996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
Well, that sounds very good then. Another concern to check off the list
You can go out on the net and find a ton of 964's and 993's w/ 120, 30 and 40,000+ miles on them. The 996 is a better platform then either ( IMO ) for longevity as long as you do the proper maintenance. Talk to guys that have sold these cars for a long time, or better guys that you find around town. The guys who drive these cars the most get the best bang for their buck!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
You can go out on the net and find a ton of 964's and 993's w/ 120, 30 and 40,000+ miles on them. The 996 is a better platform then either ( IMO ) for longevity as long as you do the proper maintenance. Talk to guys that have sold these cars for a long time, or better guys that you find around town. The guys who drive these cars the most get the best bang for their buck!
Nice! Yeah, the 996 is the oldest I want to go. Lots of newer/better technology compared to the 993.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
Nice! Yeah, the 996 is the oldest I want to go. Lots of newer/better technology compared to the 993.

Don't forget clean 993's are starting to increase in value (last of the aircooled, ask me how I know I bought a 95-993 for $65k kept it for 12 years and sold it for $40k) compared to 996's that are still facing depreciation.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 02-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Don't forget clean 993's are starting to increase in value (last of the aircooled, ask my how I know I bought a 95-993 for $65k kept it for 12 years and sold it for $40k) compared to 996's that are still facing depreciation.
As far as body styling goes, I do have to say I probably like the 993 and 997 over the 996.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
I have read couple cases of rear wing motor failure. Don't know how common the problem is, but seems to be a ~$1,800 fix, unless you opt for a car with fixed wing (i.e., aerokit or GT2 decklid).

Gen 1 PCCB rotors were prone to cracking when tracked. I've heard a replacement rotor can cost up to $5k/piece. Not a problem for most Turbos as most didn't check off this option when ordering their Turbo.

I think you have just about everything else covered (2nd gear popout, diverter valves, regular maintenance costs, et.)

Good luck in your search for the right Turbo!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
Unable to respond to PM

Thank you for the PM sharing your experience, you know who you are. Keyed up a response until I realized I couldn't respond since I have fewer than 15 posts.

I hadn't consider the diverter valve. I viewed the car I am likely to buy yesterday. I saw in the mntc records that the diverter valve had been replaced.

I was so excited by the car, I forgot so many things to check for and ask about. Car looked great, records intact and the owner clearly loved the car.

However, I am not capable of really understanding what I am looking at or what I should be looking for. Need to rely on a professional for that.

Price is $2k more than budgeted. Planning for a PPI the week after next (schedules permitting).

Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks again for the great info

Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have any info on the RMS (Rear Main Seal) and IMS (Intermediate Shaft) issues? What is that all about?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
t2_996420 is infamous around these partst2_996420 is infamous around these parts
Luciano,

My 2003 X50 is bone stock and has just a touch over 249,000 miles. It's got the original engine, tranny, clutch, turbos, PCCB rotors, etc. It's run every day, tracked 6-10 times/year, run all winter and enjoyed all of those miles. I change the oil religiously every 5000 miles and tranny and diff fluids at 60000. I had the engine out for a wiring harness issue at 172,000 +/- and we pulled the tranny to inspect the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. They were all fine (clutch mic'd at 90% material left from a new stock clutch), we replaced the two bearings and the RMS at that point. I've done a front diff a while back, shocks are now shot and will be replaced shortly (new ones will be KW V3's). There have been a host of other what I call minor issues, fuel pump, carbon can on fuel system, miscellaneous hoses/vacuum lines, divert valves, power steering pump had the annoying squeal so it was done, a few slave cylinders and accumulators, coolant tank, water pump, cardan (intermediate) shaft, all three radiators - stuff that goes when the car is driven all year (in the winter also).

My opinion and mileage is based on regular maintenance and daily driving - I suggest you do the same and enjoy the smiles daily!!

Good luck!!

T2

Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow, that is amazing!! Great to hear and thanks for your post!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
dtakenname is infamous around these parts
Hi,
t2_996420
Is it possible to tell us more about the nature of the cardan (intermediate) shaft problem? What happened to it and how it was fixed? Did you had to open the crank case for that?
Many Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by t2_996420
Luciano,

My 2003 X50 is bone stock and has just a touch over 249,000 miles. It's got the original engine, tranny, clutch, turbos, PCCB rotors, etc. It's run every day, tracked 6-10 times/year, run all winter and enjoyed all of those miles. I change the oil religiously every 5000 miles and tranny and diff fluids at 60000. I had the engine out for a wiring harness issue at 172,000 +/- and we pulled the tranny to inspect the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. They were all fine (clutch mic'd at 90% material left from a new stock clutch), we replaced the two bearings and the RMS at that point. I've done a front diff a while back, shocks are now shot and will be replaced shortly (new ones will be KW V3's). There have been a host of other what I call minor issues, fuel pump, carbon can on fuel system, miscellaneous hoses/vacuum lines, divert valves, power steering pump had the annoying squeal so it was done, a few slave cylinders and accumulators, coolant tank, water pump, cardan (intermediate) shaft, all three radiators - stuff that goes when the car is driven all year (in the winter also).

My opinion and mileage is based on regular maintenance and daily driving - I suggest you do the same and enjoy the smiles daily!!

Good luck!!

T2

Holy high milage Batman. Even Ford and Chevy pick ups cant get this far.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 PM
t2_996420 is infamous around these partst2_996420 is infamous around these parts
dtakenname,

From what I remember on one end of the shaft is a rubberized flange that was found during a routine service visit to have cracks in it - there was not any obvious sound or anything else to tell me it was cracked - a good mechanic found it and we replaced it.

Now on my wifes Cayenne when the cardan shaft was about to go there was a thud thud thud under acceleration you could hear (as if a shaft was out of round and rubbing against the undercarriage). It also did not fail but was darn close to failing when it was replaced.

In either case it was a simple repair from a lift from what I have seen when I've been under either vehicle.

T2

Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
I sold my 986 and bought an S2000 instead of a 996 NA to replace it for daily duties due to the block (IMS) problems that a previous poster alluded to. While the TT may have a few small issues such as 2nd gear popout, it has no potentially catastrophic issues like the 996 NA cars do. The TT line is pretty solid.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
t2_996420, that is an amazing stat for any car/truck! Just 1 more reason that I believe you get the Biggest Bang for your buck by driving this car every day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo long term reliability?