996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review

I'll admit I don't have much seat time with the system, but did manage to get it installed and then two brief 5 mile drives...

The instal is pretty straight forward and took me less than 2.5 hours from start to finish, and I did NOT, repeat NOT remove the bumper. The system comes packaged neatly in multiple boxes with much bubblewrap to protect the pieces. The only ding I'll give John and the guys is what has been a problem from the outset of my instals of speedtech systems... the dreaded straps from the OEM cans. Getting the old ones off the OEM exhaust can be probmenatic and honestly, new straps should be sourced to keep everything as it should be... new parts should be installed with, well, new parts.

One other niggling complaint. The exhaust tip on the driver's side is sticking out further than the passenger side. I'll see if things need to be tweaked after the drive tomorrow, but the passenger pipe certainly seems shorter.

Now, I am a stickler for many things, including cabin noise. This is my fifth exhaust in 3 years, and the only exhaust that has been suitable for a quiet cabin has been the OEM stock system. Right now, based on my brief drives in the car, I can tell you that there is "drone" as I personally would classify it. The noise isn't as bad as the previous speedtech system I owned, but is certainly there. Can I live with it? We'll see after a drive to Richmond for the monthly PCA/FSR breakfast.

Now, seat of the pants without touching my programer, I can tell you that the "free flowing" system really improved the acceleration of the car in 48 degree evening air. Performance has never been a concern with the system...

More after tomorrow's drive...

Oh, and on a personal note, I've decided to stick to things technical in nature, and DIY-ish. I have a relationship with some here that I do care about. Some of those relationships are with vendors that I respect and feel are good people.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 03-07-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM
BlueRanger is infamous around these parts
Nice initial review.

I have the speedtech 60mm and I am happy with it.

Did you get the quiet system?

Eric.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I have the quiet system for a little while now; it's definitely louder than the standard system, I personally wanted it louder. I agree on the clip thing, John has my feedback on that too.

I'll leave you to form your opinions but do me a favor, drop the windows, open the sunroof & let it rip in the upper rev range. I can share my thoughts once you form yours overall.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
bfk4lyfe is infamous around these parts
Which tips did you get it with?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I have a speedtech 70mm twin can. Drone is minimal. A snap to install. Took more time to get the stock system off. No bumper removal. Just be careful of the O2 sensor wires.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Mike,
Thanks for the review!! I've been waiting for you to review since I have similar 'tastes' in sound. I've been contemplating replacing the Fabspeed exhaust on my car as I feel it has terrible drone in the upper 2K range and sounds like a leaf blower when I get on it Did you ever have the Fabspeed (Maxflo sport)? What were your opinions on it compared to this exhaust? As you get more seat time, i'd appreciate a follow up on this thread to help me make my decision!

Thanks again.

PS, can you please PM me the site that you are using now, i lost it.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
JeremyS is infamous around these parts
I've got about 2k street miles on my 3" xcellerator w/ 100 cell cats. It does drone if you keep the engine loaded from about 2500-2800 RPM, but not as bad as some of the other popular exhausts that I've experienced. I find myself staying in a lower gear than normal most of the time, especially when driving at low speeds in my hilly neighborhood. If the prevailing speed on the freeway is under ~70, I stay in 5th. Basically, I keep my cruise RPM around 3000 and there is no drone. Honestly, I'd probably do that anyway, just so I can listen to the sweet sound of this exhaust! I just about never turn on the stereo in my car. After a recent 2+ hour blast on some twisties, the exhaust got a bit louder (and better sounding IMO) but the drone reduced significantly. Even my wife noticed yesterday that the drone was reduced without me saying anything.

Installation tip -When installing the stock straps on the speedtech muffler can, use two of those squeeze handle 'quick clamps' to pull the strap tight before inserting the bolt. I struggled to shape the clamps just right before I decided to just use the clamps to pull the ends together.

John @Speedtech is great to deal with and incredibly responsive. He called me back immediately when I had an issue with the install. On a Sunday morning!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
So after about 2.5 hours round trip in the car I'm torn. The exhaust SOUNDS amazing when you crack into it with the windows down and the roof open as Danyol mentions. There is a drone under load between 55-65mph, but it isn't horrible. I "think" I can live with it. Overall it wasn't bad on the interstate at 75-78MPH and it passed the 65mph on the bluetooth standalone speaker test. This system also exhibited no "buzzing" in the interior, so the drone is very minimal in most RPM ranges.

This IS the quiet version... I admit I'm picky when it comes to interior noise (mentioned earlier) and I had to crank the iPod up well above 10 on the volume (I'm used to 5-6) to compete with cabin noise, but only sometimes...

Duanne996TT, I had that same exhaust and John claims that I got an early version that had issues with tonal change under hot track extended driving conditions. That system got so bad for me I was getting headaches driving the car. It's not the "LOUDness" of the system, but the drone was horrid. It was so bad that we simply wouldn't drive the car when I was taking my wife anywhere with me.

BKF4lyfe, I got the large single round tips and they look very nice. I'll put the car back on the lift and give the bolts another tightening, now that the system has been heat cycled a time or two.

Overall this system is a good bargain, but again, it isn't going to be as quiet as stock inside the car. I don't know if the stock system has an equal when it comes to interior quiet comfort. I've even been in a couple of those vaulted "Europipe" equipped cars with the EP2 Quiet and they're about as loud as this system, but much heavier.

The plus side of John's system is you really do put the car on a diet with this system. All of the clamps, and pipes go together with ease, and the finish of the components is top notch. Yea the system is probably made in south east asia, but I don't honestly care. I can't save the world, might as well save my wallet.

I'm over on renntrack, as well as rennlist and renntech, for those who care.

Mike

Old 03-06-2010, 02:30 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Hrm, I'd like to hear this puppy one day. My exhaust is pretty bad to me but everyone has their threshold so Mike I'll try to bump into you one day and we can listen to one another's cars. Having never driven another 996 I'd be interested in impressions of mine as well. I've got 3 out of 4 new wheels\tires for my car and will get the last soon so I'll be back on the road with a proper set of shoes

Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 AM
I actually did have a FABspeed unit on my car at one point. It was a 2nd Gen and I don't remember much more about it other than it was only slightly quieter than the gutted factory system that came on the car when I bought it. The factory system, when opened up with a plasma cutter and baffles removed, is quite honestly the loudest thing I've heard on these cars. It shrieks like mad and buzzes the whole cabin from off idle to redline.

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Mike,
Thanks for the review!! I've been waiting for you to review since I have similar 'tastes' in sound. I've been contemplating replacing the Fabspeed exhaust on my car as I feel it has terrible drone in the upper 2K range and sounds like a leaf blower when I get on it Did you ever have the Fabspeed (Maxflo sport)? What were your opinions on it compared to this exhaust? As you get more seat time, i'd appreciate a follow up on this thread to help me make my decision!

Thanks again.

PS, can you please PM me the site that you are using now, i lost it.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Took my wife to dinner in the car last night and her initial thoughts were that is was as loud as the old speedtech system we had on the car. Who knows, it was over a year ago when we sold the thing and maybe her memory is a tad bit off... The old system certainly was louder than this one, by far...

This unit is certainly comperable to the EP2 sound, but I'll need to get with Larry and Gunther and a few other guys and do a comparo. BLKMGK, you should be there when we get everyone together, so you can sample a wide variety of systems.

Mike

Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have had/been in a handful of exhaust systems.. and honestly they ALL drone be it a quiet or loud version. I've been in cars with $4500 exhaust systems and they droned more then cheaper set ups...
In my opinion, a 100% drone-less exhaust does not exist... at least not with $2K to 3.5K price lag...
Also, I have seen the same exhaust on different turbo combinations emit different sound levels too... thus a k16 at .7 bar will probably not sound the same as Alpha gt28 at 1.3 bar for example....
Just my opinion..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
I have had/been in a handful of exhaust systems.. and honestly they ALL drone be it a quiet or loud version. I've been in cars with $4500 exhaust systems and they droned more then cheaper set ups...
In my opinion, a 100% drone-less exhaust does not exist... at least not with $2K to 3.5K price lag...
Also, I have seen the same exhaust on different turbo combinations emit different sound levels too... thus a k16 at .7 bar will probably not sound the same as Alpha gt28 at 1.3 bar for example....
Just my opinion..
i believe in that ...

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review - I agree about the straps and will look for a source, as it would make the installation a lot simpler. As for the drone, with the quiet version, I feel it is nearly completely eliminated and about as little as you can get and still have a free flowing performance exhaust. I am sensitive to drone, too and I can live with the 2.5 quiet and totally enjoy it. Any more and it would cross the threshold for me.

Also, just so you know, the exhaust is 100% made in the USA, it's not an import. We actually design, test and manufacture the system ourselves.

Mark is right, the same exhaust will sound different with different sized turbos, OEM K16's being the quietest.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 03-07-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Mike, I'm not sure whether I bought or sold the Supersprint exhaust I previously had with you, sounds like you are not going to last long with this one either, I've had Cargraphic Loud (drone disaster), Supersprint (actually ok) and now am happily back with my 100 cell race cat but otherwise fully gutted OEM system with no drone and can't see me changing as it gives the most boost of any without drone and good sound. I have equal length headers. Otherwise I suggest you get a Ferrari as well, maybe a 360 Stradale *** they are now super cheap

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speedtech Xcellerator exhaust - initial review