996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any good option for TT Front pad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
EBC red are dirty sons of *****es!

If you want to improve stopping power, do a set of steel braided lines, motul brake fluid and start there. Then based upon what you are driving the car, you can pick your pad. Again the Pagid RS29 yellow is an OEM GT3 application and I think would suit you well. I have them in my 997TT and they dont squeak.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing

If you want to improve stopping power, do a set of steel braided lines, motul brake fluid and start there. Then based upon what you are driving the car, you can pick your pad. Again the Pagid RS29 yellow is an OEM GT3 application and I think would suit you well. I have them in my 997TT and they dont squeak.
Thanks for always being around to help w/ advice! Are there any brake pads that aren't as dusty as the stock w/ out noise?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Well ok then.

Don't need increased stopping power, just less dust without squeal.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Bought car used and pads came with it. Do not know what brand but not OEM for sure.
Originally Posted by GreggT
Maybe it's been said & I missed it but......if your brakes now have OE Porsche pads, they are in good shape, were bedded in properly......and yet your brakes 'suck' for street use....it's possible you have other issues than pads......just my opin.

Last edited by aroonkl; 02-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
My car is 01' tt. I think brake disk is small than later year.
With my mod (just went in) Tial A28, Big IC, Injectors, 75 TB+IPD, Bigger turbo intake, I do not feel well with my brake. It is hard with firm feeling but do not have a good bite in stopping.
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
He said the stock brakes work fine till you get around 650HP. That there is no need to change the brake lines to SS unless they are in need of change from age and wear. Then go ahead and do it then.
A guy who owns a Sharkwerks an 01 650hp told me to go w/ black pads and SS lines and that would do fine until you get past 650HP. At that point look at the GT brakes pads and rotors or a Brembo type set up.
Right now my stock X50 seems to stop fine.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
You have RS19 or RS29?
Dan, can't remember now since I put them on last July. Invoice only shows 2707 which is a Pagid designation.

I love the pads and they don't make much noise, but the OP did say he didn't want any squeal. From the looks of his engine mods, he may be better off with race pads.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aroonkl
My car is 01' tt. I think brake disk is small than later year.
With my mod (just went in) Tial A28, Big IC, Injectors, 75 TB+IPD, Bigger turbo intake, I do not feel well with my brake. It is hard with firm feeling but do not have a good bite in stopping.
I know when I first got my car it seemed to be soft when I wanted to stop. I have got used to it I guess because it stops just fine.
I didn't mean to imply that what I was told was the rule. Like I said, I have been told many different things and read even more.
Just for clarity, the guy I was talking to is named Todd. He's a pretty good tuner... .
Since the steel braded lines are 1 of the cheaper mods and it is adding safety to the car, I'll be doing it when I need pads. I am under the impression that the black pads are pretty aggressive. ( I don't know for sure ) If so I would want to know how much faster could I expect to be changing the rotors?
I have a DD and I don't want to be changing things when I don't have to. I'd rather have just what I need and mod something else on the car then do regular maintenance because I have something that is over kill.
I am sure I will revisits this when I get my car to the HP I want.
Good luck w/ your mods and keep us up to date to what you find out.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
You have RS19 or RS29?
Dan,
You mean Yellow RS29 is better and no squeal?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Ryboy996GT700 is infamous around these partsRyboy996GT700 is infamous around these parts
Hate dust... boooooo dust!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yes I am recommending the RS29.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Dan these Pagid Yellow RS29's are just for the front ? and they fit the OEM 996 TT Caliper ? should I keep stocks on the rear ? what do they cost please

Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
EBC redstuffs work fine for me and have been easy on the rotors. I plan to go to yellows as I am getting faster....these pads allow you to run street and track....well.

Not sure why they are getting called "dsob's..."..? They did go through a complete re-chemical construction recently, and the old ones and new ones are light years apart. Just fyi.

I also recommend SRF brake fluid if you DE.... Good investment.

JB

Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
DS1
DS1 is infamous around these parts
I have the RS-29 compound (P90 according to Porsche) in my 996TT. They work very well, both for daily use and for track use. Fronts don't squeel, rears just a little bit on some occasions, but not annoyingly so.

RS-29 is the standard pad front for GT3 Mk II, and option for GT3 Mk II rear (don't know why).

You can't go wrong with these pads.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I really liked Akebono cermaic pads for street driving on my previous cars. I was surprised to see that they do not have a front pad application for the turbo. Very dissapointed....those practically had no brake dust..

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |