996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is still using a stock MAF at 550+whp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ttboost
The K&N's and other "oil" filters are what people are saying fouls the MAF. And those filters with NO oil filter nothing. I dyno'd filters and no filter back to back...not worth the aggravation.
K&Ns are similer but BMCs a tad better IMHO.
Also, just my opin but......how much oil a BMC has, is basically your call.
I've run BMCs for last 6-7 yrs.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GreggT
K&Ns are similer but BMCs a tad better IMHO.
Also, just my opin but......how much oil a BMC has, is basically your call.
I've run BMCs for last 6-7 yrs.
I agree that most screen filters (K&N, BMC etc) are all very close. I bought a K&N a long time ago and I didn't see any great increase in power for me to switch from the factory paper which has superior filtering capabilites (Thats why Porsche used it from the get-go). I use to use K&N's on my bikes and if you don't have enough oil, they don't filter well and I've seen what sand does to a cylinder wall. Just my opinion and experience.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
BTW.....I am talking the flat panal one piece BMC (looks similer to OE only better).....not the conical whatever.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GreggT
BTW.....I am talking the flat panal one piece BMC (looks similer to OE only better).....not the conical whatever.
Absolutely understood, as was I. I am right about 600rwhp with stock airbox, paper filter and all stock piping. The K&N got me less than 10whp.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
I've been running with a K&N in the stock air box since day one. NO issues.
I've been doing the same and no problem also,my car has a 24/18 set up.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by rdss

So does Todd... Oh wait...

Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss

Man, I can't vouch for 24/18's, but it works great with 16/16's

Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
So does Todd... Oh wait...
Yes Todd had the 24/18 set up,but.........suddenly it's became 16/16'

Old 05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
kelesha is infamous around these partskelesha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Powell
There are a lot of tuning things to go along with MAFless. I had a VERY custom one-off tune by Tony @ EPL. I would not recommend it to anyone with less then 700-800rwhp because there is no real point. Best way to keep your MAF's intact is to run a stock airbox. I did all they way to 666-700rwhp.

I am still MAFless though now, but I also have a standalone computer that controls all my fuel/spark.
Hmmm really i cant understand your point ? You have VERY custom tune from EPL and in same time you run stand alone, so how that can be done and why ?

And can we assume that there is not company in USA what can done true MAFless conversion on Porsche cars with stock Motronic ECU ? If so, i am interested where is the problem exactly ?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Evoms has their own maf solutions and so do we... there are some that run high end applications without a maf.. but you can count the amount of cars on one hand...

Since your in Europe, what do the tuners do overseas? I doubt they runs cars without a stock Maf... usually they all run stock air box with stock Maf...
If it was that easy it would not take 10 years to do.. and most of these mafless setups are $80K build outs.. very custom jobs.... noty something you put on at 600rwhp..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't MAFless be easy(ier), if you wanted to bag the PSM?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Evoms has their own maf solutions and so do we... there are some that run high end applications without a maf.. but you can count the amount of cars on one hand...

Since your in Europe, what do the tuners do overseas? I doubt they runs cars without a stock Maf... usually they all run stock air box with stock Maf...
If it was that easy it would not take 10 years to do.. and most of these mafless setups are $80K build outs.. very custom jobs.... noty something you put on at 600rwhp..
I know that EVOMS(EVOMSit if we need to be 100% correct ) have MAFless solution.........from not so long ago and its really made with quality, may be not so cheap too....
In EU specially i know several tuners who can done quality MAF less conversion on every Motronic ME7 equiped car, anyway noone of them is from "big name company" but all of them done very often custom tunes and often they made that for "big name companies"
And I cant see the problem to run mafless with stock airbox, because to relocate the air intake is a lot more difficult than to done property mafless software.........if you know how to done it btw

10 years......may be but in USA, and may be later is more good than never

Old 05-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
This is our stock airbox relocated lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Wouldn't MAFless be easy(ier), if you wanted to bag the PSM?
Street Porsche without PSM is like sprinter without one leg, so thats not the right way at all
And if the tuner know how to done its job, then to retain ABS/PSM 100% working is not the problem at all

Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
This is our stock airbox relocated lol............
Thats the only part from whole job you know, show me picture from mechanics face when he try to remove stock pipes from MAF to turbos ?

Btw in your picture stock plastic air inlet to intercooler is removed, are you sure that you have sufficient air volume and air speed to cool these 6" cores ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who is still using a stock MAF at 550+whp?