996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
RoadSpike is infamous around these parts
Tuning Question

Not your average joe question here. Been looking around at tuning options for the 996 turbo, don't own yet just doing the needed background for the car .

Now I see many tuning companies out here with various amounts of money required, except epl cause their website is down. I was trying to find out if any of the tuning solutions available today allow for custom programming/tweaking sort of the same way ecuflash does for the mitsubishi's.

I'm getting the distinct feeling these cars are mostly plug and play not to be messed with later. Kinda sad from my standpoint I've really loved tuning up my own personal Evo, which currently runs e85 with an Fp Red bolt on turbo at 30psi on the stock everything, fuel upgraded of course.

Input appreciated

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
No Name is infamous around these partsNo Name is infamous around these parts
I'm going to give you a bump to the top as I am a little curious about the tuning details on these cars myself.

I see a lot of people mentioning paying for flashes (and crazy money at that!). Are these just "canned" tunes for basic mods? If so, what happens when you make some unique changes? Is there anyway to dial in the tune by editing the tables/maps for fine tuning for an individual application? If so, what software is used?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
There are "off the shelf" tunes you can buy and there are tuners you can build a relationship with, if you plan to mod in the future. Everyone here will recommend there favorite tuner, but most importantly, get a tuner that you trust and gives you what you want, not just what they have. Most tuners here in this board are great and if you can get yourself a custom tune. These cars are not like Supras, EVO's etc.. and the like. There are only a few people in the country that have FULL access to the DME to do full on programming. I am VERY happy with my custom EPL tune.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
There are "off the shelf" tunes you can buy and there are tuners you can build a relationship with, if you plan to mod in the future. Everyone here will recommend there favorite tuner, but most importantly, get a tuner that you trust and gives you what you want, not just what they have. Most tuners here in this board are great and if you can get yourself a custom tune. These cars are not like Supras, EVO's etc.. and the like. There are only a few people in the country that have FULL access to the DME to do full on programming. I am VERY happy with my custom EPL tune.
Okay, so you cant tap into the DME to edit the tune yourself then. What if one of the (few) tuners that can access the computer isn't local to you? How do you (they) get the car precisely tuned in this case? Can you even do data logging on your own car to send the info to the tuner? Or is this one of those cases where the car must be brought to a local tuner for data logging and tuning?

Thanks for the info...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by No Name
Okay, so you cant tap into the DME to edit the tune yourself then. What if one of the (few) tuners that can access the computer isn't local to you? How do you (they) get the car precisely tuned in this case? Can you even do data logging on your own car to send the info to the tuner? Or is this one of those cases where the car must be brought to a local tuner for data logging and tuning?

Thanks for the info...

Yes. You can either send your DME to the tuner or the tuner sends you a cable and you datalog and they send you files. (and EPL is right in CT, so it shouldn't be a problem for you when you are ready)

Last edited by ttboost; 02-16-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info. Good to know about EPL. I was more curious than anything about how tuning was done on these newer P's. At this point I think I'm going to stick with my older P-cars. Then again, getting smacked around by a newer TT might make me rethink that at some point!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
We do custom tuning via datalog as there is no end user stand alone available for the Bosch Motronic.
I had a evo 8 with 800hp running on a Autronic...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
What Mark said is true about end user tunable standalones. Although I do run a Standalone computer on my car it needs a HKS Pro Tuner to actually do the tuning. Which I am lucky enough to have one of the best tuners in the world living in my backyard (Austin) who not only tunes the thing, but also designed and wired it all in and got it work LOL!.

If you are in CT then EPL is where you should be. We went back and fourth with logs on my car and made 843rwhp SAFELY on a completely stock motor.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Good to know though slightly disappointing guys

I really have enjoyed tuning up my own Evo I was hoping to do the same with a Porsche.

800+ whp is extremely impressive with a stock motor Powell, seems I have much to learn here about the limits of a Porsche powertrain. I do see many cars here with the power numbers but there doesn't seem to be a movement to using e85 on these cars like there is in the import world.

Any reasons why people don't seem to be excited over e85? Maybe I'm just not finding the info here

Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Chris Green is a big E85 guy here on the forums. I do not have tons of access to it here by my house in Houston. I would rather just run MS109 because it is almost easier to come by here by my house.

As far as dabbling with the DME... It is not so easy, it is not as easy to use as the LS1/EVO/Mustang/etc. computer. The computer uses a set of Wideband, not Narrowband, o2s to control the a/f. It still does rely on knock like most standard computers, but it just has a wideband to help control some. From what I've been told there are over a 1000 different tables for fuel alone that have to be cyphered through. There isn't just a high/low octane table like you see on the LS1Edit software. This is just what I've been told though.

Good luck on your en-devour with the P-cars. It has been a very fun run for me so far and I do not regret what I've done so far.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Excellent I'll look up his posts for e85 info thank you

As you probably guessed e85 is super easy for me to come by here which is why I've loved the instant power boost.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
IMO, one of the biggest reasons E85 hasn't really taken off is availability. I know we can't even get it in CT. If it were available, I'd be running it in a heartbeat!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by No Name
IMO, one of the biggest reasons E85 hasn't really taken off is availability. I know we can't even get it in CT. If it were available, I'd be running it in a heartbeat!
Sounds good

I'll need to find out sometime if something like map switching is available on the fly for these cars so i don't need a programmer to switch to pump gas in an emergency.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Sounds good

I'll need to find out sometime if something like map switching is available on the fly for these cars so i don't need a programmer to switch to pump gas in an emergency.

EPL is also working on that solution right now.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
EPL is also working on that solution right now.
Sweet I'll be looking at their products once their website comes back online

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuning Question