996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

light weight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:36 AM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
light weight pulley

Any one try any of these light weight pulleys, do they actually make a difference in drivability and performance?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
depends how heavy original is but prob wont feel it on a car this powerful. be cautious when changing the crank pulley. OEM and brands like ATI have dampning properties.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Mbailey is running one..

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
P2P
P2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the roughP2P is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jalmood
Any one try any of these light weight pulleys, do they actually make a difference in drivability and performance?

Wondering with the same question ??

Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Iam running the EVOMS pulley. Its a high quality piece that is much lighter than the stock version. Like someone said earlier, on cars this powerful its hard to notice its effect on performance and drivability. It does underdrive accessories by about 15% but I have not found this to be a problem.
With the OPs list of mods I would consider the pulley to be a viable addition since he seems have a no compromises approach similar to my own.

http://www.evomsit.com/EPK_GT2_CS.htm

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
depends how heavy original is but prob wont feel it on a car this powerful. be cautious when changing the crank pulley. OEM and brands like ATI have dampning properties.
The OEM unit is a solid piece w/o and dampening.

I just installed a BBi pulley which is about the same weight and diameter of the EVO unit. It was cheap and I have the motor out so why not. EVO has not done any back to back dyno pulls yet so no hp#s yet.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Another vote that it won't make a difference on a car this powerful (or even a good bit less powerful). On less powerful cars the underdrive property can then become a problem. It's really not ever worth it IMHO.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Lightweight crank pulley's of stock size don't increase peak steady state power, just allow you to get there faster much like a light weight flywheel.
It's possible to calculate the HP benefits under acceleration only for a given weight reduction and it's a fraction of a HP in the lower gears where RPM rate of change is greatest and insignificant in the higher gears.
Plus there's always the question of crank shaft torsional damping being adversely impacted.

Bottom line - not worth the $$$$

Under drive and super charger pulleys are a different discussion.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM
jalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura aboutjalmood has a spectacular aura about
I guess that after all the comments from you guys its not worth the labor to get it installed.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78
The OEM unit is a solid piece w/o and dampening.

I just installed a BBi pulley which is about the same weight and diameter of the EVO unit. It was cheap and I have the motor out so why not. EVO has not done any back to back dyno pulls yet so no hp#s yet.
Very glad to hear you got it installed!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM
i have another question which is not releated to this threads subject, can we get more power through tuning but without altering the turbo Boost pressure? (in my case i'm boosting to 1.4 Bars, but i want more power without raising the boost more than 1.4 Bar, replacing turbos are out of the question)

Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
FWIW, The increase in power of our crank pully was just a bonus for us. We originally decided develop our light weight pulley because were running into issues with the factory pulley spining off on our high horse applications. The addition of our pulley to these applications has eliminated that problem completely while also freeing up a little HP.

JALMOOD,
What tune are you currently running? We might be able to help you.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
FWIW, The increase in power of our crank pully was just a bonus for us. We originally decided develop our light weight pulley because were running into issues with the factory pulley spining off on our high horse applications. The addition of our pulley to these applications has eliminated that problem completely while also freeing up a little HP.

JALMOOD,
I am running EPL's tune from Tony.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
I am running EPL's tune from Tony.
I guess if I would have looked a little closer I would have known that, sorry.

Anyway, Todd is out of town right now but will be back Monday. I will bounce this off of him and get back to you. Thanks.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports

JALMOOD,
Tks
So what is the actual benefit if any? Anything one can notice at all?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: light weight pulley