996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost goes up and car slows/dies? - What could this be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I had a faulty maf and a boost leak, so I guess from what people are saying it was the maf which caused my overboosting

Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
ant, I don't mean to argue with you, but a boost leak totally eliminates any possibility of overboost condition

Old 02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
A boost leak test will stop all these requests for a boost leak test too...

Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Don't worry, no offense taken
I am by no means an expert on these cars so any help you can offer is appreciated

I remember I had the following faults with my car all around the same time.....
DVs, MAF, Boost leak, overboosting

But what I cannot remember is what caused and solved what issue

Would I be right in saying MAF would effect driveability and overboosting
Whilst a boost leak would effect driveability and also reduce available boost?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Would I be right in saying MAF would effect driveability and overboosting
Whilst a boost leak would effect driveability and also reduce available boost?
I don't know enough to figure how MAF could effect overboosting, but a boost leak would indeed reduce available boost, I belive that is corect

Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Janker
Seems logical - but could a sizeable leak on the intake side that adminsters unregulated air (not past the MAF) mixed with additional fuel injected by the ECU to compensate for the lean condition cause an increase in boost?

Pressure test is worth a punt IMHO - just read the DIY thread and seems straightforward.
No sorry, increased fueling might excite the turbos a bit more but that wouldn't effect boost. If anything a leak on the intake side would create a LEAN condition as unmetered air made it into the turbos.

Seriously guys, you need a better handle on how the engine controls work, interact, and are reacted to. Additional air flowing around the MAF will result in a lean condition since the MAF never sees it. Boost leak is seen as a lack of boost which is compensated for by the turbos spinning harder to reach the target boost. Overspins the turbos, slow to boost, will run rich since the MAF saw the air and fueled for it. As target boost is reached the boost control solenoid allows the pressure lines to the W/G cans to see more boost - as the cans see boost they react and open the W/G allowing exhaust gas to pass AROUND the turbo and thus slow the turbo - this happens back and forth quickly so that the turbo maintains even boost. If an overboost is seen the boost solenoid opens fully - throws a code since it's out of duty cycle - and the e-throttle will close up the throttle to prevent engine damage. The closed throttle physically prevents air from getting past - results in a soggy throttle and motor that runs at WOT like it would at part throttle. I imagine the knock sensor might see knock at high pressures and retard timing or the ECU may retard at overboost to save the motor too - some of the tuners here could probably say.

Now, I am pretty sure that is correct or pretty close to correct. Most of this is from what I know from tuning on other cars and from what I've learned researching this one so I think it's close and ought to give SOME idea as to WTF happens. BAD MAF is one I'm not 100% sure about but unplugging it is a good troubleshoot and so is swapping which he's done. IMO it's overboosting and 4K is probbaly about the time his turbos are really spooling up so.....

Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 AM
+1 rep for that post!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
I agree - great post!

So in that case what causes the 1.0 bar stock boost I'm now seeing (can relate to the shut down to protect as it feels like a rev limiter when it kicks in) - but What I don't understand is WHY it happens in the first place?

Car is bone stock and has only started doing this in the last few weeks..Its really lazy to drive now.

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
No sorry, increased fueling might excite the turbos a bit more but that wouldn't effect boost. If anything a leak on the intake side would create a LEAN condition as unmetered air made it into the turbos.

Seriously guys, you need a better handle on how the engine controls work, interact, and are reacted to. Additional air flowing around the MAF will result in a lean condition since the MAF never sees it. Boost leak is seen as a lack of boost which is compensated for by the turbos spinning harder to reach the target boost. Overspins the turbos, slow to boost, will run rich since the MAF saw the air and fueled for it. As target boost is reached the boost control solenoid allows the pressure lines to the W/G cans to see more boost - as the cans see boost they react and open the W/G allowing exhaust gas to pass AROUND the turbo and thus slow the turbo - this happens back and forth quickly so that the turbo maintains even boost. If an overboost is seen the boost solenoid opens fully - throws a code since it's out of duty cycle - and the e-throttle will close up the throttle to prevent engine damage. The closed throttle physically prevents air from getting past - results in a soggy throttle and motor that runs at WOT like it would at part throttle. I imagine the knock sensor might see knock at high pressures and retard timing or the ECU may retard at overboost to save the motor too - some of the tuners here could probably say.

Now, I am pretty sure that is correct or pretty close to correct. Most of this is from what I know from tuning on other cars and from what I've learned researching this one so I think it's close and ought to give SOME idea as to WTF happens. BAD MAF is one I'm not 100% sure about but unplugging it is a good troubleshoot and so is swapping which he's done. IMO it's overboosting and 4K is probbaly about the time his turbos are really spooling up so.....

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok Jim
Not and endless list, but these are some of the things I think should be checked

Pressure test
MAF sensor
DVs
Boost control solenoid
Wastegates & vacuum hoses
Spark plugs
Coils

I'll add others if I think of any

Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok guys - Jim and I have just spent the last two hours trying to free one of his wastegates

The actuator itself is ok but the wastegate is seized solid

It's been blasted with a cans worth of WD40 but it's still stuck

Does anyone know where they usually seize (inside or out) and whether it can be free'd without having to remove the turbo?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
hehehe....

Originally Posted by BLKMGK

Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Damn... how long did the car sit?

You can try to drop the exhaust and inspect from there, although it's a bear to get in there in the first place.

justin

Originally Posted by ant_8u
Ok guys - Jim and I have just spent the last two hours trying to free one of his wastegates

The actuator itself is ok but the wastegate is seized solid

It's been blasted with a cans worth of WD40 but it's still stuck

Does anyone know where they usually seize (inside or out) and whether it can be free'd without having to remove the turbo?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Janker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really niceJanker is just really nice
Originally Posted by justinn
Damn... how long did the car sit?

You can try to drop the exhaust and inspect from there, although it's a bear to get in there in the first place.

justin
It didn't sit - its my daily drive... I'm obviously driving it like a ***** and not excising the wastegates enough hence why they've gone stiff

Carb cleaner and GT40 is coming out on Sat..