996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo S respect or lack thereof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Chris997 is infamous around these parts
You have a great car! Enjoy it and who cares what other people think.... I buy cars to put a smile on my face not everyone else....

Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Yes, it does that well

Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
With the right tune and exhaust, those K24s are magic - see my recent post on my stage one upgrade with UMW and EP.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris997
You have a great car! Enjoy it and who cares what other people think.... I buy cars to put a smile on my face not everyone else....

Well stated, it does excel in that dept!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I won't say that the S cars didn't come with a slightly different factory tune, but they did't come with bigger K24s or anything like that. To that end, it's special, but it's an X50 with 2nd gen PCCBs.

...until you swap them out for some ball bearing turbos, make 75 more HP and wonder how you lived with all that lag

my original X50 parts, while modded and loved for 4 years are now in the garage. That holds true for the turbos, ICs and non-existent tranny upgrades.

Still, with Sport Seats and X50 it's nice to have that 140K sticker...

Originally Posted by Supercollider
With the right tune and exhaust, those K24s are magic - see my recent post on my stage one upgrade with UMW and EP.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris997
Well said. Yet I find that driving my car around town seems to put a lot of smiles on a lot of other people's face as well. Seriously, I can not tell you how many times a day or week I get waved at, thumbs up, and such from people just driving my car. It isn't the same enjoyment as driving it, but the Porsche 911 ( esp the Turbo ) makes people happy!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
All good points, no real reason other than curiosity for the post.

Thanks all for the opinions and insight

My DVs and cable got in today so time to place a call to Todd at Proto!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mtcraigco
All good points, no real reason other than curiosity for the post.

Thanks all for the opinions and insight

My DVs and cable got in today so time to place a call to Todd at Proto!
Whole different car coming your way.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtcraigco
Just a question, and in no way peevish.

It seems that the 996 Turbo S cars get dissed on a lot for NOT being rare and NOT being "any big deal"

I am curios if this is a bonafide response to overmarketing, or to folks who have them thinking they ARE 'hot stuff" and bragging incessantly to the annoyance of other folks, or if it's envy on the part of folks who don't have Turbo S's

Seriously just a question here and would like to hear some opinions

I will freely admit I had no idea that Turbo S's were/may be a limited run car when I bought mine.

I bought mine because it was

A) LOW miles
B) NOT black, NOT silver, NOT gray
C) The interior was NOT red or tan
D) It's a cab

Then I found out that it "might" be a bit more special after I had had it awhile.

I have also seen production numbers in the low hundreds for these, which to me seems rather low production, but then I hear 'Yeah they sold more Turbo S's in 05 then not S Turbo's so they ain't nuthin"

Original sticker on mine (still have it from previous owner) was $145K plus change

So which is it? Special or not so special?

Just curios as much as they seem to be a bit controversial, I love mine and have no intentions of parting with it. I AM glad I know now what I do know now about them seeing as I'm getting a Proto flash and a couple other small tweaks and will get more bang for my buck, but would have on the X50 package to.

So, have it. What's the real deal on the 996 Turbo S cars?

The S was the last year 996TT with a group of previously offered options as standard package (PCCB, Aerokit, and x-50). The last of each breed always seems to get a premium. Look at the 993 Turbo S. It might offer anymore perfomance than a previous years with the same options added, but it is special edition.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 01-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The 993 Turbo S made more power 424 HP, had a 996TT like air inlet. It was distinguishable visually and made more power. An excerpt from Wikipedia:

Turbo S
During the second to the last year of production of the 993 (1997), Porsche offered the 993 Turbo S. Ultimately 183 cars were sold. The Turbo S is a high-spec Turbo including a power upgrade to 424 hp (SAE) for the American market and to 450 hp (DIN) in other markets. The inclusion of extras including carbonfibre decoration in the interior makes it different from the earlier lightweight, spartan 964 Turbo S. The 993 Turbo S is recognized by yellow brake calipers, a slightly larger rear wing, a 4-pipe exhaust and air scoops behind the doors. This was the last of the air-cooled Turbos. 12 Turbo S cars were delivered to Australia.
Most critics today call it "the best porsche ever made" and that "it will never be defeated."
It was based on the GT2 but with 4WD and it was a bit more luxurious. It has the same brakes as the GT2 and same basic shape as the GT2.
http://www.forum-auto.com/uploads/200403/joe_l_arsouille_1078485588_turbos.jpg

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
The S was the last year 996TT with a group of previously offered options as standard package (PCCB, Aerokit, and x-50). The last of each breed always seems to get a premium. Look at the 993 Turbo S. It might offer anymore perfomance than a previous years with the same options added, but it is special edition.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Yes, the 996Tt was also special, low production, more HP and all of the goodies that would have cost you 190K if you ordered them in 2004.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by robertp
Yes, the 996Tt was also special, low production, more HP and all of the goodies that would have cost you 190K if you ordered them in 2004.
I don't think ordering the Turbo S options back in '04 would have resulted in a $190k car. I don't have a '04 order guide handy, but here are the number pulled from the '03 order guide I have as a PDF file:

Base price: $116,200
PCCB: $8,150
X50: $17,880

= $142, 230

Base price of a '05 Turbo S Coupe was $131,400

So the Turbo S was a saving of $10,830 over buying an earlier Turbo and adding the X50 and PCCB.

The aerokit was mentioned in another post. The kit was an option on both the Turbo S Coupe and the earlier Turbo Coupes (I don't believe the kit was available from the factory for '01 cars).

Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by RudyTT
I don't think ordering the Turbo S options back in '04 would have resulted in a $190k car. I don't have a '04 order guide handy, but here are the number pulled from the '03 order guide I have as a PDF file:

Base price: $116,200

= $142, 230

Base price of a '05 Turbo S Coupe was $131,400

So the Turbo S was a saving of $10,830 over buying an earlier Turbo and adding the X50 and PCCB.

The aerokit was mentioned in another post. The kit was an option on both the Turbo S Coupe and the earlier Turbo Coupes (I don't believe the kit was available from the factory for '01 cars).
How much more for a cab with full leather interior trim, GT 2 Intercoolers and a standard carbon fiber trim package? Does the base price of the 2004 offer memory seats? How about the Bose audio system and the Prosche Communication Management (PCM) system? I also have the bigger steering wheel with carbon fiber inserts.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Found a ’04 Turbo Cab order guide from Renntech. Here are the key numbers:

Base price: $128,200
Black Full Leather (AH) $0
Carbon package –small (E77): $2,120
Carbon steering wheel (XPD): $1,205
Thicker Steering wheel (CPZ): $675
Total = 158,230

From the ’05 Turbo S order guide:

Base Turbo S Cab: $141,200
Black Full Leather (AH) $0
Thicker Steering wheel (CPZ): $730
Carbon package –small (E77): $2,120
Carbon steering wheel (XPD): $1,205
Total= $145,255

I am not seeing the PCM listed as standard equip. in either order guides. However, if memory serves, every ’04 and ’05 Turbo/S I’ve looked at has PCM. So maybe Porsche NA forgot to include it into the order guide. Also not seeing mention of memory seats as an option in either year.

It would seem the only difference between ’04 and ’05 would be Porsche packaging the X50 and PCCB as standard in ’05.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
How much more for a cab with full leather interior trim, GT 2 Intercoolers and a standard carbon fiber trim package? Does the base price of the 2004 offer memory seats? How about the Bose audio system and the Prosche Communication Management (PCM) system? I also have the bigger steering wheel with carbon fiber inserts.
FYI, the GT2 ICs came with all X50s and Turbo 'S's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S respect or lack thereof?