996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oxygen sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Hedonistic is infamous around these parts
Oxygen sensor replacement?

So I'm part way through my spark plug and coil change (driver's side done). So the bumper is off, intercoolers and many other fiddly bits are off and on the garage floor.

It occurred to me that when I had my Boxster, it was at about this time (01 2.7L and maybe 60,000 miles) that it threw a CEL that a friend's Durametric said was one of the Oxygen sensors. I replaced all 4 and the CEL went away but as a bonus the car ran noticeably better (this is a common finding).

My 02 996TT (around 58,000 mi) has not yet thrown a CEL. But I'm looking at all the parts that are strewn all over the floor and realize that all these things will need to come off again if I want to easily change out the O2 sensors. At the moment, the O2 sensors are in plain sight. Whereas if I had everything back together again it'd be very very tight to change them out if I tried to do it from below [probably beyond my capabilities or I'd need some kind of off-set wrench]

I'm thinking I should proactively replace the O2 sensors now. But I see very few threads about 996TT owners having done this yet.

Should I do them now?

When I replaced the Boxster's sensors I used ones obtained by a friend and he can't remember the vendor any more. I just know it was an off-shore generic brand, I had to cut and solder the wires to the Boxster's wiring harness, but they were really inexpensive compared to the OEM ones; and importantly, they worked great.

I've been using mostly OEM parts for the 996TT but the Boxster experience with the generic ones has made me more open to using off-brand ones.

Does anyone know a good source for 996TT oxygen sensors?

Last edited by Hedonistic; 02-27-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Do not know of a good source. However, the Bosch # for the fronts are 17044 and the rears are 16205.

Check on-line for these numbers and you will find a good source price wise.

GL

Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
By fronts you mean precat correct?

Last edited by contigo; 05-24-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know the bung thread size for the O2 sensors? I am having difficulty finding the thread size. Thank you.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I just did a CP and plug change and pulling the bumper and everything off wasn't bad at all. I'm sure the second time around would be even faster (especially if I decide to pick up an electric 3/8" impact). So there's no real need to waste the money on replacing perfectly good o2's since they are not all that hard to get at later.

That said, check pelican parts, suncoast porsche or ecstuning for the best prices on o2's if you decide to replace them. Autoatlanta.com says that the primary o2 part # is 99660612800 and the secondary o2 part number is 99660613801.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hedonistic
So I'm part way through my spark plug and coil change (driver's side done). So the bumper is off, intercoolers and many other fiddly bits are off and on the garage floor.

It occurred to me that when I had my Boxster, it was at about this time (01 2.7L and maybe 60,000 miles) that it threw a CEL that a friend's Durametric said was one of the Oxygen sensors. I replaced all 4 and the CEL went away but as a bonus the car ran noticeably better (this is a common finding).

My 02 996TT (around 58,000 mi) has not yet thrown a CEL. But I'm looking at all the parts that are strewn all over the floor and realize that all these things will need to come off again if I want to easily change out the O2 sensors. At the moment, the O2 sensors are in plain sight. Whereas if I had everything back together again it'd be very very tight to change them out if I tried to do it from below [probably beyond my capabilities or I'd need some kind of off-set wrench]

I'm thinking I should proactively replace the O2 sensors now. But I see very few threads about 996TT owners having done this yet.

Should I do them now?

When I replaced the Boxster's sensors I used ones obtained by a friend and he can't remember the vendor any more. I just know it was an off-shore generic brand, I had to cut and solder the wires to the Boxster's wiring harness, but they were really inexpensive compared to the OEM ones; and importantly, they worked great.

I've been using mostly OEM parts for the 996TT but the Boxster experience with the generic ones has made me more open to using off-brand ones.

Does anyone know a good source for 996TT oxygen sensors?
If you need genuine O2 sensors give us a shout. We typically have them in stock.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not looking for an O2 sensor, I'm looking for the thread definition for the bung. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BMiller33
I am not looking for an O2 sensor, I'm looking for the thread definition for the bung. Thanks.
Porsche does not seel the thread... Below is the diagram so you see how they have it broken down.

Attached Images  
ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
amazon - $100 rear, $130 front. search is ur palz

Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bmiller33
anyone know the bung thread size for the o2 sensors? I am having difficulty finding the thread size. Thank you.
M18 x 1.5