996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone know how to ship an Airbag?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Anyone know how to ship an Airbag?

So I sold a wheel and airbag last week, and shipped it via UPS on Friday. Now UPS has returned it to me as hazardous materials.

How in the world can I ship this thing?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Call the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center 1-800-554-9964.

GL

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I did, they told me that I could not ship this with them. I would need to enroll in a federal hazmat training program and certify with UPS.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Maybe you could have your local garage or salvage yard ship it for you for a couple bucks. They must have shipped them before?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
langer911 is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem with FedEx.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Call a local UPS Store and the main UPS shipping facility near you, to find out if you bring it to one of them they can ship it for you.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Ichiban is infamous around these parts
I've shipped BMW airbags, bubble wrap and a box inside a box will do fine.
Not sure about Porsche airbags though.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Maybe don't tell them it's an airbag and wheel?

I know thats taking a chance, but if it gets it done??

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Maybe don't tell them it's an airbag and wheel?

I know thats taking a chance, but if it gets it done??
Word. Did they x-ray or open the box?? I shipped my Supra wheel and airbag years ago loose with a bumper.... no problems.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM
So just to update, I have called my local indi, and one dealership. No luck on shipping. Local UPS distribution center said no way as well.

At this point I wish I had just popped it in a box and shipped it, but now that I know the legal liabilities of shipping this type of item I can't do that. Look at that dude that mislabeled the O2 canisters and brought down a plane in FLA a few years back.

Is there anyone here in the manufacturing / medical industry that ships hazmat items that can give me a suggestion?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/opt...x.html?tsid=s4

Maybe this will help, airbags are listed so I would think they would ship it.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
Haz mat is a real pain in the butt.

You need to be haz mat certified, proper paperwork, correct packaging and the recipient must be Haz Mat certified as well. (We ship haz mat daily and it's still a pain in the rear)
You can take your chances and ship it regular ground but if there is an issue in transit or someone gets hurt or killed the shipper(you) is held responsible. DOT can and has levied heavy fines for mislabeled and improperly packaged Hazmat shipment.

That being said, airbags are an exception to some of the rules. I'm not sure what the regs are but a couple calls to an auto wrecker should get you all the info you need.

Good luck,

J.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Ichiban is infamous around these parts
Well if the airbag is an electronically activated you have no problem shipping it regularly. Just make sure its fully secure with LOADS of bubble wrap and packaged inside a box that just fits. Then you package that box in ANOTHER air packeted box.
Just declare its auto accessories, I had airbags shipped from Germany to Canada with no problem before.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
http://www.americanrecycler.com/07exnumber.html

In the past all explosives had a DOT issued EX number that needs to be on the shipping documents. It looks like this has been lifted on airbags.

There is a small amount of explosives in the airbag assembly and given the current interest in homeland security I would be cautious in your shipping choices.

I have used DGM(Dangerous goods Management) for Haz mat shipping and they ensure all the paperwork is correct.

Good luck with the shipment.