996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any good option for TT Front pad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Any good option for TT Front pad?

I'm trying to get new Front brake pads. Ones came with the car are still thick but suck in stopping. Any one for street use with good bite? I would concern with squealing. I read some threads but still not clear what to get.
Mintex: some say ok. Better/worse than OE?
Textar: OE supplier. Really?. Same as OE but cheaper?
Pagid Blue:
Pagid Orange:

Any suggestion?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Pagid pads are great , I use the yellows and blacks. However, they are racing pads and will squeal. I have learned to modulate the pedal to eliminate 97% of the squeal while street driving. Do you track your car? If not, you are probably better off with OEM pads, which are Textar, and Jurid. I have heard that Mintex is also good.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by landjet
Pagid pads are great , I use the yellows and blacks. However, they are racing pads and will squeal. I have learned to modulate the pedal to eliminate 97% of the squeal while street driving. Do you track your car? If not, you are probably better off with OEM pads, which are Textar, and Jurid. I have heard that Mintex is also good.

Agreed.... if you are not tracking the car, OEM's are great.

If you track, then the Pagid's are good.

Justin

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Pads are easy to change, is it a bad idea to have a set for track days and a set for daily driving? Bad for the rotors or anything? I would think that would be easier for guys just doing a handful of track days a year.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AdamW81
Pads are easy to change, is it a bad idea to have a set for track days and a set for daily driving? Bad for the rotors or anything? I would think that would be easier for guys just doing a handful of track days a year.
This is what I have always done....

Aggressive track pads will tear up the rotors pretty good, but you can switch anyway. If you're really concerned then get 2 sets of rotors as well and swap the entire kit and caboodle. Make sure you label everything though.

Justin

Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Go with the Pagid RS29 Yellow. OEM GT3 application and work great on the street with little noise. I also recommend adding Steel Braided Brakelines and doing a fluid flush with Motul. That could be some of the problem...

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 AM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
I try to avoid noise if possible. Already have nut in the can sound with LWFW. Would hate it if added garbage truck squeak.

Dan, Any good in Pagid Blue or Orange?
What is diff between RS4-2, RS5 Blue?
Originally Posted by vividracing
Go with the Pagid RS29 Yellow. OEM GT3 application and work great on the street with little noise. I also recommend adding Steel Braided Brakelines and doing a fluid flush with Motul. That could be some of the problem...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I have read and been told a few different things. The last time I asked about this the guy I was talking to would be ( IMO ) 1 of the best sources of knowledge on the subject of tuning.
He said the stock brakes work fine till you get around 650HP. That there is no need to change the brake lines to SS unless they are in need of change from age and wear. Then go ahead and do it then.
A guy who owns a Sharkwerks an 01 650hp told me to go w/ black pads and SS lines and that would do fine until you get past 650HP. At that point look at the GT brakes pads and rotors or a Brembo type set up.
Right now my stock X50 seems to stop fine.
I do have good tread on the tires and I don't drive it like the Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camry drivers that seem to want to race at every light.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Pagid orange is a race pad that makes a lot of noise. The blues are called their sport pad, so I'm not sure how much noise they produce. If you want quiet, go OEM.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Dont run blue - aggressive. Orange is a step more then yellow. Go with yellow

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aroonkl
I'm trying to get new Front brake pads. Ones came with the car are still thick but suck in stopping. Any one for street use with good bite? I would concern with squealing. I read some threads but still not clear what to get.
Mintex: some say ok. Better/worse than OE?
Textar: OE supplier. Really?. Same as OE but cheaper?
Pagid Blue:
Pagid Orange:

Any suggestion?
Maybe it's been said & I missed it but......if your brakes now have OE Porsche pads, they are in good shape, were bedded in properly......and yet your brakes 'suck' for street use....it's possible you have other issues than pads......just my opin.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GreggT
Maybe it's been said & I missed it but......if your brakes now have OE Porsche pads, they are in good shape, were bedded in properly......and yet your brakes 'suck' for street use....it's possible you have other issues than pads......just my opin.
+1 - As Dan said I'd start with a flush and inspect your lines, if all is well and the car is primarily a street driven car go with Pagid Yellows.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
OP said he doesn't want any noise from his pads. Yellows squeal, I know because they are on my car. Excellent pads, but not silent.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor
You have RS19 or RS29?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Anything out there to retain the OEM stopping power, no noise, but eliminate the dust?

I've heard of EBC Reds, but it's been a while since I've seen anything written up about them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any good option for TT Front pad?