996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What got you into Porsches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
This is me and my parents approx 32 years ago. I went home from the hospital in their previous (white 71 911T) when I was born. It was pretty much downhill from there.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
seems like many had childhood stories, so we have something in common.

I got my first ride in a Porsche when I was 13. it was a brand new 930 that a neighbor owned. He also owned a Ferrari 512bb and a Lambo miura. But his favorite was the 930. One ride with the wild acceleration and I was hooked.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
It was actually just a natural progression for me.. I read back in 1999 a magazine called Import Tuner and they had a TURBO Civic SI with a DRAG kit on it making maybe 225whp. So I had to buy a SI and as soon as I could afford the DRAG turbo kit I used every penny on it....

Then that was slow, so I build a 650whp civic, then that had no traction...

Skip a some years and a bunch of other cars I built and then finally I end up with a a Supra at 850whp.

Then it became unstreetable to drive a loud no traction tire spinning Supra so I moved on to a 996TT that has to be the nicest and safest car I've ever driven. Bigger turbos this weekend on the 996TT so I'm hoping I like the new upgrade.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Ryboy996GT700 is infamous around these partsRyboy996GT700 is infamous around these parts
Wow, reading all these stories and posts really makes me feel warm inside! I do remember there was one 928 running around our county back when I was like 7-8ish and I loved the shape, I just wouldn't admit it because of that kid. haha!

My dad also owned 2 280ZX turbo 2+2's '80 and '81, that was considered exotic where we live back then. Then he moved to Merc. SL. I always tried to get him to try Porsche. I RECENTLY found out why he did not, like weeks ago. The reason he did not was because one of the other doctors had a 911 and had the service done by some place other than Porsche to save a buck... He had to keep going back for problem after problem (classic rip-off mechanic) and ended up spending thousands and thousands of dollars on "repair" after repair. Dad was turned off with the thought, but he also didn't find out that it wasn't at the Porsche dealer until much later, once he was past his "sport car days".

I pulled up in his drive with mine and took him for a ride, he said "boy, I should have bought one of these back then! That damn Bob!" (his friend)

Now a days I'll often leave my car for him to run around in for a few days.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 AM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Like several others, I too grew up riding around in the back seat of my dad's Porsche. He owned a Ossi Blue on black '69 911T from new to '92.

I have many good memories in that car. I learned to drive manual in it ... and accidentally backed it into a wall while learning coordination of the gas and clutch while on a slope. My dad even would let me take it out after I got my license.

From the time I could comprehend that my dad's Porsche was no mere car, I was hooked.

Now I am looking for one of my own!

Andy

Last edited by coastalb55; 02-05-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Ryboy996GT700 is infamous around these partsRyboy996GT700 is infamous around these parts
So, no one was influenced by Risky Business? I was sure to hear that one.... I was already a fan by then.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM
adeeois is infamous around these parts
Went to lunch in 1979 with a friend who had a 924. I was a straight line racer who grew up in the muscle car era. Porsche had a completely different perspective on how a performance car should be. 8 porsche's over 30 years later I'm still hooked!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I saw how cool Paulie Walnuts looked in his..
(of course the $1000 outfit that he is always sporting, helps too)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
In actuality, I rode in a my college roomates, (Father's) RUF 930 Turbo (Factory Ruf,
from Germany with air cooled, single turbo and RUF 5 speed) and that was it. I knew
at some point I would have a fast Turbo Porsche. I will eventually own all generations of 911 Turbo: I have owned;

965 Turbo
993 Turbo
996 Turbo
(and other naturally apirated 911's, and a Cayenne S)
I do not like the 924/944/968, I dont car how well they handle,
they look like a**

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 02-07-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling (knew)
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I see like most I got poisoned at at early age of 5 and being born in Europe I seen many and they always got my attention. I not only had posters but would also cut out the pictures in glue them in my notebooks Then a friends dad had a 930 and wow I made a promise to myself to get one by 30 years of age. Fast forward to 2 years ago and I was shafted by a business partner and 20k+ in debt. Long story short met an amazing woman found an awesome job and got a 911TT for my 30th birthday. I love everyday of it and neglecting the neighbor who says I should have bought a fence instead nevermind the fact that after a survey of my property he is all over it Love my Porsche

Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Ray C. is infamous around these parts
It started with several vettes since the 70s until grandchildren required backseats in early 2003. I began with a 1999 C2 6sp that I fell in love with instantly, and soon after I had to yield to the irresistible pull of the TT. Only minor regret is not having tried one earlier in life.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
GT640 is infamous around these parts
so many P's I've loved

the first was a 1976 grey market Carrera that my brother had found shopping for a 924. He would pull over on the shoulder northbound interstate 95 and then just punch it. The next year the 959 was announced and it became "wallpaper" in my bedroom.

I never duplicated that emotion until I rode in my buddy's 996tt with just exhaust mods. I was driving an 03 Carrera Cabriolet at the time that my wife surprised me with for Christmas (I know, I know)... Traded it in to a dealer for my 959 (01' GT640) She's still my wife.

The best complement I've gotten on her? I live in Los Angeles where city buses make the economy flow. At a red light, a seasoned express bus driver was hanging out of the window photographing us. Now that's a guy who has seen a lot of gorgeous cars.

sigh.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
mcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud of
FOR ME WAS GOING FOR A RIDE ON A 930 AND A 911 COLOR SKY BLUE THAT A FRIENDS OF MINE HAD IN THE 1980...hAVE NOT SEN THESE GUYS IN A LONG TIME TONY MARTIN AND DAVE HAD THE BLACK 930 IN west new york new jersey. TOOK THE 911 FOR A RIDE WHEN I TURNED 17 AND WENT FOR THE RIDE OF MY LIFE ON A 930. I ALWAYS SAID I WILL GET ONE ONE DAY!!! IT FINALLY CAME THROUGH AFTER BY BUSINESS LET ME HAVE IT!!! I WANTED A 996 tt IN YELLOW BUT SEEN A WHITE X50 tonyNJ WAS SELLING AND COULD NOT PASS THE OFFER.

JOE RODRIGUEZ

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Honestly, I just woke up one morning and decided I wanted one. I am a Turbo type of chap and love the hidden power potential presented with any sporty Turbo. So my next sports car had to be a Turbo of some sort.

Having owned a few in my time, when I was yonger, and now that I am in my later years, I was looking for a more utilitarian vehicle that spent less time falling apart and in my shop up on all fours, than being drivable.

A NA Ferrari or 2 put me off those as an option this time round. The Lambo was just to damn tempremental, a good friend of mine was a Lambo dealer and shared his REAL opinion on them. Although N/A OOB, the base Lambo I was looking at at the time was upgradable to a TT (Diablo VTTT) fairly easily. After a plethera of Lotus' (Lost Count) I needed a change, so I went to a Audi S4 TT, while this was very reliable the car just was not a sports car.

I simply cannot remove gearboxes and Engines as I used to be able to, and really do not want to do it any more. I love the tuning aspect of the Porsche TT, but wanted a seasoned model. Hence the 2005 turbo "S" was the natural choice. After a year (at least) of looking for my perfect car, I found the "one". So far she has proven me correct in every way, it appears quite bullet proof, at least so far. To say I look after her well is an understatement, this car is more pampered than any woman my life is, or ever has been. She likes here fuel but otherwise very fun to drive, reliable on the whole, and VERY VERY Fast. Certainly IMHO, when I turn her on, She shure does turn me on in return.

I am sure she will get replaced one day, I like the 2011 Turbo S, but I need to wait a few years before it reaches my acceptable sleep at night price range. Hopefully by then I can still be turned on a little.

SWR

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
langer911 is infamous around these parts
I always love Porsche, but never a 911 until a Dr. friend let me drive his. Now this my second 911

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What got you into Porsches?