996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What got you into Porsches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
ALMS and Rolex on TV sparked my interest around about 2006 when I really started to get into track driving. I started off as a BMW loyalist then moved to Corvette's, when I owned them I wanted nothing more than to stomp down Porsche's because to the outside world, beating Porsche's is initiation into manhood. Had never even considered buying a Porsche.

I never liked the look of 911's until I saw them racing, then I started loving them. Almost bought a GTS Viper two months prior to getting a TT. Was at the bank taking out certified funds to pay for it when I just couldn't get over the lies the dealer told me about the car. Nearly bought another GTS but it had a custom full paint job and was located in upstate Cali, so I bailed on it too. Had I bought either, would not have been here much. Went to a track day soon after at Road Atlanta and saw most all of the cars that were going fast were Porsche's so I started looking into them.

I had initially looked into the GT3 but after coming from a 800 whp Corvette I knew I'd need some hp to keep up with some of the people I knew (namely shop cars). When I saw a guy running past the GT3's in a White 996 TT (CAB!!!!) that was the end of story, I went and got one by the end of the week.

Jenk12m, a good friend, jokingly told me as I was at the dealer "you know if you buy one I'm going to have to get one too" I sent him a picture of me cheesing as I drove off the lot, and a message saying "Your Turn"..........

Within a few weeks he had one too.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
biased nature of law enforcement towards JDM cars pushed me into a porsche. that said, Im pleasantly suprised. loving the 996tt...

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
I never liked Porsche's. I always thought they sounded like glorified VW Bugs. Now this may sound like blasphamy to some, but in '99 when the water-cooled motors came out, the engine sound changed. Still though I had the attitude that they were nice to look at, but wouldn't own one.
Fast forward to about a year ago. Started looking for a play toy car. One thing it needed was back seats(young kids). Was split between getting a e46 m3 or a 911. I drove an m3 smg loved it, fun car. I then drove a 996 c4s. I admit I didn't have high hopes that I was going to like the car, but I wanted to try one on for size. To my surprise I loved the way the car drove, even thought it was 6sp.(I'm rather drive an auto) Even after a few short months of ownership I find myself researching my next Porsche.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
I beat more than 1000 people + 30 pro racedrivers in gocarts to take winner's honors in the Eurosport Super Racing Weekend Challenge (I won the challenge, but did not beat the final pros, MB Works driver P Dumbreck - well know for flying at Le Mans - and a national race karting championship runner-up).

This achievement got me invited by one of the pros at this event, to test for a raceseat in a 964RS (I got the seat). I raced for 4 seasons until I actually drove a street Porsche for the first time!

I was incredibly impressed with how good the street versions were in comparison to the Porsche racecars, which was the only P-cars I had driven at that point. That's what got me hooked.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I started doing DE's in a series of Mitsubishi products (Stealth, 3000GT, Eclipses...) and while I was trying to figure out how to make my brakes hold up, and a ton of other issues with those cars, I noticed everybody around me in a 911 driving up, taking the junk out of their cars, sometimes swapping pads and sometimes not, then loading up the car and going home. Finally figured it out in 1997 with the '87 shown below. Swapped that after 9 years for the TT.

Jon

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
Like most it started for me a kid, I had the classic decisions, decisions, decisions poster with the 959, ferrari F40, and Jaguar XJ220 concept car. I wanted a Porsche from that point forward. Now the stupidest thing I did was buying a new C5 corvette after college fully loaded for 55k or so when I could have picked up used 993 turbo for not much more....needless to say I made the wrong choice as far as collectibility and resale value go. 10 years later I have a turbo in 996 trim.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
For me it was 1974, I was 7. We had moved a few years prior, and for my dad the drive was starting to bother him. He told my mom that he wanted to move closer to work, or buy a car he enjoyed driving so the travel wouldn't be so unbearable.

They decided a new car would be a better choice than a move, so my dad started contemplating a Pantera or a Porsche Carrera. He eventually decided on the Porsche and I became a lifelong Porsche fan at that moment.

He still owns the car today, as well as a track prepped 911SC, and an '87 Black on Black Turbo. Attached are few pics of the '74

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Bodybag...much respect to your family! Impressive!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Best friends dad growing up had an '81 911SC... from about 7-15 years of age he used to drive me to soccer practices school ect... I loved the way the rear bucket seats felt and thought the rear seatbelts were the coolest thing in the world the way they rolled up. After that my brother picked up a boxster which i loved then a 996 cab which was amazing

Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I never liked Porsche either at first. Too busy with american muscle making globs of cheap HP. That changed with all the smog laws and American cars when into the tank both quality and HP wise. I was looking for an alternative. When I first started working in the professional world, a buddy made a bet we'd both have Porsches by the time we hit 25, The year i turned 25, I got a good bonus check. To make sure I didn't loose the bet I bought a slighty used 78SC all cash. He bought one a month later. There's been no turning back. Everytime either of us ups the bet and buys another one, the other quickly follows. Until I bought the 996TT and he got married instead (new house new baby etc etc). This may be my last one. The car is way better than I am and I'm having too fun modding it.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 02-04-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
GoingFast is infamous around these parts
When I was 9, I got to drive...I meant driven in a 928 GTS with Techart widebody kit. I could be wrong about the body kit, but it doesn't look like any 928 GTS I knew. Porsche for Life at 9!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
my wife wanted a new typewriter... no thats the truth. we went to cosco in rancho cordova ca . just down the road was a place called speciality cars. we took a peek in and there was my 1st turbo , a blk over tan 930 (76)
at the time we had 6 old corvettes and a 56 chev post hot rod (blower the whole deal)..here we are, looking at the car and i tell my wife how great lookin this 930 is but it's just to slow for me.a guy is standing next to me and sez SLOW!!! come on i've got one outside i'll take you for a ride.
i bought my 1st turbo the next day!!!! the blk 76

Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Never liked them...

...I owned Datsun 240/260/280Zs and those who know the history of that car, know the Datsun first gen Z was a direct competitor to most sportscars of the 1970-1980s. On roadcourses around this country the Datsun Z held its own. The porsche 911? No way...

In December 2004 a great friend of mine sent me an email about the car he had brought home from the dealership, but probably wouldn't keep... It was a 2005 Black GT3. On January 1st 2005 Jim showed up at my house at 10AM with a couple beers and a very black and sexy car. He tossed me the keys and a beer and said "lets go for a ride."

That drive, about an hour behind the wheel, was all it took. I told my wife that one day I would own a Porsche... Funny, I'd have not imagined that two years and 1.5 months later, I'd own a very good, and well modified example of one...

3 years later... I still have it...
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-04-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I was totally smoked by one

I 15 and bought a 68 camaro spent 2 years building it into a beast, had a friends dad that had a 930 turbo, I met up with him at a light and he left me in the dust and my car was a monster..... left the american muscle cars behind and went to porsches. My only regret was not getting a turbo, but I am looking for one now.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
It's the beautiful, timeless body line, the grunt of the engine and years of refinements which represent all that is best of the purebreds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What got you into Porsches?