996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
996 Turbo long term reliability?

Eventually I will be getting a 996 TT or 997 TT. I was just wondering if there are any known issues with these cars and what the expected pricetag of the parts would be. Any model years that should be avoided?

Also, not beating on it too hard, how many miles could I expect these motors to last (with proper maintenance of course)? 100k, 150k, 200k ? When I get one, I plan on keeping it around for many years.

Thanks!!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
Eventually I will be getting a 996 TT or 997 TT. I was just wondering if there are any known issues with these cars and what the expected pricetag of the parts would be. Any model years that should be avoided?

Also, not beating on it too hard, how many miles could I expect these motors to last (with proper maintenance of course)? 100k, 150k, 200k ? When I get one, I plan on keeping it around for many years.

Thanks!!
Never drop the clutch and she should serve you well.

SWR

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Never drop the clutch and she should serve you well.

SWR
Who would do such a thing

I'm actually a pretty mellow driver compared to some others.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
BeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really niceBeltFed is just really nice
I saw turbos come through the dealer with 100,000+ on them, keep up on the maintence and it will treat you good

Porsche service interval sheet has it out to 192,000KM so they are planning on it having a long life

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd probably get a well maintained one with 40-50k miles on it. I would like to to keep it for 10 years orso. Currently doing about 4kmi/year should put me around 80-90k mi when I sell it.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
I'd love to see more responses

It would be nice to see the mileage people have on their cars

This thread references 200k+

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...got-miles.html

You'd think this would be a badge of courage and people would boast about it. I see a lot of threads about top speeds, acceleration times, mods and the like. Which I appreciate and admire!

I am in the hunt for a 996 Turbo and operating costs are my primary concern. I expect to pay for maintenance but would benefit from the experience and expectations of others.

It does seem that the biggest vulnerability to be the clutch and possibly the 2nd gear pop out.

Tires last 10k, I get it. I've heard clutch lasts 35k (but that was from a seller). Turbos, 60k?

Few posts include the cost of their repairs. I am left to assume that nothing on the car costs less than $1000! No disillusion here.

When I pull the trigger, it will be my DD and I plan to keep it indefinitely. Just want a bit more confidence that ALL my disposable income won't be consumed for the privilege.

PPI is a prerequisite, understood. Insurance varies, ok?

What is a realistic maintenance budget? $2k, $5k a year (not including tires)? Can I buy a sub 60k mileage car and realistically drive it for 100k miles?

I've spent more than $40k on a vehicle before, but it wasn't for a 7 - 10 year old supercar.

Help.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I have seen cars with 190k in great shape and 60k cars that are beat up. It all depends on # of owners, care, maintenance. I know John @ Speedtech has over 100k on his and still going STRONG.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Durango Kid
When I pull the trigger, it will be my DD and I plan to keep it indefinitely. Just want a bit more confidence that ALL my disposable income won't be consumed for the privilege.

What is a realistic maintenance budget? $2k, $5k a year (not including tires)? Can I buy a sub 60k mileage car and realistically drive it for 100k miles?

I've spent more than $40k on a vehicle before, but it wasn't for a 7 - 10 year old supercar.

Help.
You can buy a sub-60k car and drive it well past 100k... its a Porsche. It sounds like you know what expect as far as maintenance and they are very reasonable compared to Lambos, Ferraris, etc... I got lucky and bought my 996tt from a previous customer and my company serviced the failed clutch and diverter valves. I see my maintenance budget averaged at ~$500./year (oil, brake fluid, filters) including rear tire replacement every 2-3 years. (not driven much)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Durango Kid
It would be nice to see the mileage people have on their cars

This thread references 200k+

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...got-miles.html

You'd think this would be a badge of courage and people would boast about it. I see a lot of threads about top speeds, acceleration times, mods and the like. Which I appreciate and admire!

I am in the hunt for a 996 Turbo and operating costs are my primary concern. I expect to pay for maintenance but would benefit from the experience and expectations of others.

It does seem that the biggest vulnerability to be the clutch and possibly the 2nd gear pop out.

Tires last 10k, I get it. I've heard clutch lasts 35k (but that was from a seller). Turbos, 60k?

Few posts include the cost of their repairs. I am left to assume that nothing on the car costs less than $1000! No disillusion here.

PPI is a prerequisite, understood. Insurance varies, ok?

Help.
Well, as far as regular maintenance goes, I think it's not too bad to get an idea. I was looking up brake pads and rotors the other day and while it is more than a regular car, it was still only a few hundred bucks. Most of the common maintenance, we should be able to figure out. Regular items are:

* Fluids (oil, coolant, diff, transmission, brake fluid): this really shouldn't set you back that much regardless of the kind of car
* Tires: unless you drive really aggressively, I think 20k for high performance tires is realistic. I currently have 26k mi on the tires on my current car and the only reason they need replacement is due to camber wear in the rear. Of course, due to the sizes, they will be pricy on the turbo.
* Brake pads and rotors.
* Clutch: well, I think that really depends on how you drive the car. No offense but a lot of people don't know how to drive a manual. If you don't let the clutch slip too much or 'ride the clutch' while driving, I would expect to get *at least* 50k out of it. I have 81k miles on the original clutch on my BMW and the car is supercharged, so the clutch was not intended for that power.
* Maybe refreshing the cooling system (radiator, hoses, etc.) at around 100k miles?
* Not really maintenance but I think yearly registration will be $$$

What I'm wondering about the most, is the cost of common items that actually break down rather than regular maintenance. I mean, the only regular maintenance item should be an oil and filter change (and maybe air filter), which I plan on doing myself.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Speaking of yearly registration I just got my renewal in mail yesterday. $444. for state of michigan. I don't plan on spending that much to renew though. :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Speaking of yearly registration I just got my renewal in mail yesterday. $444. for state of michigan. I don't plan on spending that much to renew though. :-)
That's actually not too bad. Freakin' CA raised their taxes; it's ridiculous. I believe we paid $300 for our 2007 GTI.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
nearly 1200 for 03 996tt in CA.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by harkerdude
nearly 1200 for 03 996tt in CA.
Wow, so I'd be paying the same. Another reason to go with an older one I guess.

What's the ballpark insurance? I pay about $1000/year for my '99 BMW (clean record)

Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
cjaz is infamous around these parts
Does it really cost 1200 per year to register a 03TT in California? I think PA stinks because we have to get our cars inspected every year at about $80 and pay a $39 yearly registration fee. when i last lived in Delaware in was even cheaper and much less of a hassle than PA.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by cjaz
Does it really cost 1200 per year to register a 03TT in California? I think PA stinks because we have to get our cars inspected every year at about $80 and pay a $39 yearly registration fee. when i last lived in Delaware in was even cheaper and much less of a hassle than PA.
$39 ?!? Wow, that's crazy! I can believe that it would be $1200. I live in the same county as him and paid roughly $300 for my GTI I believe. Back in May, they changed a certain fee (%) on the registration to nearly double the amount.

I need to find a friend with a residence in another state and register it there, geesh!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo long term reliability?