspension guru's in Socal. They do lots of 996/997TT and seem to know what works and what doesn't. There are also great shops in LA and a few in San Diego. The SF Bay Area also has two very good ones, Sharkwerks (board sponsor) and S-Car-Go (they'd be a board sponsor but Rob King the owner believes the internet is a myth).