996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbonetic LSD: Whoaa bite is spectacular

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTgears
If you've read around to my comments on the subject I have never spoken poorly of any other manufacturers parts. This is because you are right. There is more than one high quality LSD on the market. And I would be a liar if I tried to pretend anything other than that was the truth.

No argument here, I have noticed that, and it's in stark contrast to some other vendors tactics, even ones in your own field (ahem Erik). Though he has calmed down a bit. Your posts are very knowledgeable and informative and that is appreciable.

However this thread is (or was anyways) about Carbonetics, you did not have to swell up in the chest in a thread about Mike's comments another product, that could have been handled privately.

And now we have a Guards thread.....

Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
If you guys really think I am "polluting" the thread I am happy to bow out. I only commented in the first place because you sounded unhappy with what you bought. While you may have meant it as a pro-Carbonetics comment it sounded to me like you were having an issue with our differential and I wanted to remedy the problem for you, whatever it was. In the future if I see something like that, I'll just hit the PM button and talk to the customer privately.

But if you guys think it's all about the money then you really don't have any idea who I am. I am an enthusiast like you guys. I love these cars and live and breath them the same way you guys do. When I say I'm bummed out that someone had a crappy experience with their rebuild and if our product had a part in that, it's something I, as a person, feel bad about. I'm very lucky in that I get to do something for a living that is tied to one of my core passions. I don't have to go sit at a desk everyday and write code for some computer system or manage somoene's stock portfolio while dreaming about my car. I get to talk to you guys every day and help you build your cars up. And if me getting a little bothered when someone isn't happy with one of our products means I care too much, than I'll own that fault. I never meant to **** on someone's excitement about their new toy for their car. I saw a guy who I thought was unhappy with the new toy for his car and I wanted to make that right. Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Regards,

Matt

Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Sell it or spin it as you will man... I simply said "I'd wanted to try it but my indy had no experience with it, so I ended up with the guards"

That some how smelled to you like I was unhappy with the setup in my car... WOW... I'm impressed... No really... Spin that garbage elsewhere...I like your product so far, Matt, but really, weak sauce man... And yea, I'm calling you on it, for the reasons we've pretty much spelled out.

Mike Kelly

Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Just so we're all on the same sheet of paper and facts are not distorted further... This is what I initially posted...And why I get a serious case of the **** when vendors jump in both feed first...

And for the record, I've got a whopping 500 street miles on my setup, none of that track use... How does that read into me being happy or unhappy with the setup I have?

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I wanted to got his route and mentioned the info to my indy (thanks to Mr. White for this info about 6 months ago!!) but the indy had zero experience with the carbonetic stuff and sold me on the guards ONLY because he wasn't comfy with the setup of the carbonetics unit.

The guards works, but based on what I read about the carbonetics, I shoulda forced the issue... That unit is NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

Mike

Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Question

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Think I posted this link recently https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sd-buster.html ... a lot of great info here, that will help!
Is it this easy to swap the LSD in the 996? Case looks similar to me. If so I'm impressed - beats the heck out of other cars I've owned!

I don't understand the static on the Guard comments. He's offering helpful insight and he's not downing the other product other than to mention it might dirty up the oil. Honestly an 1860 mile oil change sounds pretty frequent to me for a transmission! Is that every change? Okay, Guards is a vendor but if he's an enthusiast he has opinions and insight, chasing him off seems counterproductive. Are the Carbonetics guys as active? If so let them offer insight too - it would be welcomed I think. Heck, I think it would be very nice if more vendors were more active and open. I only hit the vendor area looking at new products - usually after a link out here somewhere!

Meanwhile Mr. White can continue to test his LSD and provide feedback. I look forward to it...

Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
In this case I have to agree with BLKMGK. I found the info helpful as well and didn't see it as looking for sales.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think Matt misunderstood Mike's first post. How many times have you actually done research on what you're buying only to show up and have a salesman try to sell you on another product because that's where they get the best deal and have established a relationship.

I've had pro race teams try to put down Ohlins 3-ways because they didn't sell them and turn around and try to sell me Moton Clubsports, like I'm an idiot or something. That is the quickest way to lose my business. Mike's frustration has never been with the product, but only the way he was coerced into something when he had a good idea about something else. Haven't we all been there. Ever been cross shopping a car with another and mess around and tell the salesman about the other car? He's going to tell you every problem he can think of real or not about the other car so you'll buy his. If you aren't in the know, you can get duped. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info available on LSD's so even some of us in the know about other car stuff have no clue about them as they relate to each other.

And I'm sure combined with his overall experience of taking a long time to get his gearbox done, this only added to the frustration with the indy when he found out he may have been able to save some money and get similar performance for his application.

The status quo must always be challenged to keep the market fair. We have some very good products coming along now and we are seeing that there are other quality options for our cars. So you guys that insist there is only one (and usually what ever you bought is the only one) can take that elsewhere (and I'm not talking about Matt, he's been very open minded about other products, moreso than the homers around here).

Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Yip, me too... Matt more than welcome as I asked him a few simple questions on this thread, Matt is great guy!... TBH this place is really starting to be irritating you say something and certain ppl jump down your throat and I have been involved in this kind of crap recently and it's not me... think I will just not bother posting here anymore, becoming frustrating!!!
BTW... maybe us track junkies are actually posting in the wrong section. I'm done here SERIOUSLY

Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 AM
This will be my last post in this thread, and may well be my last post on 6speeds.com:

I dont' have a problem with Matt, or Matt's product. His product is in my car. I had a problem with his assumption that I was unhappy with his product. My point in the original post was that I'd read and heard good things about the SUBJECT of this thread. Matt posted defending his product and offering to buy back the Guards unit, as if I'd insulted him in some way for stating that I was simply interested in the SUBJECT of this thread, which is what set me off.

Maybe I'm just tired of being chastized everytime I complain about the vendors in general posting in threads. Maybe my life has to much stress in it and I'm being to critical of some. Maybe it's just time for me to move on.

The vendors do pay to keep this place up and running, so maybe the mods have a point in sending me their love notes when I pipe up and complain about things like this...The info Matt posted was useful, but would have been more beneficial for all without coloring the intent of his post in poor light had he posted in a new thread about the Guards unit. I don't question the merit of the info he posted. I do question it being here, in a Carbonetics thread... That, and his implication that I wasn't happy with his product and would some how pay $1000 labor on his part to have it removed and sent back to him for a full refund of the cost of the part.

You guys have fun. I'm off to the track.

Mike

Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Let's just say we all had a bad day and keep on posting. I learn something from every post and "ALMOST" every poster. Don't get me wrong, I have been on the wrong end too.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
A new thread has been created that has some specific information on the Carbonetics differential that I think might be helpful. Also check the vendor's side for a group purchase.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I guess my question stands - is our diff as easy to swap as the linked thread earlier that I quoted? If so it sure shouldn't be a grand to swap! I'm genuinely curious as to how the LSD fits in there on our cars...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
You are actually not paying a grand, or at least should not have to pay that, for the installation of the LSD alone. I think that this figure of a thousand dollars probably includes the r&r of the gearbox from the car. Normal installation of a LSD is about 3-4 hours at most. Depending on the rates that are charged it is easy to see that the installation will be far less then that.

There is no differential that can be considered a plug and play option, and don't ever believe anyone that says that there one. You need to reset the ring and pinion which is what takes so much time. If you don't serious internal damage can take place, which will cost far more money, then that of the install expense.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on Eric@GBox.

You can drop it in in 3-4 hours, without doing special shimming. Ususally, the diff is so closely machined to OEM spec that you just use your old shims. If you change the gear and pinion for different final drive ratio, you should be more thorough with the backlack. The backlash I feel on my car after 300 miles of driving and hard tracking is non-detectable, and I just had my shop drop the pumpkin in, instead of the oem open diff. I also swapped on a 350Z Twin Turbo and the case was the same there, the Carbonetic was a direct swap and no backlash issues on that car either after very very hard track driving.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Yip, me too... Matt more than welcome as I asked him a few simple questions on this thread, Matt is great guy!... TBH this place is really starting to be irritating you say something and certain ppl jump down your throat and I have been involved in this kind of crap recently and it's not me... think I will just not bother posting here anymore, becoming frustrating!!!
BTW... maybe us track junkies are actually posting in the wrong section. I'm done here SERIOUSLY
Not sure where all the heat came from either. Lets all just take a chill pill. this is meant to be fun guys.

Last edited by Harold; 03-02-2010 at 11:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonetic LSD: Whoaa bite is spectacular