996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Mike it would be great if we can get a bunch of us together to see who has the best sounding exhaust. Of course this will be subjective to each person's ears. But a good referance point for each of us.

Perhaps at this coming weekend get together we can compare?? My car has the Miltek and it is pretty drone free.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Danyol, I read that post from Kevin. I don't like to disagree with Kevin, because normally when I do, he hunts me down and proves me wrong!!

I think doing a little dynomatt would be good to place under the rear panels. That might be the total solution to the minimal drone found in this and other systems.

Every single car I've ridden in has had at least as much drone as this car, and actually all of them except Larry's (Landjet) has had more than this system.

Mike

Originally Posted by Danyol
Yes I think there's some "drone", but for my personal taste its a good compromise for being louder. I've gotten used to the on throttle, high RPM cam sound, I find it quite intoxicating, difficult to give up. I've tried different tips but I think the single big one is a good choice; personally i'd like a twin to sound like the single big one. John's been great to work with and he produces a good product.

I've got to say I'm sensitive to the sound too, knowing you have some "sound" experience in the previous life, let's get technical on some things I've noticed.

- I think there's a fundamental resonance in the structure of the vehicle around 90 - 100 Hz (wavelength around 150"; interesting, isn't that the length of a 911?). In my opinion this is the one excited around 2 - 2.5k RPM. This is the area everyone appears to describe as "drone"

- The factory exhaust appears really well suppressing the band of resonance but ends up sounding wussy in the process. Interestingly in standard vehicles I hear the "drone" as well (particularly under load) although well suppressed.

- Depending on my mood I'm a lot more sensitive to it than others. The "drone" with any exhaust is stronger with the windows up than down.

- with some exhausts this band of resonance can be extended into the upper 2k ranges.

- The cold engine/exhaust is louder.

Mike, you have a UMW tune; Kevin mentioned in an earlier post timing retard with "crossflow" type exhausts, what do you think?

How do we eliminate drone altogether? If anyone can try a flexible rubber mount, it may help; I'd be worried about setting fire to something. The geek way of doing this is to feed an inverted sound-wave through the stereo system. Taking orders, who'd be interested...just kidding; MOD please don't ban me!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
you can't get rid of drone. No one can, but you can reduce it. Crossflow systems help, but there is still drone. H-pipe like mine helped but there is still drone. I think the goal is to reduce it to a manageable level. I have reduced the drone in my car to a comfortable level and am happy with that.

the biggest hindrance to us is the limited space we have for exhaust. it is hard to design an exhaust for our cars due to limited spacing. It can be done with other cars, but the distances for exhaust gases are so short that we don't have much to work with.

This speedtech looks really good and probably sounds very good. most crossflow exhausts do.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
Mike it would be great if we can get a bunch of us together to see who has the best sounding exhaust. Of course this will be subjective to each person's ears. But a good referance point for each of us.

Perhaps at this coming weekend get together we can compare?? My car has the Miltek and it is pretty drone free.
i think getting a bunch of peeps together to compare exhausts is a good idea. If someone brings a sound meter all the better. I'm betting mine is on the higher end of drone I want to hear Mike's new exhaust!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
i think getting a bunch of peeps together to compare exhausts is a good idea. If someone brings a sound meter all the better. I'm betting mine is on the higher end of drone I want to hear Mike's new exhaust!
What kind do you have?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
What kind do you have?
Took some looking but I found a post from Tim from when he had the car - Maxspeed headers and exhaust with a K24 hybrid turbo.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Seat of pants it sounds like you've gained some power?

I don't doubt his assertion crossflow => some loss of power over a conventional set-up. He is a "power merchant" by trade, fighting for every bhp, I can see how he'd have an issue with this. I personally would trade a little power for better sound.

BLKMGK; I don't think a sound level meter is enough, you need to know sound pressure at the different frequencies. You need some kind of spectrum analyzer. You could hook up your SPL meter to a laptop, there are a few programs out there meant for speaker analysis.

[quote756184]Danyol, I read that post from Kevin. I don't like to disagree with Kevin, because normally when I do, he hunts me down and proves me wrong!!

I think doing a little dynomatt would be good to place under the rear panels. That might be the total solution to the minimal drone found in this and other systems.

Every single car I've ridden in has had at least as much drone as this car, and actually all of them except Larry's (Landjet) has had more than this system.

Mike[/quote]

Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Took some looking but I found a post from Tim from when he had the car - Maxspeed headers and exhaust with a K24 hybrid turbo.
Thanks for looing it up.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
My system picked up power based on the "detuned" file going form stock OEM exhaust to this system. It also stahled and didnt' rev as freely. I reprogrammed the computer with the UMW 93 Octane performance file and everything changed dramatically... For the better. Car revs freer, sounds better, runs better...

With all of the changes, the rebuild of the transmission, the upgraded shifter, the new exhaust system, and returning to the performance file, this car is truly a joy to drive. I've driven it EVERY DAY since installing the system on Friday. I LOVE this exhaust now that I'm used to it. The sound at redline in 3rd is simply AMAZING with the windows down, and with the taller gearing in 3rd, the speed is well over 100MPH...

I have a couple of other things cooking, thanks to another member I'm working with on some items, and I can tell you guys, I think I'm in the middle of building the perfect beast, again!! On the "power" side of the house the only thing I'll do is buy some of Marski's intercoolers for the system. Otherwise, I'm going to have Kevin lower the boost to 1.0 BAR, as I don't want to overstress the motor at the track with 4-6 30 minute sessions lapping at the track.

Mike

Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Mr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to beholdMr. C4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
you can't get rid of drone. No one can, but you can reduce it. Crossflow systems help, but there is still drone. H-pipe like mine helped but there is still drone. I think the goal is to reduce it to a manageable level. I have reduced the drone in my car to a comfortable level and am happy with that.

the biggest hindrance to us is the limited space we have for exhaust. it is hard to design an exhaust for our cars due to limited spacing. It can be done with other cars, but the distances for exhaust gases are so short that we don't have much to work with.

This speedtech looks really good and probably sounds very good. most crossflow exhausts do.
How come only the 996 turbo has drone issues? NA 996 engines and all engines pre the 996 NA (964 & 993) engine do not suffer from drone but has equally short disrance for exhaust gases.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I wondered that myself Mr. C4! I don't hear the NA guys complaining so I'm puzzled as well. I look forward to an opportunity to listen to other's exhaust if the rain holds off. Swapped my wheels, just need center caps

Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I've driven it EVERY DAY since installing the system on Friday. I LOVE this exhaust now that I'm used to it. The sound at redline in 3rd is simply AMAZING with the windows down, and with the taller gearing in 3rd, the speed is well over 100MPH...
Mike, I'm glad you have had a chance to get some seat time with the system. I feel the same way - absolutely love it every day, especially at the top of 2nd and 3rd. This is the first system that I have not grown tired of after extended use. I like it as much now, as when I first installed it, which is very rare for an aftermarket performance exhaust.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
John,

I'm considering purchasing your 3" X-Cellerator exhaust. I'm curious as to whether the kit includes mounting straps yet. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Hi,

Yes, it comes with stainless steel straps and hardware making installation a lot easier than re-using the OEM bands. It goes on very quickly without removing the bumper cover...

John

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
pcar4ever is infamous around these parts
Are the CATs CARB approved?

If not, are there CARB approved CATs that will fit it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review