996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cold weather and waste gates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
Not sure this is right....

Without the input from the N75 valve, the car will run at maximum boost (this means the boost derived by the turbo speeds, etc...not the 'numeric max'). The computer can ONLY REDUCE the boost- it cannot increase boost over the value obtained by the mechanical spring.

Right?
you can increase over the mechanical spring..if you vent the boost going to the wastegates with the n75 valve.

the start boost depends from the springs in the wastegates and the adjusting from the rod. The boost opens the wastegates at the adjusted point....the ecu with his n95 valve vent the boost, so the wastegates open later.If you disconnect the valve from voltage, it is open to the wastegates (to open it at the start boost) and closed to the vent...(so in winter you must drive with disconnect...)

and i must agree marksi..if you try to adjust a stiff spring to lower boost as its possible...the wastegates bleeds open..

maybe the n75 valve is to little for regulating the two turbos without lag in regulation circle with stiff springs(and lag in this circle produce a overboost)..a ebc is quicker with his greater valve

Last edited by winnigt2; 08-05-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
What makes no sense? I will try to clarify for you...

please tell me how if you have 1 bar actuators that you can run below 1 bar without a boost leak? It is physically impossible as the wastegate will not open until it reaches 1bar(no matter what the ecu tells any valve or solenoid). Unless you want to run CO2 to the actuator, it isn't going to happen.

I say it again. The ECU cannot run lower than the mechanical limit of the actuator and if you go with stiffer actuators, you need to retune the ecu. Duty Cycle needs to be tweaked for different setups.

I think you are gravely mistaken about how the entire system works.

Justin

Originally Posted by wross996TT
Uh...that makes no sense...the wastegate is a safety release for too much boost....the ecu can certainly control below that release (i.e., not reach the critical boost pressure)...the ecu cannot go past the limits of the wastegate ...that is it can ask for boost, but if it reaches the wastegate threshold...open sesame. Of course if your springs are too strong for the rest of the hardware...it could be problems.

Kevin and Markski gave the info you need.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
What makes no sense? I will try to clarify for you...

please tell me how if you have 1 bar actuators that you can run below 1 bar without a boost leak? It is physically impossible as the wastegate will not open until it reaches 1bar(no matter what the ecu tells any valve or solenoid). Unless you want to run CO2 to the actuator, it isn't going to happen.

I say it again. The ECU cannot run lower than the mechanical limit of the actuator and if you go with stiffer actuators, you need to retune the ecu. Duty Cycle needs to be tweaked for different setups.

I think you are gravely mistaken about how the entire system works.

Justin
Hmmm...so an unflashed car hits .7 which is lower than the mechanical limit of the wastegate....please explain?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The stock wastegates are setup for .7bar... When you add a 1bar actuator to a car that is not flashed the boost will be raised because there is no way to lower it below that point.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Because 10lbs will not overcome and open a 15lb spring.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
Because 10lbs will not overcome and open a 15lb spring.
unless....your backpressure is sky high

that is the ONLY way a wastegate will open before the rated spring pressure (which are rated at 1:1)

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
The stock wastegates are setup for .7bar... When you add a 1bar actuator to a car that is not flashed the boost will be raised because there is no way to lower it below that point.
Wait...you mean if I add a 1 bar wastegate to an unflashed car I will get 1.0 boost....really?

what about timing and fuel?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Wait...you mean if I add a 1 bar wastegate to an unflashed car I will get 1.0 boost....really?

yes, any solenoid, controller etc etc will only delay the signal, increasing the boost

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
learn something new every day...LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold

YESSSSS... I think you got it now.

If you add a 1 bar actuator to a stock car, it will run 1 bar as that has become the new mechanical minimum.

BTW, you still need to adjust timing and fuel to take advantage of the newfound boost.

Justin

Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
The bleed valve allows the boost to be raised over the spring pressure because it prevents the spring from seeing the pressure it cracks at. As you approach the pressure you WANT you allow the W/G valve/spring to see more pressure - and it opens. So, if you have a 1bar spring you cannot go lower but you can go higher, sometimes way higher!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
you can increase over the mechanical spring..if you vent the boost going to the wastegates with the n95 valve.

the start boost depends from the springs in the wastegates and the adjusting from the rod. The boost opens the wastegates at the adjusted point....the ecu with his n95 valve vent the boost, so the wastegates open later.If you disconnect the valve from voltage, it is open to the wastegates (to open it at the start boost) and closed to the vent...(so in winter you must drive with disconnect...)

and i must agree marksi..if you try to adjust a stiff spring to lower boost as its possible...the wastegates bleeds open..

maybe the n95 valve is to little for regulating the two turbos without lag in regulation circle with stiff springs(and lag in this circle produce a overboost)..a ebc is quicker with his greater valve

The boost is set by the spring and the preload.

You said "this is the lowest boost the ECU can regulate"... not true. It is the highest boost- all the ecu can do is pulse the N95 to send a 'release boost signal'

Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard

You said "this is the lowest boost the ECU can regulate"... not true. It is the highest boost- all the ecu can do is pulse the N95 to send a 'release boost signal'

my english is not the best....but for my knowledge the boost system works following

the spring and his adjustment controls the lowest boost , (backpressure reduce the start boost that is adjusted with spring and rod at high loads) ....the ecu is only able to increase boost from start boost...so the lowest boost that the ecu can regulate is ? adjusted boost minus backpressure, the highest boost depends on what turbos you are use and what springrate and backpressure this turbos have....and the ecu must be programmed to this boost if the mechanical system is able to achieve this boost

Last edited by winnigt2; 01-30-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
that is the full pressure signal. full pressure = minimum boost in an actuated setup.

The machanical minimum(all valves removed) is the wastegate actuator spring pressure. In an ACTUATED setup, you can then create a controlled boost leak to the actuator to RAISE the boost. Rather than explain all of this, I would just say to research how it works first.

The ECU "releases boost" to the atmosphere to raise pressure. If the power to the solenoid is removed, you default to spring pressure.

Justin

Originally Posted by ard

Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
that is the full pressure signal. full pressure = minimum boost in an actuated setup.

The machanical minimum(all valves removed) is the wastegate actuator spring pressure. In an ACTUATED setup, you can then create a controlled boost leak to the actuator to RAISE the boost. Rather than explain all of this, I would just say to research how it works first.

The ECU "releases boost" to the atmosphere to raise pressure. If the power to the solenoid is removed, you default to spring pressure.

Justin
Wrong.

The only thing the wastegate can do is OPEN SOONER. The pressure from the N95 valve is acts against the internal spring. Add pressure and the spring 'sees' the boost+ acutator pressure. Without any actuator pressure it opens at whatever the mechanical spring is set to. Add actuator oressure and it will open at "spring presure minus actuator pressure":

Boost = Spring pressure - Actuator signal pressure.

From a purely mechanical viewpoint... in a static situation.

(People may ask "how do I see 1.3 when my wastegate is set to 13.5lbs?" ... Volume. As you increase the air volume the 'cracking pressure' and the 'sustained boost' will be different. )

I cannot understand how you guys are saying boost that is ejcted past the wastegate out the exhaust is somehow used to then increase boost.....

If tony or kevin want to jump in and correct me, I'm all ears.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold weather and waste gates