996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What got you into Porsches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Ryboy996GT700 is infamous around these partsRyboy996GT700 is infamous around these parts
What got you into Porsches?

Needless to say that everyone here is a Porsche lover! But what made you become a Porsche lover? I remember when I was oh, probably about 13 my brothers best friend got a brand new camaro IROC-Z and I thought that was the fastest thing. I remember looking in the Road & Track or Motor trend and reading about the RUF twin turbo that just blew the IROC away on paper. After that I always tried to imagine what it would be like to ride in something like that. I guess that was the start of my P-car infatuation....

Funny though there when we were younger there was this one kid that was the biggest...blank hole, and his dad had a 944 turbo and he would always go on and on about how it was better than my Dad's Merc SL and blah blah blah...at that point in time I really HATED Porsche! LOL

So what sparked your interest?

Ry

Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I've always had a fascination with them since I was a little boy. I'd always read about them, and it was clear that 911's (in particular) were something very special. I used to wonder how they could be compared to Ferrari's, etc. since they didn't look quite so exotic to me, but after I drove my first 1977 911S Targa (owned by a family friend) in college I totally understood. I couldn't believe that a car could offer so much in the way of driver feedback and purity of purpose...it was a revelation!!!

Later in college I worked as a valet and was able to drive a variety of Porsches, but always continued to fixate on the 911 model as the others didn't really do it for me. I turned to Japanese performance cars after graduating (due to the price/performance for my budget) and stuck with them for about 12 years. I finally had the budget to consider my own Porsche, and I knew that nothing but a 996TT or GT3 would do. I chose the 996TT obviously, and have been even more impressed with the car than I expected to. I'm coming up on my one year ownership anniversary and it's been a terrific year indeed!

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 02-04-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I was prolly 5 or 6 yrs old and I remember seeing a brand new 356 coupe that just blew my mind. I knew that when I got older, I just had to have a P-car...

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Grew up in the back seat of several 356's ... dad worked on all his cars, even had a 356 Carrera at one point. Used to drive from TX to Canada in that little back seat ... now that he is 70, he drives a heavily modded '64 cabriolet 356.

Last edited by Supercollider; 02-04-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
It was my ex-girlfriends dad and this website that pretty much did it for me.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
No Name is infamous around these partsNo Name is infamous around these parts
I remember seeing many of the classic race cars (956, 964, 935, etc.) as a kid and being blown away. As I grew up, I always loved the classic look of the air cooled 911 turbo (930), still do. The classic 930 is still one of my favorite P-cars of all time, it's just timeless IMO. While I appreciate the technological merits and advancements of the newer liquid cars, they just don't have the personality that IMO was lost after the 993. I really like the 996 and even more so the 997, but I do miss the old car.

I still have a couple of wide body air cooled 911's (a modded slant nose and a cab). They aren't as fast as the newer cars by any means, but still a lot of fun to drive and something special to look at.

Last edited by No Name; 02-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Aboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the roughAboy.GT2 is a jewel in the rough
It all started when I was a teenager and the first Turbo hit the states in the late '70's. I remember always passing an exotic car dealer that had one in the showroom. The wide rear end and infamous whale tail did it for me (I've always been an *** man). Seeing that car sitting there I would imagine someday being able to drive one.

So after a 944 Turbo and a 928, I now have the turbo I've always wanted.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bmoores
It was my ex-girlfriends dad and this website that pretty much did it for me.
Funny..in high school (20 yrs ago) my girlfriends dad had a 944 Turbo. He finally let me drive it when the lease was due and he needed to get it back to the dealer. My palms were sweaty and my hands shook. I never had driven anything like it. With my first real paycheck I got my own 944 Turbo....every 2 yrs or so i try something different, but always end up back in a Porsche.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I've wanted one since I was a kid, and when I got one I told myself it would stay stock... Look at where I am today! What really did sell me even more is my dad had an 03 N/A 911 and it was such a blast to drive since it handled so good, so I figured the Turbo would be even more fun!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
After graduating college, my former college roommate called me to suggest that we should both get 911's (he lived nearby). He went on to say his cousin had one and it was the greatest sports car. We both bought older ones and restored them. Here is a picture of my 1st 911 - a 1972 911T. I have had six 911's since then.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 02-11-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
When I was in the 2nd grade my older sister ( 5 years older ) had a friend named Porsche. ( I am not sure how it was spelled but it sounded the same ). I had the biggest crush on her a 2nd grader could have. Not long after her I saw my 1st 911. When I found out the girl I was in love w/ had the same name as a sports car… well it was a love that never left.
I can’t tell you what happen to the girl. I can tell you my love for the Porsche 911 only grew. From the 1987 Red, Whale Tail, Turbo poster that stretched 5+ feet across my wall as a teenager to the cartoon movie “ Cars “ my love only got stronger.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
I'm a very late aficionado to Porsche. Always been a BMW guy, and never really took Porsche seriously. All that rear engine nonsense was a big turn off and too weird for me. My dream cars always had an ///M associated with them. Then one day, I was at my buddy's BMW shop getting a short shifter installed in my M Coupe, and this guy pulls in with a speed yellow GT2. He needed his rear tires changed out and my buddy had a tire machine that could handle 12 inch wide rims. After the new tires were installed, we went for a test drive. I HAD NEVER ACCELERATED THAT FAST IN MY LIFE! At that moment I saw my M fascination crumble before my eyes. I promised myself that as soon as I could find one I liked, I would own a GT2. The rest is history. (Sold my M Coupe too!)

Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
My Dad and I were driving down a Scottish country road and heard this noise coming up fast behind us.. a blue and white car FLEW by us making outrageous sounds; it was a 2.7 Carrera RS lightweight with the ducktail spoiler.. Instant Porsche addict...

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I was about 10 when I got my first ride in a Porsche, a 930 turbo. I was hooked. That is all.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmoores
and this website that pretty much did it for me.

For me 2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What got you into Porsches?