996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo S respect or lack thereof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Turbo S respect or lack thereof?

Just a question, and in no way peevish.

It seems that the 996 Turbo S cars get dissed on a lot for NOT being rare and NOT being "any big deal"

I am curios if this is a bonafide response to overmarketing, or to folks who have them thinking they ARE 'hot stuff" and bragging incessantly to the annoyance of other folks, or if it's envy on the part of folks who don't have Turbo S's

Seriously just a question here and would like to hear some opinions

I will freely admit I had no idea that Turbo S's were/may be a limited run car when I bought mine.

I bought mine because it was

A) LOW miles
B) NOT black, NOT silver, NOT gray
C) The interior was NOT red or tan
D) It's a cab

Then I found out that it "might" be a bit more special after I had had it awhile.

I have also seen production numbers in the low hundreds for these, which to me seems rather low production, but then I hear 'Yeah they sold more Turbo S's in 05 then not S Turbo's so they ain't nuthin"

Original sticker on mine (still have it from previous owner) was $145K plus change

So which is it? Special or not so special?

Just curios as much as they seem to be a bit controversial, I love mine and have no intentions of parting with it. I AM glad I know now what I do know now about them seeing as I'm getting a Proto flash and a couple other small tweaks and will get more bang for my buck, but would have on the X50 package to.

So, have it. What's the real deal on the 996 Turbo S cars?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I think if you compare a S with a normal Turbo, the S would be more "prefered". But if you mod your car (like many of us do), the S become not as "rare" because you'll swap many of those parts out.

I have a non-S, but my sticker shows (yes, still have it from the 1st owner) $150K plus.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Good point, makes sense.

If buying for the express purpose of heavy modding, then yeah I would not go for the S, since as you say you'll swap out a good portion of what you may have paid a premium for

Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I think they are neat, but the above post is correct....many of us mod so while Turbo S's and X50 packages are neat, we all want to make more than the 450hp!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
BeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really nice
don't like I've ever seen someone "diss" a turbo s. PCCBs are great and having the snazzy S on the rear lid is fun I would imagine. But mods make paying extra for the car not needed for some.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Agreed , "dissed on alot" was an overstatement. More along the lines of "yeah butt'ed" sometimes

I do see a common thread here regarding modding though and I certainly see that angle.

Mines gettin a tune, DVs and flash and I'll likely stop there so the K24s are of benefit to me, or at least made it easier to decide to stop at that point.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
its special because a turbo s comes around at the end of the life cycle of that particular model

the 996 s wasn't as special as the 993 s..

what porsche did for power and braking, didnt distinquish it enough like a 993 turbo as, or the upcoming 997 turbo S (asthetics, special colors etc)

Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Agree on the 993, and you are almost certainly right on the 997

993 Turbo (S or not) will likely be my next P-car

Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
I would agree to the "Heavily Modded" comment but that is all.

Flash, DV's, Headers, Exhaust etc. Do not really swap any of the "S" specific parts.

The "S" being the last of the breed will have all the upgrades in both technology and thought that was not considered in the earlier models.

E.G. I have read that the "S" PCCBs are a little better than the early examples and not so prone to failure. I am sure there are more example of this.

SWR

Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I think the 993 turbo has been lifted high on the altar because it's the last of the aircoolers, so more true to the orginial porsche heritage.
Back on topic...
Who cares except you. The X50 package is more desireable....period. Sure mods can trump it, but it started life at the top, and that my friend is cool.
Cheers.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
According to "The Essential Companion" in 2004 there were 2 coupes and 3 cabs. For 2005 there were 598 coupes and 960 cabs. These numbers are only for the S model.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
I think the 993 turbo has been lifted high on the altar because it's the last of the aircoolers, so more true to the orginial porsche heritage.
Back on topic...
Who cares except you. The X50 package is more desireable....period. Sure mods can trump it, but it started life at the top, and that my friend is cool.
Cheers.
Agreed on both points

Originally Posted by landjet
According to "The Essential Companion" in 2004 there were 2 coupes and 3 cabs. For 2005 there were 598 coupes and 960 cabs. These numbers are only for the S model.
Good info, thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
If I were to see a Turbo with the "S" badge on the tail, I'd do a double take. I respect them like I respect any 911tt that I see, no matter what generation

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
As someone currently trying to find the right Turbo, I don't disrespect the Turbo S per se, but I also wouldn't pay a preimum for it when compared to non S cars with similar options and mileage just because of the Turbo S badge. To me, the 993 Turbo S was more unique, in that it set itself apart from the other 993 Turbo. Whereas the 996 Turbo S was more or less a '02-'04 Turbo with X50 and PCCB.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The Turbo S model line is a low production car. Some years they made 35 other years they made 250. The latter pertains to the 2005 Turbo S for NA. These cars also tend to be assembled from leftover parts and spend more time on the assembly line. The 05 Turbo S has a different ECU map than the X50, GT2 Intercoolers, stronger tranny, and outperforms its counter part. Everyone who has spent time on this board has seen video of my car outperforming other cars it should not. I understand you nay have a hard time understanding what I am saying, but I am a true believer that the car is special. Now that I have put an exhaust, flash and clutch on her, it still outperforms cars with 90+ more claimed HP.

And yes the Turbo S has the generation 2 PCCB's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S respect or lack thereof?