996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbonetic LSD: Whoaa bite is spectacular

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'd like to publically extend my apoligies to Matt and Erik At Gbox. My initial reaction was due to my thought that the folks from Gbox/Guards were jumping in to hammer the Carbonetic LSD/ another vendor. I was unaware that they also sold the Carbonetic LSD units, and assumed that yet another vendor was behaving badly. That apparently wasn't the case, and for that over-reaction I am wrong and apologize. They seem to be good folks who simply want to help.

That said, I am happy with my new guards LSD but would have liked to sample the other unit, if I had a "do over". Thanks for the offer to refund my money on the unit Matt, but I'll keep what I have in place as I have zero interest in the car being down for many many more months (based on my INDY's history of installations.).

This is my last post on 6speeds.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Bringing some more track feedback to this thread, the Carbonetic LSD worked really great this last weekend at a very hot and slippery Buttonwillow (CW13 config). I was using Hankook's now discontinued Ventus RS2 street tires on rear axle with the newer RS3 on front axle and hadn't I had such a smooth LSD when applying power I'd never been able to run a 1.55,7 on these.

Hoping I'll get to run the LSD with an R-comp tire as well soon and some added power later on this year (current crank is 58+ from stock = 473hp), but yeah, the LSD lock is very strong and comes on completely gradual so there's absolutely no twitching etc, just as smooth as the throttle application, it helps to go fast and shows no signs so far of letting go even under a lot of heatstress (and it's still silent driving home).

Thumbs up from my side. Next stop Las Vegas Speedway outside road course.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
1:55 on street tires is fast!!! Good stuff.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Please keep updating us on this LSD.

When you say "no backlash", what do you mean and how does it feel to the driver?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Backlash is a term for the play between the pinion in the diff housing, and the main gear that sits on the LSD pumpkin. With too much play, you'll fell it like a worn out driveaxle at on and off throttle actions. Too much play and it can damage the gears, should be pretty tight according to manufacturer specs. So after the install it's one of the first things to feel for, if there seems to be too much play or if it feels tight when driving (it's super un-scientific). Important also then to not confuse it with an agressive ECU map with a rough behaviour around throttle on/off/light loads, and that the driveshafts are good. Best solution to really KNOW is that the backlash is measured perfectly when the LSD pumpkin is being installed.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:09 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
I would like to get a price too, please.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by MrWhite
I went for 1.5 to start as I don't believe a 2-way will be ideal for the 996 Turbo which has a rear end coming around pretty well anyway (EDIT: going into turns). So when I can get 100% lock on accel, it will only give up to 50% lock on decel, which imo worked very well.

MrWhite can you also PM me the cost and spec. Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by S4corrado996TT
MrWhite can you also PM me the cost and spec. Thank you for sharing!
For pricing you guys should contact Carbonetic, or a vendor.

I ran the diff with 80% of the maximum friction (disc pack can be adjusted/discs can be removed) but that was a tad too much for the street tires so I would run 66% now. It still ramps up to 100% lock so don't get that confused, but the 66% effective disc configuration is just a better spec.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
Why did Erik from gbox get banned? Did they do something wrong?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daytrip00
Why did Erik from gbox get banned? Did they do something wrong?
To my knowledge it was no more than Gbox dropping their sponsorship of the site. There was no formal banning or any sort of incident. And Erik no longer works for them. I think it's been almost a year since he resigned from their company. And just for further clarity, my company is in no way affiliated with Gbox or their employees. Somehow some people thought we were the same company. We're two completely independent companies and they aren't even a Guard dealer...

Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM
I was able to get my hands on a new batch of these diffs - first come first serve!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4442096