996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
RoadSpike is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
1. In a properly installed AM system, there are no orings that actually contact fluid in an orifice that can restrict flow.
2. If the pump "stops", the flow meter would detect low flow. This would trigger the fail safe.
3. 150 AM systems sold by us... I have never seen and or heard of this. What have seen is nurmous shop (not EPL) that dont fully understand the failsafe "windows". One of two things happens.... 1. The shop gets frustrated and shuts the failsafe off (have seen this at least 5-6 times. 2. The shop doesnt understand the process of setting the windows and set them wrong.

To date, 100% of the problems we have seen with the aquamist systems have been install or set up error.
I find #3 item 1 the most disturbing really but likely what happens in the Evo community. I also get the feeling people aren't careful in their tank fuel selection probably leading up to containments and partially clogging the nozzle.

I really don't know for certain as I'm not one of those people that uses the system.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Thank you for clarifying, as it doesn't seem fair to throw a high quality product under the bus with no real evidence of these failures due to the kit itself. I have had my Aquamist kit on for over 4000 miles and have probably used 15-20 gallons of meth and my failsafes have worked flawlessly. Incidently, I installed my kit, Dave and Tony @ EPL inspected my install and tuned it.

Oh, and I didn't detect any disrespect to meth users, just the manufacturer of the kit.

Last edited by ttboost; 02-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Definitely no disrespect to the kit users I just don't personally like the idea

Edit:
After some more research on the forums for Tony I think I know why the failsafe isn't working for Aquamist systems at least installed by one company I won't mention. Seems they don't correctly account for the appropriate flow fail safes simply checking for power to the unit only lol. Since they are a major installer its really no surprise people are blowing up.

So in short I'm in total agreement with Tony that a properly working failsafe wont have trouble.

Last edited by RoadSpike; 02-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Definitely no disrespect to the kit users I just don't personally like the idea
In all fairness... Every e85 car I have seen has required FAR more sorting out then any properly installed meth car.

Sure, I would use e85 if I had access to it in CT, but I wouldn't expect the car to be as "turn key" as a properly set up meth car.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
In all fairness... Every e85 car I have seen has required FAR more sorting out then any properly installed meth car.

Sure, I would use e85 if I had access to it in CT, but I wouldn't expect the car to be as "turn key" as a properly set up meth car.
Definitely agreement here took me a lot of time to get the Evo to start properly in the cold with e85 and even idle nicely while the car is cold driving.

Put up some more info for you in my previous post I think you either be sad or laugh I'm hoping a laugh with some sadness that its happening.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Definitely agreement here took me a lot of time to get the Evo to start properly in the cold with e85 and even idle nicely while the car is cold driving.

Put up some more info for you in my previous post I think you either be sad or laugh I'm hoping a laugh with some sadness that its happening.

Im not sure talking about sorting out from the "tune" prospective, Im talking about replacing rubber and plastic pieces that are non e85 safe...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Im not sure talking about sorting out from the "tune" prospective, Im talking about replacing rubber and plastic pieces that are non e85 safe...
Oh does the Porsche have issues with e85? I haven't had any trouble with the evo fuel system and its basically stock minus an upgraded pump and injectors. E85 use has been around a year now.