996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Instant on radar.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 06:28 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Instant on radar.

I was driving today to my office. Speeding a little(maybe 10 over), When I see a cop on my right about 500 feet ahead, sitting in a parking lot and facing the street. My radar detector is not going off, but I proceeded slowly anyway( I have to slow down to pull in my lot). When I get into my lot my detector level meter pins on K band. I realize he is instant oning his radar gun. I sit there a few more minutes and every once in a while it just pins.
I thought to myself, with or without this detector I would have been snagged if I had been coming the other way and/or had not seen him. Instant on is almost always deadly with no traffic ahead to draw fire in advance.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:43 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Cool

You can't beat a smart Cop.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:02 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
In my area its really unusual to see a city cop using instant on. They almost always turn it on and point it douwn the road and wait for some unsuspecting, unprotected motorist to drive through it.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:04 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Instant-on got me in MI one time - can't win on that one unless you've eyeballed them or your picking them up on the V1 hitting others in front of you. Sucks.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:12 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
If you are the only one on the road and the officer is not using it ............ then you are dead. If he is using it, you will know it and read the signs of high, intense on and off.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Instant on is almost always deadly with no traffic ahead to draw fire in advance.
Correct.

And laser is even more deadly since it's ALWAYS instant-on. And to make matters much worse, laser's beam width is so much smaller than radar's beam width.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:53 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Around here it is not the ticket that is bad but the rise in your insurance rates after. I have classic insuance, I have often wondered what they would do if I got snagged for 150 in a 65???? I guess it wouldn't matter, my license would be gonzo.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:18 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Cool

always remember;

"It's not the crime, it's if you get caught"

Tower of Power

Old 12-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
CHP must use some seriously stealthy radar equipment, because with both my V1 & my K40, I *rarely* detect CHP radar until I'm too close to slow down.

Luckily I'm normally a slow driver

Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I just got nailed by instant on on an overpass. My V1 had no clue untill I was on top of the s.o.b. ticket for 102 in a 70. >

Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Shawn C
I just got nailed by instant on on an overpass. My V1 had no clue untill I was on top of the s.o.b. ticket for 102 in a 70. >
When was that? Did your insurance go up?

Old 12-28-2004, 12:32 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Hey guys. You gotta make a run for it. Dukes of Hazzard style. That's the only way to beat the ticket and insurance.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:12 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by collin996tt
Hey guys. You gotta make a run for it. Dukes of Hazzard style. That's the only way to beat the ticket and insurance.

Yeah - and shoot their tires out or fire sticks of dynamite at them with a bow and arrow if they try to come after you!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:22 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I was only half joking because I've done it twice in my TT. It worked both times

Both times I made eye contact with the sitting officer in his car tucked in a driveway. I'd come around the bend too fast, spot him spotting me, knowing it's too late to slow, I look at him again as I whip by, then apply full throttle to let him know I'm going for it. I immediately roll the window down to detect the siren. But it never came on and so I quickly take a detour and "hide" for awhile in case he calls his buddies up ahead. I make sure I don't take the same path again for a few weeks

Of course, it only worked because there was no traffic around where I worked during those times so I can afford to make a dash without public safety issues. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by collin996tt
Did that as a kid in my buick skylark. A long story, but they did catch me. And I had to go to court. My father spoke to the judge and I got a slap on the wrist....I was 17 years old.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Instant on radar.