996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbonetic LSD: Whoaa bite is spectacular

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996tt_stevo
think i posted this link recently https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sd-buster.html ... A lot of great info here, that will help!
+10!!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I got this info a while back from Kiyo at carbonetics:

Between 2.0way and 1.5way, in case with carbon LSD, there is not big difference, LSD provide better traction for any time just 1.5way type LSD provide little weak at declaration. so when you entering corner have more neutral handing.

2.0way is good for Drag and drifting or the driver want to have stable the car on the ground, however when you go lower speed cornering makes little understating but this LSD provide less gap at gas pedal on and off. so means providing smoothly ride.

for general 1.5way is popular for any kind of cars. One more things this LSD required special gear oil we provide, 1 gallon bottle (AR7590-01) $50 MSRP. You need at least 3 bottles of oils, 1st time and 2nd time oil change is just right away you dirve like 100miles, and each time you need 1gallon of oil for Porsche transmission. once finish break in procedure we recommend to change oil every 2000miles.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by landjet
Matt, if I were to buy one of your new billet units for my 2002 996TT, what kind of longevity am I looking at? I do 6 or 7 DE's per season. Please PM me the price for the 60/40 unit.
Hello Larry,
With that kind of usage we generally find that the LSD needs a refresh about the same time your gearbox does. Even then, the rebuilder often gets inside there and finds the differential still has plenty of life left in it. But it's pretty rare that someone is pulling the LSD out by itself to rebuild it.

I could put whatever claims I wanted on my website about longevity and wear characteristics and locking forces, but there's really noone out there who's going to verify that stuff. So I just choose not to play that game.

I started selling GT LSD's in 2003 when I was working for Tom Conway at Carquip. Back then we were one of Guard's biggest customers. In the 4+ years I spent working for Tom we probably only had to rebuild a dozen or so of the LSDs that we had sold and installed. It was more common to rebuild one that he had sold years earlier on a previous rebuild of the same gearbox that came back to us for it's next service.

Since I purchased this business 9 months ago, the vast majority of rebuilds that I have provided and sold parts for have been for factory GT3 LSDs. Of the GT units shipped to me for service most of them have clearly been older units that are getting their first service. Sometimes the shop knows the history and sometimes they don't. But it's very easy for me to identify the generation of the differential based on the body, which has changed 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. And of course, the old plates, which haven't been used in several years are unmistakably different than our current design, so it's obvious when I take them out and replace them. What I am getting at is the differentials sent to me for service have been in service a long time.

The exception to this would obviously be the real racecars. Cars running the Koni (now called Continental), Rolex Grand Am racing, SCCA and even top PCA racers often get less than a whole season out of the differential before servicing them. But that's the extreme case. There's a huge spectrum out there with respect to how people use these products and what their true service interval is in the real world.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:01 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robertp
I got this info a while back from Kiyo at carbonetics:

Between 2.0way and 1.5way, in case with carbon LSD, there is not big difference, LSD provide better traction for any time just 1.5way type LSD provide little weak at declaration. so when you entering corner have more neutral handing.

2.0way is good for Drag and drifting or the driver want to have stable the car on the ground, however when you go lower speed cornering makes little understating but this LSD provide less gap at gas pedal on and off. so means providing smoothly ride.

for general 1.5way is popular for any kind of cars. One more things this LSD required special gear oil we provide, 1 gallon bottle (AR7590-01) $50 MSRP. You need at least 3 bottles of oils, 1st time and 2nd time oil change is just right away you dirve like 100miles, and each time you need 1gallon of oil for Porsche transmission. once finish break in procedure we recommend to change oil every 2000miles.
+1 that's exactly what Kiyo and I talked about.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
All PMs and price requests responded.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Matt... just curious, how many diffs have you had with broken hats?... I take it these were mostly Cups!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Matt... just curious, how many diffs have you had with broken hats?... I take it these were mostly Cups!
I've only personally held two in my hands. They were both cracked but not totally broken. Maybe Erik will post a picture of the one they had through their shop last week. It spun the cap completely off the base. Pretty nasty failure.

I've heard of it happening once or twice in street cars, but it's almost 100% an issue with cars that are raced.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Uh, no Larry, after 4.5 months waiting for the trans to be done, I'll keep this "inferior" product...

Originally Posted by landjet
Wow. Now that is what I call standing behind your product. Bravo. But Mike can sell it to me as "used" with a discount.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Uh Matt, Check it at the door pal... OK? I don't give two shytes if you are a sponsor here, or not. I "read" good things about the carbonetics... I guess because I "had an opinion" about the product based on what I'd been told, and what I'd read, that I'm not allowed to share it here on this coveted "VENDOR WORSHIPING" website... Heaven forbid someone have an interest in a product "OTHER THAN" yours.

And no, I won't be pulling the car apart to send you back the LSD... How about NOT posting in a member's thread. You guys have a "VENDORS" forum. How about using it and letting the OP keep his CARBONETICs thread intact? God forbid someone post anything about an LSD that isn't made buy GUARDS...

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by GTgears
Really? What's wrong with the differential you've got in your car?

If you aren't satisfied with it sent it back. Yes, I am serious. Pull it out of there and ship it to me with a copy of the invoice and I'll write you a check for the full retail price you paid for the product. You'll have to write off the labor charges for the install, but I will give you 100% of your money back for our product. If you really truly are convinced that the Carbonetic is a better product I'll take mine back and you can get the other one.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
303-530-1094

Last edited by Mikelly; 02-28-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
LOL, get em' Mike. The Guard homers get on my nerves too. I think everyone knows Guard makes good stuff, it's absolutely possible that other people make good ones too.

Can we have just one LSD thread that isn't taken over with Guards talk? Apparently not.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Uh Matt, Check it at the door pal... OK? I don't give two shytes if you are a sponsor here, or not. I "read" good things about the carbonetics... I guess because I "had an opinion" about the product based on what I'd been told, and what I'd read, that I'm not allowed to share it here on this coveted "VENDOR WORSHIPING" website... F'that and I'll promise you this much, next time that box comes comes apart, I'll do what I can to spend my money elsewhere, based solely on what you've posted here...

Heaven forbid someone have an interest in a product "OTHER THAN" that you, a "coveted" vendor sell here...

Mike Kelly
Mike,
I don't know what issues you have with the management of this site and how they choose to do business but please don't take it out on me. My offer was sincere. I believe in 100% customer satisfaction. That's not some chip on my shoulder about my product or anything else. I genuinely mean it when I say that and that's what prompted my offer.

While I do think I've got the best product on the market, that's really irrelevant if you don't think you've got the best product in your car. While it's totally alien to me why you let your independent talk you into buying a very expensive product that most wouldn't consider a casual purchase if you weren't 100% confident in it ,but the fact of the matter is you seem to have regrets about that. I've seen your thread about your epic problems with getting your gearbox put together and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with that. But please don't take that out on me. It's your car. You deserve to have the parts in there that you want.

I really don't have any problem with you expressing your opinion here. That's your right. But when you say something like that publicly for everyone to see, my response is going to be to try to make the customer satisfied. It wouldn't matter if it's here where I am a sponsor or Rennlist or somewhere else where I am not. The bottom line is that I want you to be happy with what you bought. So, my offer stands. If you want it out of there, I'll take it back. I'll pay the labor to get it out of there and I will coordinate with another shop of your choice, because I know you are never going back to the one who built the box, to handle that for you. That's how I do business. If you think desiring 100% customer satisfaction is a poor business practice then so be it. But I wouldn't be true to how I believe customers should be treated if I didn't make the offer.

Regards,

Matt Monson

Last edited by GTgears; 02-28-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by heavychevy
LOL, get em' Mike. The Guard homers get on my nerves too. I think everyone knows Guard makes good stuff, it's absolutely possible that other people make good ones too.
If you've read around to my comments on the subject I have never spoken poorly of any other manufacturers parts. This is because you are right. There is more than one high quality LSD on the market. And I would be a liar if I tried to pretend anything other than that was the truth.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Can we start a new thread that's ONLY about Carbonetics LSD please?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
My "publically" expressed opinion was simply that I had expressed an interest in the other product, and my indy had no experience with it. That some how endangered yet another sale for you, I guess, huh?

No, Matt, really, you got my money already, isn't that "good enough?"

No, Matt, I think your "pouncing" on a thread that talked positively about a product competitor of yours said everything... Again, you "vendors" have your own category, and yet you still feel the need to polute an enthusiast thread with your sales schtick.

This thread was was about CARBONETICs, and yet you've made it about your product instead... The posts in the thread say it all...

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by GTgears
Mike,
I don't know what issues you have with the management of this site and how they choose to do business but please don't take it out on me. My offer was sincere. I believe in 100% customer satisfaction. That's not some chip on my shoulder about my product or anything else. I genuinely mean it when I say that and that's what prompted my offer.

While I do think I've got the best product on the market, that's really irrelevant if you don't think you've got the best product in your car. While it's totally alien to me why you let your independent talk you into buying a very expensive product that most wouldn't consider a casual purchase if you weren't 100% confident in it ,but the fact of the matter is you seem to have regrets about that. I've seen your thread about your epic problems with getting your gearbox put together and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with that. But please don't take that out on me.

I really don't have any problem with you expressing your opinion here. That's your right. But when you say something like that publicly for everyone to see, my response is going to be to try to make the customer satisfied. It wouldn't matter if it's here where I am a sponsor or Rennlist or somewhere else where I am not. The bottom line is that I want you to be happy with what you bought. So, my offer stands. If you want it out of there, I'll take it back. I'll pay the labor to get it out of there and I will coordinate with another shop of your choice, because I know you are never going back to the one who built the box, to handle that for you. That's how I do business. If you think desiring 100% customer satisfaction is a poor business practice then so be it. But I wouldn't be true to how I believe customers should be treated if I didn't make the offer.

Regards,

Matt Monson

Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
You're kidding me, right?

I just got setup at VIR and got settled in after a weekend of thrashing on my kid's specmiata, and I read this thread and I"M like "WTF"... I just simply expressed an interest in another product and how I'd liked to have tried it, had my indy had experience with it... Only to read all this!!!
I've reported this thread to the mods, but I seriously doubt it'll do anything but get more negative attention on me for complaning, yet again, about the whole "vendor taking over the website" thing...

Mike

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Can we start a new thread that's ONLY about Carbonetics LSD please?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonetic LSD: Whoaa bite is spectacular