996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

We're on the road to nowhere....come on inside.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Pmafia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dragonman4
I'm at 45k and about to do an oil change again (I change it every 3k miles). Last time I did it, I noticed a few (about 5 or so small metal pieces in the filter so this time I will double check. Hope it doesn't get worse!) I hope we are blessed with a car like yours. That's an amazing achievement. German engineering ftw.
Don't worry too much about the metal flakes. I have spoken to a very reputable 996 turbo engine builder that said he has never seen an oil filter without at least few small metal flakes. My guess is that whoever says they have a totally clean filter every time is just not looking hard enough, the flakes can be really small and hard to see.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pmafia
Don't worry too much about the metal flakes. I have spoken to a very reputable 996 turbo engine builder that said he has never seen an oil filter without at least few small metal flakes. My guess is that whoever says they have a totally clean filter every time is just not looking hard enough, the flakes can be really small and hard to see.
I hope so. I sprouted a few more gray hairs when I saw them lol. I couldn't really figure out why they started appearing as I baby the hell out of the thing. Almost always let it idle for at least 2 min before shutdown, even on small commutes where I don't even spool up the turbos, don't rev the nuts off of it though I will do a few near redline blasts when I drive. My only thought was that it was either a) came like this from the factory or b) I don't drive it often enough (I usually only take it out every other week, but sometimes it will sit in the garage for a month)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by t2_996420
Ari,

At ~173,000 the engine was out to trace down a wire harness issue (turned out to be a simple chaff that was an easy fix) - in any event I wanted the tranny pulled to inspect the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. We mic'd the clutch at that point and found it be 90% material left compared to a new factory - I think mine mic'd at 1.6mm and the factory new was 1.7mm - in either case it was within 0.1mm difference. We replaced the RMS, two bearings and put it back together - to me I wanted to see what a factory clutch could do over time. There were no stress cracks on the pressure plate or at the spring retainers in the clutch at that time.

FYI - dragging is not my gig - love hard launches but drag racing is just not for me - now a track with some uphills, downhills and some twisties...well that's another story. Also that clutch has seen bumper to bumper traffic 2+ hours a day for 3.5-4 years of it's life which can be equally hard on a clutch.
Maybe I am just lucky....maybe I'll just keep knocking on wood..
T2
Originally Posted by t2_996420
To all,
Update from this past Friday's commute home - 350,000 miles on the 2003 996 turbo.
T2
When I saw the 250k on the original clutch, and 90% material left after ~172k miles, I assumed it was mostly highway miles. I was surprised to see your post that it did 3.5-4 years as a traffic commuter. I don't care how good you are with a clutch in terms of starting without revving that's just a crazy amount of mileage! Your clutch must be from a batch with a lot harder material than normal!

Congrats on making it to the 350k. I'm only at 55k miles and would love to be at much higher mileage but I work from home so the car very rarely does any commutes and only gets maybe 5k miles a year. The first year I owned it when I was still commuting I put on over 20k miles in 9 months but since then it's had a couple of years with only maybe 3-4k miles on it which makes me cry thinking about how much it sits!

I can't wait to see when you hit the 500k mark!