996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU Decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 11:39 AM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
ECU Decision

I am really looking for cheapest alternative to upsolute for some weird circumstances right now. Are there any better alternatives than the GIAC chip? Is Imagine Auto's chip any different from the GIAC chip? I need to send out chip today so please give advice. It seems like the price is just under $2k with everyone.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:55 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Re: ECU Decision

Originally posted by dlm477
I am really looking for cheapest alternative to upsolute for some weird circumstances right now. Are there any better alternatives than the GIAC chip? Is Imagine Auto's chip any different from the GIAC chip? I need to send out chip today so please give advice. It seems like the price is just under $2k with everyone.
A very trusted porsche tech. here in Dallas said there is a guy in Fort Worth doing very inexpensive ECU upgrades. He says he's never experienced a failure from a car that's had it. Only had good things to say about it.

I'd like to find more info on who this is if anyone here has more details.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
For stock K16 turbos, Upsolute program is a proven product, regardless of the pricing. For anything other than K16, you'll have to look to other vendors. I know you're having programs with Austria being closed... however, removing the ECU is literally a 2 minute job, and if you can wait, it really is the way to go.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
Any other suggestions would be great.

StephenTi, I was really considering just doing a GIAC or similar program for $2k now that the upsolute plant is closed; however, u are probably right and the upsolute should work fine. I guess a 2 week wait is worth $1500. But I am still not sure.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:43 PM
JC996TT is infamous around these parts
I have to throw my hat in for GIAC they have solid programming and the best rep around. I think that is worth it when you are talking about what a bad ECU could do to you $100k+ car... They will flash the ECU with no hard chip which makes it more dealer friendly and HP isn't all you get.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine Auto - GIAC
Imagine Auto

Old 12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by StephenTi
For stock K16 turbos, Upsolute program is a proven product, regardless of the pricing. For anything other than K16, you'll have to look to other vendors. I know you're having programs with Austria being closed... however, removing the ECU is literally a 2 minute job, and if you can wait, it really is the way to go.
Why is Austria closed? Did something change at Upsolute?

Old 12-25-2004, 08:53 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
Re: Re: ECU Decision

Originally posted by BartN (TX)
A very trusted porsche tech. here in Dallas said there is a guy in Fort Worth doing very inexpensive ECU upgrades. He says he's never experienced a failure from a car that's had it. Only had good things to say about it.

I'd like to find more info on who this is if anyone here has more details.

The guy in Fort Worth is the Upsolute rep for Dallas ....

Dario

Old 12-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Stradale is infamous around these parts
I would go upsolute. Hands down.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:18 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
No question about it, go with GIAC!!! Lots of time/experance on Bosch engine managment. Reflash allows for non invasive programming. Options include race/valet/pump/theft programs. The best part is you won't be stuck in the future if you go beyond K16's on you car. Check the achives for those who have had trouble when going with larger turbos on Upsolute software.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:13 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Talking FVD

Personally, I would reccomend FVDs product. 4 levels to fit your budget.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
Re: FVD

Originally posted by jayster
Personally, I would reccomend FVDs product. 4 levels to fit your budget.
FVD makes no power compared to Upsolute and GIAC. Lots of used ECU's for sale underline that point.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
I recommend EuroRev as a cost effective alternative. Jesse Diakis is very good at what he does, and custom tailors his programs to your car. Unless you have really serious mods, this is the route to go.

Of course, the other ECU guru is Protomotive. Probably the best Porsche ECU tuner in the country. Garrett Lim is a very good programmer, but he is not quite at the level of Todd Knighton. Todd lives and breathes Porsches, and that's it. He also has a comprehensive understanding of engine and fuel management in relation to mechanical components, as he and his wife are expert engine builders as well. Having the combined skillset is really irreplacable. One thing I like but people on this board hate is that Todd doesn't offer "Stage X" or "Level 1/2/3/4" marketing BS packages. Everything is done custom, the way it should be for serious tuning.

The one upside to GIAC is that their reps and the customer service they provide are superior! Flashloading is pretty cool too.

Last edited by Hamann7; 01-02-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:30 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Re: Re: FVD

Originally posted by BlackBear
FVD makes no power compared to Upsolute and GIAC. Lots of used ECU's for sale underline that point.
Actually for level 2 we make more power than both GIAC and Upsolute.

My car with GIAC level 2 and Fabspeed loud dynoed 449RWHP
Louis's (Friend) car with Upsolute and Fabspeed Quiet dynoed 456RWHP
My car with FVD level 2 and FVD Exhaust dynoed 468RWHP
Customer car with FVD level 2 and FVD Exhaust dynoed 470RWHP

These were all done on the same dyno and if you would like PM me for contact info of the dyno operator I would be happy to give it to you. He is not associated with FVD at all and I am sure you would trust him once you found out who it is

So please do not comment on things you don't know about. How many used are for sale has nothing to do with how much HP it makes. Please show me these "numerous" ECU's also... I see one in the Forsale section... Also have you seen the excelence article?? I believe that showed that FVD makes good RELIABLE STREETABLE HP.
Thanks,
Evan
PS-As I put in my other posts, this is not a post bashing GIAC, EVO/Imagine/PES/etc. are all great tuners and have great products I am merely straightening out an inaccurate comment.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Well done Evan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Decision