996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Crap - I just got the flashing check engine light...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charleedog
Perhaps... it may be a timing issue but it's strange that one cylinder is isolated.

This seems more like a problem with the valve or lifter itself.

I was also really hoping this would be more along the lines of an electrical or sensor issue... but I don't think I'm in luck this time.

Makes me wonder if I should look at extended warranty options. Not entirely sure how that works for a California car with 58,000 Km's that's been imported to Canada.

-Chris
I think it's worth a check (if you haven't already) before you give someone the thumbs up to strip the engine out of your car...GL

Old 02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
charleedog is infamous around these parts
Definitely, I agree.

I actually just sent my mechanic the link to this thread so he can consider these suggestions.

The last thing I want to be into is a teardown.

-Chris

Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 AM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Still getting misfire code on Cyl 2.
1) The cat on the left side of the car (the one that's connected to cyl2) gets WAY hotter than the other one, which suggests a sticky valve.
When misfire, Cat will try to clean it. So it is way hotter. I once saw Cat turn red/burnt surrounding and nearly made car catch on fire due to severe misfire. Be careful.
2) Flames literally shoot out the left exhaust pipe when revved
Unburn gas from misfire combust in exhaust.
3) Only acts up when the engine passes 3K RPM or so.
If that rpm near switching point of VarioCams, you might have to look if VarioCams work properly.

BTW: also check compression on 2# compare to others.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charleedog
UPDATE:
--------

Had it in to the shop first thing this AM.

As we suspected, misfire code... but that's the least of the problems.

Turns out my sport headers on both sides were cracked at the weld joint. Having them repaired at a machine shop for now. The loss in boost may have caused a difference in pressure between the cylinders, which could account for a blown coil/plug.

My mechanic thinks the issue is from a possible bottom-out on the rear end, since he discovered the rear exhaust pipe (tip, right side) was about 1/2" higher than the left one.

I'm always very careful to baby the car when entering/leaving ramps and so on, but perhaps I may have even slightly nicked it recently...

Regardless, looks like this one's gonna run up the money tree.

Might as well have had the turbos implode.

I'll let you know what the actual damage is once this is all sorted out.

Thanks for all the help... this forum is awesome.

Cheers,

-Chris

Before you take anything apart, try resetting variocams in durametric or similar tool. It worked for me.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM
charleedog is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MBailey
Before you take anything apart, try resetting variocams in durametric or similar tool. It worked for me.
Will definitely try that.

We're gonna do a series of tests and exhaust every possible option we can think of before anyone starts turning wrenches...

Thanks guys

-Chris

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by MBailey
As mentioned above flashing CEL frequently means misfires in one or more cylinders. Most common cause is plugs or coils. Also can be MAF. I had this problem with additional misfire codes in cyl 4,5, and 6. Turned out variocam needed reseting. I did that with Durametric and have had no more trouble. Its most likely coils in your case. I would not worry to much about it at this point...

How did you reset the Variocam with your Durametric? I'm having the same problem with a flashing CEL at full boost (I changed my coil packs and spark plugs last weekend). The code that comes up is P0300 - Fault code 507 - misfire detection.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
The last time I got the CEL blinking light of death, it was a vacuum leak. You may have popped a hose of somewhere, take a quick look around and underneath, might be obvious. Check turob hoses, DV's and all vacuum hoses you can see. I popped one off right to the left of the throttle body. Had to take intake and throttle body off the put it back on and ziptie it.
This would be the first thing I would check.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
Whatever happened here?

I think I may also be having VarioCam issues.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
What are your symptoms?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
Dealership says my cam's aren't actuating/lifting correctly on bank 1? I had a flashing CEL. I brought it to them AUG 1st, and it's now Sept 22nd. They took the engine out, and apart, not sure they know what the issue is. Car has been at the dealership for almost 2 months now. Hoping warranty covers the issue. That's more important than a quick fix.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
Update?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Car was at the dealership for exactly 60 days. Problem was traced back to a metal strap on top of the cam cover that holds a solenoid in place that was loose. Strap was broken/missing, causing the solenoid to be loose. Tech said he had never seen anything like it in 30 years of Porsche service. 55 hours of labor including engine removal to resolve. All except $450 for spark plugs and some other minor stuff was covered by my warranty. Car is minty fresh once again.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM
IloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura aboutIloveSpeed has a spectacular aura about
DOOOODE! That's crazy!

What warranty co are you with?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cybersam69
Car was at the dealership for exactly 60 days. Problem was traced back to a metal strap on top of the cam cover that holds a solenoid in place that was loose. Strap was broken/missing, causing the solenoid to be loose. Tech said he had never seen anything like it in 30 years of Porsche service. 55 hours of labor including engine removal to resolve. All except $450 for spark plugs and some other minor stuff was covered by my warranty. Car is minty fresh once again.
30 years really? This is a common problem and it is advised to check that metal piece each time you change plugs... Should have not taken 60 days... Maybe a few hours...

Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You can change it during a plug change...hour and a half or so...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Crap - I just got the flashing check engine light...