996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clutch accumalator went bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 PM
blue911tt is infamous around these parts
clutch accumalator went bad

my clutch accumalator went out. I have aftermarket warranty. If i bring it to the dealership will they just replace the accumalator or the slave cylinder too.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Hard to say...if it were mine though I sure would press them about doing the slave while they were in there!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Had a similar issue...after market warranty may not cover clutch parts...they wouldnt cover mine. Unless I throw a rod, or my tranny falls off,they dont seem to cover much of anything that commonly goes wrong.
Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
God I hate that part.
It's flawed, and it is a pain to change.
Sorry for your problem.
Depends on the language of your warranty, but in my mind, it should be covered as it is not the lining or PP.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
SF911TT is infamous around these parts
I'd say both. My accumulator went out and then 9 mos late the slave cylinder went bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Are they common to go bad? I'm hoping a previous owner had it done already. '02 45K.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
It's very common for them to go bad, doesn't matter how many miles. When they wanna go...they go. TRY to have them do slave AND accumulator. If they do one, they will be doing the other soon...they should know this. The clutch runs off the power steering pump, sharing the Pentosin. That's why MOST here eventually go to the GT2 style setup.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
I'm having mine done tomorrow...my indie shop called my warranty company (GWS) for pre-approval and they gave the go-ahead . I'll have to ask the mechanic to see if they'll cover the slave too...

BTW, what is the GT2 style set-up, and what are the advantages?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
GoingFast is infamous around these parts
WOw, you are lucky that your aftermarket warranty covered it. Mine has a clause in there that stated this fact! I have to replace the whole thing since I burnt my clutch pretty good!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 all the way. The power assist makes the engagement point feel numb. All turbos should have been left w/o the failing accumulator and started its life with the GT2 setup. If your accumulator went out consider yourself lucky and upgrade to the GT2 Slave.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
+1 on the GT2 Slave delete. Much better feel and ability to modulate the clutch engagement. I really don't understand what Porsche was thinking by putting such a lousy system in the stock 996tt. It's such a great DD otherwise.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
as others have said - ditch the accumulator and go with the GT2 hydraulic conversion and don't look back.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 PM
ait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant future
+1 GT2 mod - I went with the GT2 mod when my accumulator went out with about 28K miles on the car.

Another side benefit seems to be that the occasional whine from the power steering reservoir seems to have gone away (for those that don't know there is a TSB on this that requires a new reservoir tank.) If this is indeed a permanent fix, the money saved on the eventual tank replacement goes a long way towards the GT2 hydraulic conversion.

Ed

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
What are the symptoms of a slave going out? I know the accumulator was done on my car by the PO, but the slave was not.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
I'm having mine done tomorrow...my indie shop called my warranty company (GWS) for pre-approval and they gave the go-ahead . I'll have to ask the mechanic to see if they'll cover the slave too...

BTW, what is the GT2 style set-up, and what are the advantages?
Never mind now...just got off the phone with my shop and they said the warranty person he spoke with today now says they will NOT cover the part I'm regretting more and more getting this warranty...I partially hope for a major failure just so I can justify the expense I paid But not really, I guess it's kind of like life insurance or major disability...you have the peace of mind knowing it's there, but hope to God you never need to use it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clutch accumalator went bad