996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL Flash Loader: An Overview and Flashing Tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor
DaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really nice
EPL Flash Loader: An Overview and Flashing Tips

I’d like to take a few minutes to quickly go over our flashing software, to help provide tips and hopefully answer any questions anyone may have about our laptop-based Flash Loader software.

Each software install generates a specific key based on a number of hardware and software components. We use this key to activate the install on each laptop, as well as link specific laptops and flashes to ever customer. Once the simple activation process is complete, (the full process is covered in the PDF below) the option to flash a vehicle will become available.

Once you select “Start Flash”, a list of flashes available to you will appear. Files are made available to you remotely, so there is no need to download email attachments. If you require multiple flashes (in situations such as remote tuning), flashes become available in the software in real-time. At this point, be sure to have to key on the “Run” position, and the cable plugged into both the car and the laptop.

After you have selected your flash, the software will download it from our server. Next, you will be asked to select a flashing cable. Customers are normally supplied a flashing cable with their flash purchase, and in most instances, you will be selecting “Serial Interface”. The software automatically identifies which port the cable is plugged in to, so all you need to do is select the port with “USB serial port” next to it!

After a few moments the car will begin to flash!

Towards the end of the flash, you will be asked to cycle the key. Follow the on screen instructions in the prompt. The program will then verify what was written to the ECU, to ensure that everything was written properly and completely.

Once everything is verified and the flash is complete, you can select OK. Cycle the key once more and then start the car! Your car is now flashed!

Some important tips to follow to ensure a successful flash

-First, be sure your laptop is fully charged. If you are unsure the condition of the laptop battery, plug in the charger.

-Disable screensavers and turn off any power saving options. You do not want the laptop going to sleep during the flashing process.

-Close all programs running. While flashing, the computer should not be used for anything else. The only program running while flashing should be the EPL Flash Loader; nothing else!

-Do not keep the laptop on your lap! Many modern laptops have shock sensors that stop the hard drive during sudden movements to prevent data corruption. The hard drive stopping mid-flash will result in a failed flash. The laptop is safest on the passenger seat or the driver’s seat with you outside the car.

-Make sure you have an active internet connection. The Flash Loader will not work without one!

-The battery voltage of the car is extremely important. If you do not drive the car often, or have not driven it recently, you must hook up a battery charger. More is not better. A constant 12-amp battery charger will function significantly better than a “Jump-Start” charger. If you do not have a charger, jumper cables hooked up to running car will work just fine!

-When you key the car to the “Run” position (All dash lights on, car not running), be sure all accessories are off. The radio, climate control, and heated seats all draw power and should not be on.

-If you can, verify that your ECU has never been soldered or had any “trial flashes” installed. Occasionally, these types of ECUs may not flash. If you know this is the case with your car, contact EPL directly and they will walk you through the steps to get your ECU flashed.

The above is just a quick overview. The full PDF guide covering everything in detail from the software install process to flashing your car can be found here.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Good write up Dave!

My question though is can I use Skype while doing this??

Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor
DaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really niceDaveM@EPL is just really nice
Everyone's a comedian!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Do I have to have the cable connected to the car in order for the software to show the available program to download? I got the cable but the software still doesn't show a program available to me yet.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
Do I have to have the cable connected to the car in order for the software to show the available program to download? I got the cable but the software still doesn't show a program available to me yet.
Click about > Copy and paste the serial number in to an email to sales@eplabs.net . The rest is "magic" . (Read the word doc Dave emailed you with the link the software, the steps are all in there).

Drop me an email when the turbos are installed!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Seems long overdue for some. Nice write up guys.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
carnut996 is infamous around these parts
When are you guys planning on coming out w/ X50 Tip tune w/ TCU?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up Dave!

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Very cool. Looks like like some newer enhancements since I reflashed last a couple months ago.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I am not sure i understand this. Is it just a new/easier way to get a flash onto your car, or is it a way to have multiple flash files for a specific car? Lets say I wanted a valet mode with minimum boost and max of 2500 rpm, then a street mode for 93 octane, and a race mode for 100 octane. Would this make it possible? Also, if the flashes are stored on your server, what if I wanted to make a change and the server is down? No one can guarantee 100% uptime, right? Or am I totally lost??

Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carnut996
When are you guys planning on coming out w/ X50 Tip tune w/ TCU?
I'll be going up there in about two weeks (2/27) to do exactly that. Tony said that they're going to tune my car on the dyno so they will have a map for everyone with an X50 Tip. You owe me one. If the guys are OK with it, I'm going to bring my little FlipHD camera to try and take some video. The days can't go by fast enough.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I am not sure i understand this. Is it just a new/easier way to get a flash onto your car, or is it a way to have multiple flash files for a specific car? Lets say I wanted a valet mode with minimum boost and max of 2500 rpm, then a street mode for 93 octane, and a race mode for 100 octane. Would this make it possible? Also, if the flashes are stored on your server, what if I wanted to make a change and the server is down? No one can guarantee 100% uptime, right? Or am I totally lost??
Hi,

This system allows you to flash your car at home, rather then having to send your ecu in.

Currently version 2.0 allows you to switch from "Flashed" to "Stock".

Version 3.0 which is due out EARLY this spring will allow for multiple file switching (race, high boost, low boost, ect).

The server hosting we use has guaranteed server up time of 99.9% on 2 redundant servers. Basically, you have a better change of hitting the loto then not being able to flash.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Wow flashing couldn't be any easier than that! Nice write up Dave! Rep points for you sir!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Will you be able to read, clear, and reset the car codes from your laptop?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
Will you be able to read, clear, and reset the car codes from your laptop?
No. Can can provide a data logging program for to assist in the remote tuning of higher horse power cars, but at this time, there is no code reading available.