996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Dreaded "Noisy Steel Syncors"...PURE BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The Dreaded "Noisy Steel Syncors"...PURE BS

So I had some of the syncros replaced with steel units... 3rd and 4th gear to be specific... Also went with less teeth on 5th gear...All of this is supposed to make for a very noisy transmission...

I drove my car home on Thursday night, about 60 miles from Richmond Va. to my home in Spotsylvania, Va. On the ride up the interstate I was playing around in 3rd/4th/5th/6th to see what the range would be. Playing with those ratios between 70 - 90 mph was something, I must confess... Car has a better match of gearing in the 2-6K range...

Also when I was in traffic at stoplights, with the clutch out and the car in Neutral, there was ZERO noise beyond what I was hearing from the LWFW rattle... ZERO. If you do a search on my name and Exhaust you'll see that I am VERY picky when it comes to sound entering the cabin... I have ZERO and I do mean ZERO complaints about the very minimal (if at all) added noise of the steel syncros... I'd recommend this upgrade when rebuilding a transmission without concern for the gearbox...

Mind you, My car has a BONE STOCK exhaust on it right now, and is very quiet in the cabin. I can hear pretty much everything clearly with the stock system...

Mike

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Thanks for the update Mike - this is indeed good news.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Mike,
Could you tell muvh power difference when you put your stock exhaust back on. I know the exhaust helps at our power levels but curiuos if the seat of the pants feel or spool time change with the more restrictive exhaust. I ask because if I sell my car, the exhaust will probably bring more by it self than adding to the sale price of the car. What did you notice?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I had sent my controller back to Kevin (UMW) so he could provide another program that would limit the power to 1.0Bar and compensate for the restrictions in the stock cats/mufflers.

I do have John's Xcellerator system sitting on the garage floor awaiting instal... Unfortunately I'm in the middle of the "storm of the past 100 years" in my area, and don't think I'll be installing it for atleast a week...Can't get to my shop/ lift right now...

Mike

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I used steel synchros on all the gears with my rebuild as well, completely forgot about the alleged synchro noise and havent given it another thought since. Was more interested in the LWFW chatter, which IMHO is a non issue. You might hear it at a drive thru or starting up in the garage but other than that, not an issue.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I use them from 2nd through to 6th... no need for 1st gear... 1st and 2nd is the dreaded pocket hurter anyway!... also run the 964RS Flywheel and trying out the new lightweight flywheel pulley, hope it's not going to be to light on the crank... Fingers Crossed!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Steve - let us know how it goes

Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
No probs mate

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Good man
BTW - Did you ever manage to get in touch with your mate regarding servicing?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 AM
So you DID convert your tip to a manual?

Well now... Good job...

Mike

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
I use them from 2nd through to 6th... no need for 1st gear... 1st and 2nd is the dreaded pocket hurter anyway!... also run the 964RS Flywheel and trying out the new lightweight flywheel pulley, hope it's not going to be to light on the crank... Fingers Crossed!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.