996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

About to Order HRE Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by qvt408
Actually the 593r has the hardware showing. Are there any advantage or disadvantages getting 12" in there rear . I Would hate to have to deal with rolling my fenders

Rolling the rear lips is no big deal. The GT2 and GT3 cars come that way from the factory. I good shop with the right rolling tool and a heat gun can do it.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Agreed. This is a $100 job

If you are going to spend $5,000+ on new wheels tires, don't you want them to be as big as possible? Some of teh best looking setups IMO involve a great "tuck" of the wheel/tire combo in the fenders

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Rolling the rear lips is no big deal. The GT2 and GT3 cars come that way from the factory. I good shop with the right rolling tool and a heat gun can do it.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Another problem with chrome outers is corrosion under the tire bead. You can't see it but it causes bead leaks. Ask me how I know, I've had it happen three times on three different wheels. It's not only caused by water vapor in compressed air, but by chemicals in the tires. Nitrogen inflation will help but not solve the problem as moisture can also enter from the outside of the bead. High polished outers can also corrode but not nearly as fast as chrome. Previouly I had polished Kensis outers and never had a problem other than spending a few hours every other month polishing them. The preferred solution (for both ease of maintenance and leaks) is high polished outers with a clear powder coat. No bead leaks and low maintenance.
(Sprayed on clear coat will also cause leaks). I currently have Zones with chrome outers. I'm going in next week to the outers replaced with polished/clear coated. The lesson is never ever buy chromed wheels or wheels with chromed outers.
Great point!

Originally Posted by MY996TT
I have 890R with hidden hardware (inside the center). It is a real pain in the rear that I cannot pump air at gas stations, plus most chucks cannot fit thru the small opening. I believe 593R is also with hidden hardware. If I were you, I'd consider other models.

edited, btw, chrome lip really brings out the look of the wheels, and reflects the center of the wheel and bring out another dimension. IMO, it doesn't matter what the center is but the lip must be chrome.

Eugene,

When I bought my HRE 545R for my E46 m3, they came with a small extension that will allow you to air up your HRE's at any gas station. If you don't have that, may I suggest you ask HRE to send you a couple. It's a must have! I still kept mine and if you need a pic of what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll take one for you.

Originally Posted by qvt408
Actually the 593r has the hardware showing. Are there any advantage or disadvantages getting 12" in there rear . I Would hate to have to deal with rolling my fenders
My 360Forged and HRE 895's are 12" rears...no rubbing issues at all

Originally Posted by btapp
How is HRE doing from a quality perspective these days? I had 545's on my Viper and the fit and finish could have been better.
When I had my 545s back in 04, I had a clearcoat peeling issue also. I owned a few more sets of HRE's since then and no issues so far

Agreed... the only problem that you may encounter when rolling fenders are buckling in the paint. I had this happen in my s2000 and it was not pretty. That is the ONLY thing holding me back from rolling my fenders. In fact, I'm more likely going to have them shaved than rolled

Edwin

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have a flex tubing extension and it is very hard to use; so I don't use it. Can you post of pic of yours please?
Thanks, Eugene

Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Great point!
Eugene,

When I bought my HRE 545R for my E46 m3, they came with a small extension that will allow you to air up your HRE's at any gas station. If you don't have that, may I suggest you ask HRE to send you a couple. It's a must have! I still kept mine and if you need a pic of what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll take one for you.
Edwin

Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Abomar is infamous around these parts
I think polished too; but one question: What colour is your TT??

Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
qvt408 is infamous around these parts
Its silver, for sure im going with the high polished with clearcoat look. Dont wanna have to send my wheels in if i chip the chrome ones.