996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Maintenance & mod items while engine & transmission out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jpflip
If you are talking about this one it is in fact a TSB. Valve lift solenoid. This bracket (#27) can fail.... Good thing to check while engine out... Good suggestion from D_Nyholm...
Yes this is the one, nice, thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
+1 for Tranny cooler, there are 2 types, air to liquid and liquid to liquid, air to liquid will be less expensive but not as effective. Damn near essential if you are going to add a bunch of power and then drive the shiite out of it.
goals are about in area of 600hp (think that's whp, what ever k24/18gs will do). Just a street car, but do drive it as one does at track, just not corner after corner for laps at a time. Would a tranny cooler be of any use for a hard driven street car?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Definitely, mine has been mostly 90% road but like yours, very hard driven. Something I learned the hard way is that the turbo doesnt have the oil jets on all the gears like the GT2/3, just 1-4. Cooling the tranny fluid will help maintain longevity.

Originally Posted by Mad Ness
goals are about in area of 600hp (think that's whp, what ever k24/18gs will do). Just a street car, but do drive it as one does at track, just not corner after corner for laps at a time. Would a tranny cooler be of any use for a hard driven street car?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Madness, the oil reservoir tank cooler - a small radiator for cooling the oil has fittings that are press fit and glued in place. The epoxy breaks down and the fittings pop out. It has happened to me twice now. The original part went 6 years. The second time was a new OEM part that failed after less than 1 year, while under warranty. The problem is that the part is not the big money, the labor to replace it is...if I ever have to go there again, without question, I will have the fittings welded in place to prevent it from ever happening again.
hadn't come across this until your post here. definitely not something to ignore. thank you.

Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Definitely, mine has been mostly 90% road but like yours, very hard driven. Something I learned the hard way is that the turbo doesnt have the oil jets on all the gears like the GT2/3, just 1-4. Cooling the tranny fluid will help maintain longevity.
hmmm, right, I remember reading somewhere 5th and 6th dont have the cooling feature. Most of the hard driving is done on mountain twists so the car never makes it out of 4th. Wonder if most of the value in the tranny cooler is for the 5th and 6th gears... I'm sure there's threads on here about this. Will do a search. thanks

Last edited by Mad Ness; 03-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.