996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
DIY Battery replacement

I need a new battery. My mechanic charges $80 o install and run a "diagnostic."

Can I just install the battery myself?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sean if my neck wasn't in the process of going to hell again I'd come over and do it. It's really simple, because I've done it before on mine. I think it took 10min or less. Loosen the terminals, then unbolt the battery tray bolt and lift up. There maybe a tube connected to the battery, just disconnect it and prepare to hook it back up to the other one. When you put the other one in, make sure it goes back in the same place and put the tray bolt back in and hook up the terminals and you are good to go.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
You need a new mechanic.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Thanks Chris.

So, no problem with any of the electronics? I read that a way around that issue is to leave the car on a battery tender while doing the swap.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
When I did mine, my battery completely dead and wouldn't hold a charge. So I didn't even bother with it. You can hook up a battery tender possibly to it and you will not have to worry about having the car relearn everything. But like I said it didn't do anything to mine that I noticed.

What brand of battery did you get? If it is a Optima battery you need a special mount.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Going to get an Interstate, although the top of the line batteries at Walmart are supposedly just as good.

I just wonder if it will fit. Going to pick up the Walmart battery tonight, if it doesn't fit I will return it and go to my mechanic tomorrow. $80 for the install is cheap, but he charges wholesale ($120) for the battery.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Going to get an Interstate, although the top of the line batteries at Walmart are supposedly just as good.

I just wonder if it will fit. Going to pick up the Walmart battery tonight, if it doesn't fit I will return it and go to my mechanic tomorrow. $80 for the install is cheap, but he charges wholesale ($120) for the battery.

Yeah, let us know what you get and how the fitment and install goes.

I've got an 03' and it's got the original battery and it's starting to go and will need replacing soon.

I've also heard that the interstate model is the best.

Looks like model Interstate MTP-91 is what you'll need. Also, about 10 lbs lighter than OEM battery.

Where are you buying from?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
Interstate will fit just fine. I have one in my car (model #mpt91). Piece of cake to install 10 min or less. Interstates have vent tube that you reconnect as well (at least this one does). No tender needed but you will have to reprogram your radio / code if you don't keep some level of charge. I have never worried about the reprogramming process and just swapped them out. $80 to change sure seems high since no mechanic on earth should charge more then 1/2 hr to install.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
HTML Code:
I just wonder if it will fit.
You might use a tape measure to record the dimensions of available space for your new battery; height is important too.

Check the nut size of the battery terminal bolts, if you don't have the correct size wrench, buy one.

Don't hammer on the battery terminals to get them back on your new battery. Clean the terminals, outside of posts, inside of cables, before reattaching. They should be the bright metal color of newly exposed lead.

Don't wear good clothes and don't touch either battery to the inside of your trunk or your clothes.

You might want to attach you battery tender or charger to the terminals, and keep them attached during the R&R.

Any tool that you have to buy, you get to use again. No money is ever wasted on purchasing tools.

The next time you do it will take 10 minutes.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, MTP 91 is the one that fits. I called around and everyone's prices were at least $20 more than my mechanic.

I am tempted to just go buy the battery from him and then drop it in myself in the parking lot of his shop

Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Yes, MTP 91 is the one that fits. I called around and everyone's prices were at least $20 more than my mechanic.

I am tempted to just go buy the battery from him and then drop it in myself in the parking lot of his shop
I'm not sure that I'd ever pay someone else to do something as simple as a battery install. Especially not when they're trying to charge $80.

It'll take all of 10 minutes.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Do it yourself Sean
Seriously, you'll do fine

Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Take it to walmart, they'll change it for free and their top of the line battery series is very good and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by PeterK
Take it to walmart, they'll change it for free and their top of the line battery series is very good and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Yes, but their techs wear metal (keys etc.) and lean against the car.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, but their techs wear metal (keys etc.) and lean against the car.

I would never let a Walmart tech work on my Porsche.

The Jeep...maybe.

There are too many other choices for the same service where I wouldn't worry about the quality of service or the keys on the paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Battery replacement