996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:53 PM
ptconner is infamous around these parts
Coolant Leak

Hey all, the other day I noticed a few drops of coolant on my garage floor after driving the car. I have a coated floor so I can see when anything drops off the car. Definitely could smell the coolant after running the car, but the volume of coolant lost is very small. I put the car up on jackstands and checked out where the coolant coming from. I can see where it is dripping down, but not necessarily the origins.

Anyhow, in the pictures, the coolant is dripping off the large pipe that goes into the driver's side of the engine. I am guessing that is an oil pipe. Something tells me the coolant is coming from somewhere above. I pulled off the airbox to see if I could see any leaks, but I did not detect any. Seems like it is more toward the backside of the engine.

Any help would be much appreciated. Hoping the engine doesn't have to come down to fix this.

Attached Images    
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
check the coolant tank cap (when cars running and coolant tank is full, wait until car's at op. temp, drive it a bit, stop and check, has to be hot). if it's the cap, you'll see the coolant seeping out dripping down below.

could be the tank itself.

heard water pump leaks as it goes out but not sure if it would drip in that location.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
There is a return line (black hose) that goes over the axle.. it is held by a clip.. most often that brakes and the hoes rubs till it leaks...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Mark, what about the glued in coolant line fittings I have read about? Where are they located?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I checked all of those things and did some more poking around. It appears that the coolant is dripping down the driver's side of the engine case. I specifically checked out the hoses that run over the axle near the accumulator and didn't see any leaks. Any other suggestions before I take it to the dealer?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Well, the car is at the dealer, and as I suspected, they are saying they need to take the engine out to find the source of the leak. Quoted $2300 for engine removal and installation. I'm going to take it to a reputable independent nearby and see what they have to say before I drop that kind of coin though.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its probably this little black 90 degree close leaking at the clamp....
it can be done from the top... mine leaked before at the clamp....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Well I took it to the independent shop. They seem to be much more knowledgable than the dealer about the car overall and the common problems with the car. They lowered the engine slightly to peer in and diagnose the coolant leak. Apparently it is some sort of fitting on the back side of the engine and indeed cannot be repaired without dropping the engine from the car. "Luckily" they only want $1700, not the $2300 the dealer wanted.

I'll try and snap some pictures of the problem piece tomorrow when they have the engine out.

UGH.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
IF you do drop it please have them take a hard look at the glued in fittings that are on the oil cooler. This has been talked about a bunch lately and when these go - and they do - it's a PITA to fix. Welding them seems to be the best way to go and that's best done when the engine is out obviously. I dread the day I find that sort of issue with mine :-( Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Yeah I already talked to the guys at the shop about that and they are aware of that issue and plan to address it. I appreciate the advice. I have been closely following all of that development just out of searching for help with my cause.