996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Opinions on paint and scratch repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Have used Dr. Colorchip too. You need to find the right amount of curing time (instructions say 2 minutes but you need to wait longer) depending on ambient temperature to get the best results, else the filler wipes away too easily when using the blending solution. It will fill in small scratches (not perfect though) if you keep adding filler after each application and blending step to build it up close to the original paint surface.

This is good to know, If I decide to do the up keep myself, then Dr.Colorchip is what I will try.

Originally Posted by CarreraMark
You have zero control over rock chips but almost 100% control over door dings (which are the most noticeable). I have 55K on my 02. Complete daily driver and lots of airport time. I dont obsess about it but i always try to park defensively. End result ... Zero door dings and only some very minor rock chips on the bumper.

Sure, I know this and agree w/ you. That is why I park way out in BFE every place I go. It doesn't matter if it is raining, snowing, or 100 degrees, I don't park near any1.

You do have a certain amount of control over rock chips.
Don't tailgate and don't stay behind trucks w/ big tires.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 PM
benaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to all
Okay, so a few months back, when I was washing my car and had the rear wiper up, I accidentally hit it, it came down wrong and left a HUGE scratch in my paint. [I have since done the wiper delete and recommend EVERYBODY do it].

I decided after reading stuff that I would try to touch up the scratch myself. After all, it's just a scratch and it couldn't look worse, right?

Last night I finished the last of trying to fix it (because it's beyond repair). The paint pen sucked a$$ and turned out to be similar in color, but not exact. Between the rubbing compound of trying to get it to look right and the 1000 grit sandpaper, I got through the paint. It's sure smooth and shiny, but the friggen scratch stands out more than it did before (because it's filled with not an exact match, and there are spots of primer on either side of it.

So, if you're not willing to accept the risk of putting in the effort and then taking to the shop anyway, then don't do it. I now MUST take it in. I don't even want to drive my car and have to explain that to people that see it (and they WILL see it).

I wish I had just left the scratch. It wasn't THAT noticeable!

*got the paint pen from www.paintscratch.com

Good luck!

Ben

Last edited by benaslan; 01-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
That does suck! I will wait till after winter is over and take a detailed look at the chips and then determan the best solution. I am leaning towards getting the paint touched up then having the 3M clear bra put on. I'll know more in a few months when winter os over. Looks like sleet, ice, and snow over the next few days.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
I thought them devils many a times and I'm yet to win

The nicks and chips on the bumper can indeed be fixed more or less well using the chip repair kits. But the hairline scratches that cut into the paint are basically unfixable! I've tried to fix them, I've seen the results of the shops trying to fix them and you simply can't! Best is even not to try because you are going to change it from bad to worse.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
One of my close friends own a crapload of DR. VINYL franchises in NC...these are the guys who do the dealershiop cars, etc.

He is going to do mine and use it for advertising. I'll put some pics up and fill you guys in on the proceess, pricing and my opinion of the end resut....and my car is BAD..

Tom