996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Review: EPL K16 Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Review: EPL K16 Flash

I know there are many happy campers out there with EPL products, but I wanted to take a few minutes to share my own experience.

Having drooled over every 996 Turbo I've seen since they came out in 01, I was able to pick one up this September. It was a stock 01 with 30k miles that was in great shape. I'm pretty much a "n00b" on this forum and to Porsche ownership, but have owned a couple of Supras before and like to take a fairly technical approach to mods. Like many others, I found the stock 996TT "ok" out of the box power-wise and exceptional everywhere else. After researching several companies & speaking with many owners using their products (many from other German car communities), I knew a flash was *the* bang for the buck mod & chose EPL. After waiting several months for the EPL K16 flash special to reappear, I jumped when Tony graciously offered it.

I don't know a better way to say it: Dave M & Tony offered, by far,the best customer service I have ever seen in my 15 years of modding cars. When I ordered the flash via email/PMs, Tony said "we're busy now but give me your number and we'll be in touch". I thought "yeah right, I've heard this before". Dave called me within the hour(!) & answered all of my questions/set everything up. The flash cable arrived at my place in Albuquerque the next day. As my luck would have it, the cable had an issue -"no problem" Dave said, and I had another cable the next day.

Once things were sorted on my end, the flash was a 10 minute process. With fresh DVs, plugs and coil packs, I took the car out and added some 100 octane to the tank (this is a pump gas flash but I always mix the local 91 craptane with at least half a tank of 100 to be extra safe). Initial impressions are the same as so many others with the EPL flash...."holy ****!" The part throttle driveability is soooo much improved and boost comes on substantially quicker in the thin ABQ air. WOT is a blast with a solid 1.1 bar in 3rd gear -just a nice great smooth, very controllable, pull all the way to redline. It should have been this way from the factory. This car puts the power down so well (as opposed to my small single (~550rwhp) turbo supra). The launch enhancer engages at around 4200 rpm and quickly build several pounds of boost -since I'm on the stock clutch, I didn't let it out

If you are on the edge with one of these flashes, DO IT! My only caveat/recommendation is to be sure your car is up to snuff before you install the software (DVs, plugs, coil packs, boost leak check) so you can enjoy it to the fullest right off the bat.

Sorry for the rambling but I felt Dave & Tony deserved it after serving up some pure awesomeness. I plan to do a few durametric logs & dyno it later this week and will update this thread accordingly. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Congrats on a good experience...
Most vendors here do a good job...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Nice write-up Earl - let the modding begin and enjoy your ride.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Congrats on a good experience...
Most vendors here do a good job...
markski
Thanks Marek, though I haven't dealt with others, it seems many of the tuners & vendors in this community are a step above the rest. I'm looking forward to it when the mod bug bites again

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Great review, and really happy to hear that you're enjoying it!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Tony and the boys Do it again !!
Elliot

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Elliot,

Did you sell your car or do you still have it?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Elliot,

Did you sell your car or do you still have it?
Hi John
Which car are you asking about ?
Elliot

Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The 996TT. I thought you had it for sale last fall...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the EPL flash last week on the "special" Tony was offering He really took time to answer my questions, and did not feel any pressure into buying his tune. I did alot of searching here on the 6 and seemed to be the right choice for me.

Just got the cable today and plan on installing the flash this weekend, if I can get home from work at a decent time maybe sooner.

There is a Rousch Stage 3 Mustang that wants to do a "friendly" run. Maybe the EPL tune will make it interesting.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Make sure battery is fully charged

TOny and Dave are great one word of advice, make sure you battery is full charged as I had to increase teh power for my flash to work. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
Great review! Can't wait to get a EPL flash for mine this spring!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 AM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
+1 for Tony and Dave at EPL

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
The 996TT. I thought you had it for sale last fall...
sold
John,
Yes I had nice 02 Seal grey that sold, I Still Still have the Midnite blue with your goodies and Tony's Tune ..... WOW I love it.

Elliot

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review: EPL K16 Flash