996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Alpha 28's vs Alpha 3071 or Tial 3071

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
18 g's with all the upgrades will smoke the 28's. Anyone with a GT2 should do the 24/18's period.
Is that what you are running, if so can you enlighten me w/your dyno numbers...what fuel you were running as well as how much boost?

I'm on the limb as far as sending my stock k24s to blouch for the 20gxt upgrade...just debating on what direction to go..but I plan to run e85 all the time.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Is that what you are running, if so can you enlighten me w/your dyno numbers...what fuel you were running as well as how much boost?

I'm on the limb as far as sending my stock k24s to blouch for the 20gxt upgrade...just debating on what direction to go..but I plan to run e85 all the time.
Do it. I had every intention of upgrading my 18g's to 20g's. I couldn't find enough positive feedback on the 20g's to make the leap, so I am staying with my 18g's, even though I am trying to sell my car anyway. I think that with 18g's and ALL supporting mods, you could get to 575-580hp and over 600whp with meth. Don't get hung up on dyno numbers...Peak numbers mean squat.....look for real world numbers, trap speed, 60-130 etc...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
Don't get hung up on dyno numbers...Peak numbers mean squat.....look for real world numbers, trap speed, 60-130 etc...

agreed ^ with all being said about this turbo that turbo after having mine for few years and what I mainly use the car for I would of done it differently, mainly tracking the car 3071's are not really the best option, If I had to do it again I would probably go K16 billets with all piping, meth, ic's yada yada yada and put the money into the suspension. If I was into highway pulls and mile runs maybe 3071's or even 3076's. I don't regret it in any way, with the EBC I still have a blast at the track, my 2cents...

Last edited by 2muchtime; 06-01-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
18 g's with all the upgrades will smoke the 28's. Anyone with a GT2 should do the 24/18's period.
I concur.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
I think that with 18g's and ALL supporting mods, you could get to 575-580hp and over 600whp with meth. Don't get hung up on dyno numbers...Peak numbers mean squat.....look for real world numbers, trap speed, 60-130 etc...
Originally Posted by vntperformance
...just debating on what direction to go..but I plan to run e85 all the time.
Given the bolded part above, the best indication of what vnt should consider is Chris Green (USP)'s car. Apparently, when running E85 and supporting mods, K24/18g turbos are enough for:

-700+ whp,
-low 10-second 1/4 miles @ 140+ trap speeds,
-bent OEM rods even with reputable tuning and good fuel.

What advantage would the 20g turbos have? (not rhetorical - I really am curious)

Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
What advantage would the 20g turbos have? (not rhetorical - I really am curious)
More Lag, more top end and apparently..bent rods...

Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Given the bolded part above, the best indication of what vnt should consider is Chris Green (USP)'s car. Apparently, when running E85 and supporting mods, K24/18g turbos are enough for:

-700+ whp,
-low 10-second 1/4 miles @ 140+ trap speeds,
-bent OEM rods even with reputable tuning and good fuel.

My setup will be similiar to Chris's...my goal is only 750rwhp w/low timing & a reliable tune. e85 all the time. Titan has done it & so has USP; and there utilizing the 18g non-billet wheel. Trap speed of 143-145 and i'm happy.......And in the future; i'll swap the rods out for either some Pauters or Carrillo.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
agreed ^ with all being said about this turbo that turbo after having mine for few years and what I mainly use the car for I would of done it differently, mainly tracking the car 3071's are not really the best option, If I had to do it again I would probably go K16 billets with all piping, meth, ic's yada yada yada and put the money into the suspension. If I was into highway pulls and mile runs maybe 3071's or even 3076's. I don't regret it in any way, with the EBC I still have a blast at the track, my 2cents...
Do you have alpha 3071? what is it about them that makes them less than ideal for tracking?

I'm learning a lot here, thanks for the info guys. It really is hard to find good info on what are the "best" turbos for a given purpose. I'm looking for the least lag, the best 60-130 and great driveability. Sounds like the a28 is a good contender. Anyone know the 60-130 times for cars with a3071? I've seen Keithta's car with a3076 (I think) and his 60-130 is insane but I think he mentioned that it has much less power than peak at rpms below 4k which doesn't really suit me and my driving style despite the wicked times.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
mike is correct these A28s are probably the best all around turbos for our cars. but IMO instead of trying to make so much power u should try to reduce weight (less stress on EVERYTHING). mike's car probably have better weight-power ratio better than alot of cars w/A3071 out there.
+1 mike

Originally Posted by MBailey
A28s have a boost threshold similar to K16s. Any K24 or GT30 is going to have more lag. In that VE thread it was shown that A28s ever hit earlier (and harder) than modded VTGs.
A28s are no slouch up top either provided they have adequate supporting mods. I ran 199.7 in the TX Mile which was faster than all the VTG and K24/18 based turbos that day. I even beat a few cars running GT30s. I believe the A28s have a higher peak flow than the 3071s but not the 3076s. A well sorted A28 car can be competative with most 20g and 3071s and with some GT3076 setups.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Yep...when it comes to performance, weight is your enemy. A fairly lightweight 18g car will give a 3071 car a run for the money.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Yep...when it comes to performance, weight is your enemy.
...and Taco Bell is your friend!

Seriously though, dropping 200 lbs with simple weight reduction is a substantial advantage.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by vrybad
...and Taco Bell is your friend!

Seriously though, dropping 200 lbs with simple weight reduction is a substantial advantage.

250lbs... and yep...just ran a 6.1 with about 2 less lbs of boost than before...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
250lbs... and yep...just ran a 6.1 with about 2 less lbs of boost than before...

Nice to hear!
You need traction, I guess?
Kind of cool out tonight.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by vrybad
Nice to hear!
You need traction, I guess?
Kind of cool out tonight.
Yeah...was 64 when I left the house...58 by the time I got to Mexico...I knew it wasn't gonna be good...

Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Yeah...was 64 when I left the house...58 by the time I got to Mexico...I knew it wasn't gonna be good...
Car running better since the mods?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alpha 28's vs Alpha 3071 or Tial 3071