996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X73 vs. aftermarket coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 PM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
X73 vs. aftermarket coilovers

Talked to my porsche dealership and they told me that coilovers will not handle as well as X73 sport suspension. They claimed that aftermarket coilovers will not match the struts while the X73 suspension comes with special struts. I cannot remember the exact reasoning but he was mentioning how the car rolls in turns and with just coilovers, the car would not roll correctly. Is this true or is he just promoting porsche aftermarket products?

Would the X73 sport suspension offer better handling and ride than PSS9 coilovers?

Old 12-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Depending on the ride height of the PSS9s yes. There have been problems with hitting bump stop on the PSS9s when lowered to or below GT2 spec.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Your dealer is confusing 2 different upgrades. Coilovers are much different from drop in springs. If we are talking about for instance H&R drop in springs mounted on stock, non sport option struts then yes, the x73 is the better way to go as you get the lowered ride height, and the springs are matched to the modified dampening/rebound of the struts. However, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers are a different story. The springs are closer to a race design (smaller inside/outside diameter and their effective rate will be stiffer than the x73 but they are hugely better in every way. The Springs are matched to the struts and you have 9 different dampening adjustments for both front and rear. The spring/strut assys when lowered do change your roll radius and CAN counteract roll somewhat but the springs primary job is to counter dive and squat. The anti-roll (sway) bars are what counter roll. Go with the PSS9's and you'll be super happy.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:26 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
X73 setup here and am very happy with it, excellent choice.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:33 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
If you want to stay all-Porsche then go for the X-73. If that's not a priority to you, then the Pss9 is a great product.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:56 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You keep leaving out JIC. I like these as an alternative because you can adjust the height and corner balance without bottoming out the shock. I have about 12K on mine now and have been on them for shy of a year. I can personally say I out sell these 4 to 1 compared to the Pss9s. If you want the car lower than X73 or true Euro then the bump stop becomes an issue with the PSS9s. The JIC have a thread lower collar that keeps the shock in a position that it still maintains full movement.

They are about the same cost and have the monoballs to go along with them...

Man I sound like an Infomercial!

Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by PorschePhD

Why anyone would not go this route is beyond me...

Old 12-29-2004, 07:48 AM
bucking is infamous around these parts
I have the Ruf Pss9 suspension as installed on my 2002 turbo by Perfect Power in Libertyville, IL. I'm running my stock wheels/tires with stage IV GIAC and associated hardware. Car is set reasonably low and it handles GREAT. I have driven the car many miles over a 10 month period and have had no problems, none of any kind. It is a very well engineered system and, like most things mechanical, proper installation and set-up is key. That's why I like Sol at Perfect Power; he knows how to set up a Porsche suspension system as well as anyone I've ever known. Bottom line, I like my Pss9 suspension; I would certainly recommend it.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
The JIC sound great but I already think my turbo is bumpy with 19's on Chicago roads. I think for me PSS9's are the way to go but I want my car to be close to gt2 ride height.

Bucking, I will have Sol at Perfect Power do the install most likely.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
Why anyone would not go this route is beyond me...
Because its overkill for most people.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:00 PM
bucking is infamous around these parts
dlm477: Sol will do a great job, you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:28 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Do PSS9's ride smoother than JIC's?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
One more question, any experiences with H&R coilovers? I know the stiffness if not adjustable. How is it? Any sagging? How do they compare to PSS9's. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:41 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by PorschePhD
You keep leaving out JIC. I like these as an alternative because you can adjust the height and corner balance without bottoming out the shock. I have about 12K on mine now and have been on them for shy of a year. I can personally say I out sell these 4 to 1 compared to the Pss9s. If you want the car lower than X73 or true Euro then the bump stop becomes an issue with the PSS9s. The JIC have a thread lower collar that keeps the shock in a position that it still maintains full movement.

Stephen,

Which ones do you have the JIC/Cross competition coilovers?? What would you recommend for the streets in Chicago.......you know how terrible our roads are here!! I am looking for better handling, but, also have to take into consideration overall ride as with these streets, my teeth may rattle loose. Suggestions? TIA

Lou

Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Lou,
A lot of it has to do with spring rates. Make sure you get something that is not as stout as they recommend. I am running a pretty heavy rate but don't have as bad as roads here. I do have the competition setup.

H&Rs....forget it. They are the only system that I can say are not matched. I was not impressed. Their other stuff is good, but the 996 stuff is not impressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X73 vs. aftermarket coilovers