996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine and trans coming out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
INWTurbo is infamous around these parts
Engine and trans coming out

Hi, I’m new to the site and recently acquired a 03 TT at an auction. Now the fun has started. Once I drove the car I discovered a few issues that I will need to address.

1st – the battery bracket was missing – Fixed that.
2nd – the Passport SR7 detector is not working – Found a bad fuse holder and it work for a little while now the whole display is not working. Looks like I will need to spring for a replacement.
3rd – Trans is making a noise when clutch is let out and in neutral. My guess a bad mainshaft bearing.
4th – Key fob not working – took the car to the dealer and was told I would need to get a new fob since I did not have the fob #.
5th – Spoiler failure warning – fixed that today with the help of this board (thx) by adding fluid to the hydraulic pump. Works like a champ.
6th - while at the dealer I had them check the over revs and man this car has had a tough life. Lots of type 2 over revs. So I plan to do a leakdown test. I have my fingers crossed all is well.

One question I have for the board is. Does anyone have a detailed step by step on dropping the motor and trans? I downloaded the service manual that Mike was so nice to share, but I didn’t find instructions on this. I have already removed the bumper, airbox and intercoolers along with cross members under the car. My fear is I will miss something small (and expensive) during the process. Once I have the motor and trans out I will be checking the clutch and ripping into the trans to find the bad bearing.

While I have the motor out any suggested mods like, DV or GT2 clutch conversion?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Ron

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
#3 sounds like a Lightweight flywheel. You may want to find someone in your area with one and compare the noise and search this forum for LWFW.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
That would be great if it is. The dealer felt it was something bad. The trans is leaking pretty good around the shift linkage bushing/seal. When I drained the trans It looked like I only had about 3 qts. Good news is no metal bits, just a little metallic mix to the red fluid, but not bad.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Go for you in buying a car and seeing what it could be and not being afraid to get it there yourself.
I wish the best, keep us up to date on your build. I'd like to know how to pull the engine myself.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
ahardm3 is infamous around these parts
where in the inland nw are you from spokane?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
In Spokane Velley. What part of Spokane are you in?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I live in North spokane. I bought my turbo 4 months ago. I but the tranny noise is a light weight flywheel i have one in mine and it is ridiculously loud

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Are you driving the car in this great weather? It would be great to meet up with you to compare the sound to mine. Also great to have a fellow TT in Spokane

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I wish i have been up at the Olympics for 2weeks now and still have another 2 to go. Pm me your number and I'll get ahold of you when I get back

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Ron,

If you plan to upgrade turbos in the future with more power in mind, it would be a good idea to replace the turbo inlet tubes and rear plenum while the motor is out. These pieces are a lot more difficult to access later, if you ever decide to do it.

The GT2 clutch conversion is another good modification.

Here is a picture of the larger inlet pipes and the modified rear plenum being installed...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Can't pm yet. I need 5 more post. I will PM you as soon as I get my quota. Hope you enjoy the games.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
John, nice looking setup

Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Thanks. That picture also shows the GT2 clutch conversion in process (the old fashioned way). That's a 993 GT2 slave on the right and the 996TT power assisted slave sitting on top of the transmission. We had to tap the case to mount it. It's the same transmission case as the 993 and the spot was there for mounting the part, it was just missing the threaded mounting holes. This was done before any of the GT2 conversion kits were out, so we kind of had to pioneer it...works fantastic, though. Going on 4 years, 40,000 miles now with no problems.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
John, do you sell the GT2 clutch conversion kit? Also can you send me a PM of the price of the inlet and any other mod you may suggest? Thanks Ron

Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Hi Ron,

Yes, we do - I will PM you pricing shortly on all these items. I have a brief meeting coming right up and then I will be in touch...

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine and trans coming out