996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 SSK WoW!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
If they use the same POS plastic receptor of the ball at the end of the shifter level it is a weak link(age)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
SUNCOAST ROCKS... Buy all your OEM parts from them!
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
qvt408 is infamous around these parts
I have to agree with you Mikelly, probably the best interior upgrade i have done also. Feels like a different car.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Hrm, Mike when we finally get some decent weather I'd like to see how your shifter compares to mine. Mine is a B&M and 3rd is a bear. I have never liked B&M shifters and this one isn't much different. At least with an OEM Porsche piece the dealer could use their adjustment tool on it, not so the B&M I believe and mine may need adjustment

Last edited by BLKMGK; 03-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
Well, I have to change my oem 996 shifter out soon as I hate it. I am still torn between the standard 997 and 997 ssk. Do you experience any stiffness with the 997 ssk when the transmission is still cold? This problem was very pronounced in the 986s.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Steve01tt;2761750]Well, I have to change my oem 996 shifter out soon as I hate it. I am still torn between the standard 997 and 997 ssk. Do you experience any stiffness with the 997 ssk when the transmission is still cold? This problem was very pronounced in the 986s.[/QUOTE ]

One word. The 997 ssk is worth.
Good Luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm in the middle of my swap right now (new shifter installed, but interior still not fully assembled) and it's amazing how short the throws seem with the 997 SSK. I fired up the car and engaged a few gears to test it out, but should be able to tell a lot more tomorrow after my first test drive. Looks like a significant upgrade at this time, but I'm still nervous about putting the center console back in since I'm not sure how the hell I got it out to begin with!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Mike,

I'll have a few comments that you might be able to add to your DIY installation guide that could help others, will be sure to send them to you.

I just took my first test drive (12 mile drive) and here is my initial feeling:

"Oh my god, this must be what it's like to shift a Cup Car!"

I would say that, at least based on my first drive, that there are no significant downsides of this upgrade. I do not, however, think that this should be the default shifter in these cars because it's MUCH shorter than stock. I'd imagine that the standard 997 shifter would have been the ideal shifter for the average enthusiast, but this 997 SSK is just awesome, and an absolute MUST HAVE for us performance junkies!

Some things that come to mind, at least from my drive.

- You need to be attentive until your gearbox fluid/trans are warmed up. Shifts are so much faster than stock that you can rush shifts faster than cold synchros are going to be able to handle.
- Shifts are so short now that I was often second guessing myself that I was in the correct gear, but I never missed a gear and was always in the right gear when I completed my shifts.
- Reverse is no problem whatsoever to engage, but the second comment above rings true even for that.

I can tell you right now that, after using the 997 SSK, that you'd have a ferociously bad time driving a standard 996 shifter again!

Now I'm off to fully assemble things, since I know my cables are operating normally. Thanks again for the DIY article Mike!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm all re-assembled now, and the console fitment issue had everything to do with getting my e-brake pulled high enough to clear the console. My e-brake is fairly tight (I guess) so I really had to pull like hell to get it high enough to clear this. Not a problem once I did so, and the DIY was terrific. Mike, as I mentioned I'll PM you a few notes which *might* help others who are as un-mechanically inclined as myself! Thanks everyone, and in case it's not obvious I highly recommend this modification as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:43 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
does anyone know the part# for the 997SSK??

Where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Suncoast...Without their offer, You guys wouldn't have the DIY!!

http://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Mike

Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Here is a picture I took of the actual part number off the 997 SSK (prior to installing). I also bought mine from the folks at Suncoast.

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM
OK, here is why you want a 997 SSK installed in your 996. Although hardly scientific or precise, it should be pretty obvious about the differences in shift throws.

Attached Images     

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 SSK WoW!!!