996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 Flash from EPL.. Thoughts and thanks to Tony.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
K24 Flash from EPL.. Thoughts and thanks to Tony.

Having got the suspension on my GT2 sorted out thoroughly, I turned my attention to the engine and how to get more power for my track days (like I really need it )

After researching for months in an OCD, compulsive way like I usually do, I settled on:

EPL flash by Tony
SpeedTech X-Cellerator 2.5" Exhaust
EVOMS Billet Diverter Valves
Dual Snorkle intake from Vivid
BMC Filter

The reasoning behind this is that I do not need 800 RWHP.. for the tracks I run like Laguna Seca, Sear Point/Infineon and Thunderhill.. I don't want to run slicks, so HAVE to run DOT tires (Hoosier R6's) and they cannot deal with too much HP, or you fry them and overpower them.

After having all the parts installed by SCARGO here in the SF Bay Area, I got the Car back on Friday.. Saturday, I called Tony and he put my first Tune up on his Server.. I hooked my Laptop up to the Car, launched his app and 10 minutes later had my first tune on the Car.. So easy and a simple interface to upload the tune to the Car.

First Tune was conservative (very sensible way to do it.. inch up on where you want to be).. I got 1.0 Bar in 4th through 6 with 1.1 Bar on an incline.. felt amazing.. Smoother than stock all the way through the rev range, smoother idle etc.

45 minute later, P.M'd Tony (this was Saturday 13th) and he and I discussed what I felt.. he had a new Tune ready for me less than 1 hour later.

The new Tune was even better.. 1.1 Bar now all the way from 2nd through 6th.. Second gear from 4500 rpm just melts the rear tires (315 Michelin PS2's) so I'm working on controlling wheelspin.. third, fourth, fifth and six are just mental.. the way the car keeps pulling is just astounding.. Again, I know that I am probably only at 530 RWHP and compared to the Big Boys out on the East Coast and in Florida and Texas, my Car is small potatoes, but still.. the Car is just magic now and I can feel the REAL potential of the K24's.. (DYNO TESTING TO COME IN THE NEXT WEEK OR TWO). Also, Tony made my throttle tip-in a bit more aggressive, which I liked...

Dave (Flash68) and I went for a little "cruise" on Sunday with Enrique (F1crazydriver).. On the way to meet Enrique, Dave and I hit a private road and ran a 70 mph to 165 mph test.. WOW!!!! the Car gets there in a serious hurry.. No timing or VBox figures, just a "seat of the pants" dyno tells me that this Car is now seriously quick.. It pulls like a Demon, all the way to my new 7,150 rpm limiter.

I cannot say enough about Tony.. Customer Service is too inadequate a phrase to describe what he does.. Complete dedication to my needs on a Saturday.. he was gracious and patient answering my questions and entirely helpful and cogent in explaining every technical issue and amazing in how transparent he was in telling me what he was changing in the next version of the three Tunes he did for me.

Count me as 100% satisfied with what Tony and EPL sold me and MASSIVELY impressed with his dedication to making me happy and making sure the Tune was perfect.

Also, the Speedtech exhaust from John is fantastic.. quiet enough to pass Laguna Seca's Draconian noise limits (I think... I will find out on March 4th and 5th at the next track day there), yet it still manages to sound GREAT and is a quality unit.

The Vivid intake may not be the prettiest piece of fiberglass in the World, but it fitted well and seems to do exactly what I wanted it to do, which is to look completely stock in a boring, flat black OEM kind of way, so I don't have an issue with passing visuals the next time I have to smog the Car in California and also to get as much fresh, cold air into the engine as I can.

Next step is to Dyno the Car and run it at a few more track days... THEN.. Billet 18G upgrade and that will be it for me.... Just waiting for AMS to get the results of their Billet 18G upgrade...

Did I mention that I FREAKING LOVE THESE CARS?

Last edited by 80shilling; 02-15-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Graham,

As one of the vendors mentioned, I am so pleased to hear your positive comments. There is always the fear that a customer will not be happy with their choice and it is always a comfort to hear back that they are very satisfied. Thanks so much for the confidence placed in us...I appreciate the business and the opportunity to work with you.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
formulab is infamous around these parts
Keep us posted, doing the same mods to my car in next couple weeks. using epl and blouch turbos. waitng for car to get out of body shop

enjoy

Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
been following your car through all the various modifications you have done...have had a pleasure reading and following along the way... look forward to what it puts down on the dyno and how it does at laguna...and of course if/when you go to billet 18g's

Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
When will the billet 18's be ready? And will there be any difference compared to the 24/18's that are out now? I have heard unless you run above 1.5 boost you really do not get any increased performance from the billet wheels.Does any one have some insight?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
When will the billet 18's be ready? And will there be any difference compared to the 24/18's that are out now? I have heard unless you run above 1.5 boost you really do not get any increased performance from the billet wheels.Does any one have some insight?
I am waiting for some definitive results from them that show that the billet stuff REALLY does work.. I will never run more than 1.3 Bar on race gas, so I, like you want to know what really is the benefit for customers like me.. If there is a marginal benefit, then I will just go standard 18G upgrade..

Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
thats generally what we've seen in the Supra community (same size billet wheels start to shine at the higher pressure ratios level (very generalized here)). Since the 996 has more displacement (among other things), you may see the benefits at lower pressures. Would love to see a 16/16g vs K16 billet shootout -I know Switzer has put down some strong 16g numbers as well, though they were less publicized.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
For "just" a stock k24 car (albeit GT2) with a flash, this car pulls extremely hard and felt great with the bad *** suspension that Graham had done. Thanks for letting me drive it. I think you ruined me even some more as now I find myself contemplating more suspension mods, and here I thought I was perfectly okay in that department!

I def wanna do Laguna with you guys soon...

Oh, and where are we dynoing in the next couple weeks? I want to join but am not sure where you are thinking... I was gonna go to Stasis but they relocated out of state.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
80Shilling - Looks like you used my recommendation for the Dual Snorkel Vent. I hope it worked out well, mine is ideal and provides more than enough air.

SWR

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Congrats 80Shilling. Tony and John are fast becoming the tag team duo superstars. Have you upgraded the wastegates? It's probably going to happen anyways if you go 18G, but I can assure you that it will tighten up your spool, midrange and top end in dramatic fashion.

Are you running pump gas in Cali? Unfortunately we are severely limited by that Cali 91 octane.

Flash 68, It looks like we have similar setups. How did his car compare to your 28RS turbos?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 02-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
From my understanding in the AMS threads the Billet 24's don't actually use anything similar to an 18g. They are simply K24 turbos with a billet wheel. Hopefully Frank or Martin can chime in.

Glad to hear you went with Tony. He is a great guy who I speak with weekly. He is extremely knowledgable and certainly an asset to this community. Look forward to hearing your track day impressions.

Be safe.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
80Shilling - Looks like you used my recommendation for the Dual Snorkel Vent. I hope it worked out well, mine is ideal and provides more than enough air.

SWR
Indeed I did.. In fact, I printed out your entire DIY instructions and gave them to the Tech that was doing the work.. He thought they were really good...

So far, I can't tell if it will make a difference or not, but more cool air is always a good thing..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by ari
Congrats 80Shilling. Tony and John are fast becoming the tag team duo superstars. Have you upgraded the wastegates? It's probably going to happen anyways if you go 18G, but I can assure you that it will tighten up your spool, midrange and top end in dramatic fashion.

Are you running pump gas in Cali? Unfortunately we are severely limited by that Cali 91 octane.

Flash 68, It looks like we have similar setups. How did his car compare to your 28RS turbos?
Yes... John plus Tony = easy upgrade, great Customer Service and fantastic results.

Yes.. 91 Octane Ca pump gas.. might as well be gnat's **** I think I'd be better off pouring bottles of cheap Polish Vodka into the tank..

When I do the 18G upgrade, I will definitely do the wastegate upgrade. If AMS doesn't come up with the goods on their K24 billet upgrade, then I'll just go the Blouch route.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Tony and John are stand up people to deal with.

Tony has dealt with me over a year and still doesn't hesitate to answer a question even if it seems repetitive to him!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Looking forward to the HD videos of your next Laguna outing! Congratulations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 Flash from EPL.. Thoughts and thanks to Tony.