996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

pss9 install - how much to drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
pss9 install - how much to drop

ive searched already but wanted opinions and more importanly pictures of various drops so i can try and make up my mind, im having pss9's installed tomorrow

so far i'm thiking a 20mm drop is enough, its only for street use, no track at all, just want to improve the look, the imporved handling is an added bonus

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
mcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nice
The consensus seems to focus on the GT2 specs as the best DD ride height.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mcisprinter
The consensus seems to focus on the GT2 specs as the best DD ride height.
And you have done just about zero research about GT2 and PSS9 ride height. Please do your research before you cost this fellow a ton of change. "Best" is purely an opinion as everyone has different needs. Below is a link both of you guys should read. I've had PSS9's and took them off after 1 month of having them at GT2 height. At that level the coil-overs were complete garbage.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-write-up.html

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
mcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nicemcisprinter is just really nice
I apologize, I assume that my experience with PSS10s on my Turbo would be similar to the PSS9. I stand corrected.

SSMugen, I humbly submit to you that you should research the following link I have included below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politeness

Regards,

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ssmugen
And you have done just about zero research about GT2 and PSS9 ride height. Please do your research before you cost this fellow a ton of change. "Best" is purely an opinion as everyone has different needs. Below is a link both of you guys should read. I've had PSS9's and took them off after 1 month of having them at GT2 height. At that level the coil-overs were complete garbage.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-write-up.html

Good luck!
thank you, interesting thread, one of the main reasons for buying the pss9's was to lower my ride so i'll give it a try at 1'' lower than stock and see how i like it

seems like i have read tons of threads where someone asks what is best in order to lower the ride height, springs or coilovers and everyone chimes in saying coilovers, then everyone says billsteins are the best way to go, not once has anyone raised the subject of it being a bad idea, if i had read the thread you linked i probably wouldnt have bought the billsteins

oh well, if i dont like them i'll take them off

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
You'll like them. Almost everyone does, great bang for the buck.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You'll be fine. My PSS9's have my car at least an inch lower, maybe a little more and they're fine.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, after all of that reading I have no idea what to do?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
That makes two of us....!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
I like JRZ/Moton best. Then i'd go with KW and finally i'd look into JIC/PSS10.

Everyone has different opinions on what is best so who knows really... I'm sure there are many kits out there but most of them are covered one way or another somewhere on this forum. I'm sure if you do a few searches you'd be in a better positoin.

P.S - if you want to go with GT2 ride height, sell the PSS9's now!

Cheers,

David

Last edited by SSMugen; 03-03-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buzzm
ive searched already but wanted opinions and more importanly pictures of various drops so i can try and make up my mind, im having pss9's installed tomorrow

so far i'm thiking a 20mm drop is enough, its only for street use, no track at all, just want to improve the look, the imporved handling is an added bonus
Buzz,
The amount you drop the car may also depend on what rear alignment you can get with the stock rear eccentrics. Drop it too much and you end up with too much camber and toe leading to excessive tire wear in the rear end. This can be corrected but you'll need adjustable rear upper control arms and toe arms. You may also need adjustable drop links. Discuss this with your installer before you proceed, as it is much cheaper to get this done all at once rather than having to go back and do it again. My guess is with just 20mm and stock wheels and tires you might be able to get by. I would drop the front more than the rear as the front rides way too high. There is enough adjustment in the stock front eccentrics to compensate for more drop than the rear. Don't even attempt GT2 ride height with pss9/10. They are not designed for that.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 03-03-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Agreed. Also, remember hat the rear is much heavier and needs a bit more travel to cope with soem of ther larger bumps. Giving it some rake (lower in the front) looks and works well.

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Buzz,
The amount you drop the car may also depend on what rear alignment you can get with the stock rear eccentrics. Drop it too much and you end up with too much camber and toe leading to excessive tire wear in the rear end. This can be corrected but you'll need adjustable rear upper control arms and toe arms. You may also need adjustable drop links. Discuss this with your installer before you proceed, as it is much cheaper to get this done all at once rather than having to go back and do it again. My guess is with just 20mm and stock wheels and tires you might be able to get by. I would drop the front more than the rear as the front rides way too high. There is enough adjustment in the stock front eccentrics to compensate for more drop than the rear. I also agree with Mugen. Don't even attempt GT2 ride height with pss9/10. They are not designed for that.